Fuse for cigarette lighter in front and rear circuit

Hi all,

'Somehow' some money has fallen into the 12v socket in the front console and (presumably) shorted the circuit. I've looked at the fuse (No35?) in the fuse box by the door but it seems fine.

Are there any in line fuses I should know about?

Thanks

James

Be carefull. This happened earlier in the week at a car park at the Trafford Center in Manchester. The car was an Octavia and it went up in flames as the short caused a fire behind the dash!!! (I think I read it on the Manchester Evening News site)

Not sure what fuse it is but remove it ASAP so you don't have a fire!!!

Edited by gianthotdog

Be carefull. This happened earlier in the week at a car park at the Trafford Center in Manchester. The car was an Octavia and it went up in flames as the short caused a fire behind the dash!!! (I think I read it on the Manchester Evening News site)

Bl00dy Hell! I got the money out straight away, just need to figure out how to fix it... Cheers for the warning though.

Strange, a short circuit will blow any fuse instantly no matter what power rating.

Retired M V Tech.

Strange, a short circuit will blow any fuse instantly no matter what power rating.

Retired M V Tech.

Yeah but how many numpties follow this line of thought:

1. Fuse blew, that sucks. Replaces fuse with same rating.

2. Fuse blows again, that sucks. Replaces fuse with one with higher rating rather than solving the root problem.

3. Wiring melts.

It happens regularly.

The fuse should be easy to find, it will be one of the largest in the fuse box. Pull some of the other large fuses out to see if any of them have failed.

Is this a good idea? Don't want to inadvertantly 'reset' something I shouldn't...

Is this a good idea? Don't want to inadvertantly 'reset' something I shouldn't...

No not overly!

IIRC the fuse is this one where I have taken the ‘power tap’ from.

DSC01428.jpg

Retired M V Tech.

The Fuse blowing out 'instantly' depends on the contact (short) conditions. If the contact is just enough to match a low resistance, it would instantly heat up enough to cause a fire instantly. Have seen this happen and experienced it first hand.

• 1 month later...