Enabling DLR's at night?

Hi Guys and Gals,

I posted a while back about changing the default DLR's from tungsten to LED.

Well having seen a few cars out there with them i must admit i am glad i did not.

The Tungstens are bright but soft at the same time, when you have an Audi or a Honda with LED DLR's comming towards you and you wear glasses, i think you will get what i mean.

Only my opinion....

My question is that on the Octavia vRS the DLR's stay on at night and i was wondering whether the wizards of VAGCOM that reside on here know if there is a way to make it do the same on the Superb II?

I know ther is really no benefit to it, i just think it makes the car look nicer with a defined border for the front end at night.

Ford do it on there Galaxys and they look alright.

Any ideas VAGCOM mob?

BR

Nick

The LED DRLs on our octavia do stay on with the headlights and or sidelights but they are dimmed down to, I guess, about 1/3 brightness.

Is this what you mean?

It should be possible with VCDS I believe ?

if you mean you would like them to remain at full brightness with normal lights on then I guess the answer is no as it would be contrary to C&U regs

The LED DRL's when on by themselves are a bright as dipped beam headlights, so when the side & / main lights come on these dip down to the same brightness as sidelights.

If they remained the same then you would dazzle on comming traffic ( just like leaving fogs on).

If you have DLR's they should come out of the factory setup the same as the Octy, dim down when lights are switched on.

I wanted to do exactly that, I had a whiz trying to do it through the computer without success.

In the end I achieved to have the DRL's running at night by wiring them into the wire that feeds the sidelights. If you try to go down that route, you have to be careful when doing the wiring, you have to wire in a couple of diodes in each light, so that the sidelights don't power up in the day by the wire from the DRL, and so that the control module doesn't get burnt out at night by the return load.

I know that it is a bit technical for some guys, but to me it was worth the effort.

Enjoy!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I still don't get why you would want to have a light, which to all intent and purposes is designed to be seen clearly in bright sunlight illuminated at night. I would not want to be in front of a car with DRL's on at night, or be driving towards one either. They are bad enough in daylight, let alone the dark where the light intensity will surely be incredibly dazzling due to the brightness and non directional light pattern.

My question is that on the Octavia vRS the DLR's stay on at night and i was wondering whether the wizards of VAGCOM that reside on here know if there is a way to make it do the same on the Superb II?

I know ther is really no benefit to it, i just think it makes the car look nicer with a defined border for the front end at night.

As other's have said the DRLs on the Octavia vRS dim when the main dipped beams come on. The DRLs on the Superb II are different to that of the latest vRS in that they are filament bulbs rather than strip LEDs.

I presume you want to disable the filament bulbs and either replace them for LEDs (which many of the Superb II owners have already done on here) or retro fit strip LEDs ala vRS?? Eitherway I don't see the benefit of having them remain on with the dipped beams - in the current Superb II setup that would just look like you're running with fogs on.

Just my 2p though.

DRLs should be connected so that they come on with your ignition and switch off when the vehicle’s lighting is switched on, unless they have a night styling function which reduces the light output for night time driving. Any other configuration is against the legislation, as well as being annoying to other motorists!

Ray

Really?

Do you have a link please?

Yes, try the following item on ebay:

Item: 2x CREE Q5 382 P21W LED REVERSE LIGHT LAMPS BULBS FORD FOCUS Mk2 2 ST 225

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/? nav=item.view&id=220990447361

I tried the ones from alltronics, and these are much wighter and more directional. Having said that, I'm not taking responsibility that it meets the regulations.... :-*

Just leave the lights alone and enjoy the car for what it is. :happy:

Due to excessive heat build up, Leds can and might screw up your light fittings, believe me I know.

If you don't bugger about with the lights, you won't bugger them up.

Edited by Tankdave
  • Like 1

Due to excessive heat build up, Leds can and might screw up your light fittings

LED's don't get half as hot as the filament bulbs that come OEM

Being an electrical engineer, I'm rather aware that Leds don't get as hot as filiments,

It's the resistors that are reducing the voltage supply to the Leds that get hot, getting rid of 10Volts is achieved by turning the unwanted energy into heat, that's the problem. i.e. The resistors get hot, they burn stuff around them, this causes fumes, this coats the entire inside of the Fog/Drl, you have to replace them, it costs a fortune.

Like I said, Led replacements can get stupidly hot, it's not an argument, it's a fact.

Edited by Tankdave

• 2 weeks later...

Being an electrical engineer, I'm rather aware that Leds don't get as hot as filiments,

It's the resistors that are reducing the voltage supply to the Leds that get hot, getting rid of 10Volts is achieved by turning the unwanted energy into heat, that's the problem. i.e. The resistors get hot, they burn stuff around them, this causes fumes, this coats the entire inside of the Fog/Drl, you have to replace them, it costs a fortune.

Like I said, Led replacements can get stupidly hot, it's not an argument, it's a fact.

In most LED-bulbs in the high power scale, like the BA15S on Superb there is no voltage drop resistor inside. Most of these bulbs has a small DC/DC converter inside.

The smaller onces, like for sidelights, has a drop resistor.

Just saying there is LED bulbs with different technologies outthere, they are not all the same.