Turbo...

I think i know the answer to this but if theres hope that its not the answer then ill sleep better.

Driving home tonight, went to accelerate past someone in 2nd/3rd gear and all of a sudden "bang" sudden loss in power and a loud winning coming from the engine. Pulled back in, as i was on a bypass, hazards on and managed to get to a safe car park to stop in.

First thoughts are turbo has blown, and i think it has. Check under the bonnet, all the pipes on top seem to still be connected but couldn't see the one near the intercooler at the bottom as it was too dark, so not 100% sure if its a pipe that has blown off or not.

I am guessing that it is my turbo though and when you start the car it starts whining/whistling, gets louder if you rev it. Not sure if there is any power still as i am afraid to put my foot down as it may do more damage than good.

Anyone shed some light on it and confirm the worst before i get green flag to take me to the garage tomorrow!

last time my pipe had popped off at the intercooler i had exactly the same symptoms as your getting but i could hear the resonance of the pressure echoing as such out of the boost pipe so if you also have that noise then i would guess its a pipe off if not best guess would be the turbo

Well went back to where i left the car. Tried to see if the pipe had come off but no luck. Called Greenflag and they actually turned up in 10 minutes. They had a look and said it was the seal on the actuator on the turbo. They also said it was drivable to the garage, which it was(i think) so 5 mile trip to the garage. Left it with them and they said they would call me with a price.

My question is can you replace just the actuator/actuator seal? Or is it still a whole turbo replacement?

Thanks,

Just spoke to the garage. Definetly the turbo, as they have found a lump of metal in it!

Any idea where the lump would of come from?

Where is best to get a turbo?

Depends what you're after.

Within the last few weeks mine went. I spent hours researching prices and quality of standard turbo's for this car. The best place I found was Turbo Dynamics http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/index.php. They charged me £627 for a new standard Garrett PD130 including delivery & VAT. They didn't even need the old unit back.

The turbo is miles better than the standard BorgWarner KKK turbo. Aparently they're designed better and will last longer. These Garrett turbo's are totally standard and the alternative to the KKK turbo, so you don't need to inform the insurance either.

Hope that helps mate.

Thanks. It does actually as I just ordered the same one £599 and its next day delivery. Was contemplating upgrading but just decided to go with the standard one but stronger unit. Just it feel better or anything?

Thanks

Yeah definitely feels better. My only downside at present is that it has a boost leak, due to probably using the old pipes/seals etc. It's back in the garage being repaired as we speak.

However, all the time I've been driving it since the new turbo was fitted, it's a million miles better than the old one.

Good choice :thumbup:

When Unit18 said my turbo "didn't soudn the best" I toyed with gettin a new superior Garrett turbo but couldn't justify the price.

As such i bought a second hand KKK trubo with half the mileage.

The TD website says the Garrett turbos are for ASZ engines though, do you by chance have a younger car with a BLT engine?

I'm pretty sure the turbos are identical it's the manifolds and EGR valves which are different.

If you remove manifold from the new turbo and use the old one it should go on (maybe)

Or of course they could have just sent you the wrong one.

Did they need to do anything different to fit it? Apparently they can't get the inter cooler pipe to connect to the turbo?

Hey mate, sorry not replied, not been on here for a few days!

The garage did need to undo a few bolts slightly on the housing to fit it on. I believe these turbos were originally designed for a Golf GTI, but they do something to it before it leaves the warehouse for our type of car!

I hope you get it sorted though.

Yeah definitely feels better. My only downside at present is that it has a boost leak, due to probably using the old pipes/seals etc. It's back in the garage being repaired as we speak.

However, all the time I've been driving it since the new turbo was fitted, it's a million miles better than the old one.

Good choice :thumbup:

Sorry it's slightly off the subject , but just found out the above issue is due to needing a new lower intercooler pipe as it's split! So, don't worry there's nothing wrong with this turbo - thank god!!

Edited by Mounty

Nope definitely an asz engine!

Apparently you can have different variants on the asz engine. Note to anyone buying one from Turbo Dynamics, don't but of the website it's the wrong one, give them a call.

Hopefully they have picked up the wrong one today and the new one will be there tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Just want the car back now.

Sorry it's slightly off the subject , but just found out the above issue is due to needing a new lower intercooler pipe as it's split! So, don't worry there's nothing wrong with this turbo - thank god!!

Ah that's good news! They had to replace a pipe on mine because that had split too.

Turbo is one of the worst things to go wrong!