When to change the engine coolant

At the next service my main dealer has told me that the engine coolant will need changing.

In spite of the low mileage which will have been done by that time, approximately 15,000miles, it is necessary to protect the internals as well as providing anti-freezing properties.

On contacting several main dealers I have had conflicting information on the need and frequency to change the coolant.

So does anyone have any official input on when the coolant should be changed and what type is specified by the manufacture.

My wife has a 10 year old Yaris which still has the original factory fitted "Long Life" coolant

and this was checked at the last service and found to be within spec and did not require changing.

So if Toyota can fit a 10 year plus product to their cars, why can't a high technology company like VAG do the same for their customers.

I am seriously considering using the Toyota "long Life" in the Octy and would like to hear from other members on this.

Thanks in advance for any information.

It can be tested and will not need changing as long as it is up to concentrate. Any decent garage will be able to carry this out for you.

It can be tested and will not need changing as long as it is up to concentrate. Any decent garage will be able to carry this out for you.

Thanks jrw, I agree with you on this one.

I'm not sure that most main dealers will hold this view. Can I hear the till being rung in the background,

So you see the confusion that I'm in, already we have two contradictions as to when/whether to change the coolant.

By the way you will see from my avatar that my cam belt needs changing every # years. (1.4 TSI)

If you are paying for the water pump change as per national pricing I.e £349 or whatever it is your old antifreeze will be reused. That price doesn't include new coolant.

I hope that they use a clean container then when they empty it then.

Paul

We all bought brand new containers when it became apparent that new coolant wasnt part of the price for just that reason. We can advise that its changed if its weak or too strong etc but its an additional item.

But there isnt any confusion. There is NO interval to change it, as long as its concentration is within range (checked with a refractometer) then it can be reused.

We all bought brand new containers when it became apparent that new coolant wasnt part of the price for just that reason. We can advise that its changed if its weak or too strong etc but its an additional item.

But there isnt any confusion. There is NO interval to change it, as long as its concentration is within range (checked with a refractometer) then it can be reused.

vwdan1986 wrote -

"but it would be done every 4 years when you have your cam belt done,"

The rule of thumb used to be.

Blue - 2 years.

Green - 3 years.

Red - 5 years.

For the cost of it why not get it changed after all you wouldnt leave your engine oil in for that lenght of time would you.

Does my 1.4 TSI have a cam belt ????

I don't know, either Cam belt or Chain but Techie has already said that there is no interval that skoda tell the dealers it must be changed. If you want it changed then tell them to change it but if the dealer has told you it must be changed then they are lying to you.

Skoda do not stipulate a coolant change on any of their services.

My understanding is that this means its good for the expected lifetime of the car which these days is 10 years or 100k miles, therefore maybe change it if you have exceeded (or are going to soon exceed) one of these.

For me, I had it done with the cam belt/water pump at 83k miles/4.5 years as it cost me very little extra.

If you're not changing it then I would recommend a quick check on the concentration before winter just to be safe.

• Like 1

For Central European Conditions -37C is recommended by Skoda.

I bought an Octavia Scout to drive to the Alps, I found out my coulant would freeze at -25C! I did not bought this car to stay within the Netherlands!

In some wintersport resorts (e.g. Sankt Moritz) temperature might easiliy drop to -30C at night.

You will also need some margin for error, the coolant has to be dilluted, a small error in dillution will result in different freezing points.

My dealer solved this,by removing part of the coulant in my car and replacing it by undilluted coulant, resulting in -37C resistant coulant.

If anyone wants to check the range of their coolant themselves you can get a hydrometer very cheap on ebay or for the fancier people a little more money and you can get a refractometer.

This reminds me that I will need to start checking all the vehicles in work again as its coming to that time of year bahhhhhh.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-ANTI-FREEZE-HYDROMETER-TESTER-COOLANT-RADIATOR-HOT-COLD-STRENGTH-427656-/320882020704?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4ab60f1160

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Battery-Acid-Antifreeze-Cleanung-Fluid-Glycol-Coolant-Refractometer-F-/360499460697?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item53ef713a59