Citigo automatic

pumpsmynads

So my car was in for some work today and they gave me a Citigo automatic and thought I'd share my comments on here (if anyone cares :-))

What a great little car. Plenty of room up front and a boot that's actually quite useful. Drove pretty well and just right for around town.

However, that automatic box isn't just dreadful, I'd categorise it as downright dangerous! How VW group think that it is acceptable (I assume it's the same in all 3 vehicles) to put that in any car is beyond me. The gear changes both down as well as up take literally 2 seconds with what feels like clutch drag while it does it. Now I know it's built to a price but for something designed for cities it inspires zero confidence as it might just decide mid roundabout to change gears or when pulling out of a junction. Surely VW had something better than this in the 1980s?

Did I have a faulty one or are your experiences with this 'box similar? A genuinely not fit for purpose transmission from my perspective.

Edited by pumpsmynads

my next door neighbour has just bought one she asked me if i would like to try it nice car but as you said the auto is just dreadfull it reminded me of my old lorry driving days 30 years ago when you had to double- de clutch waiting for the revs to die down befour you changed gear.i have driven auto for twenty years and this is the worst one i have ever driven

bill

It has to be said that you can buy an new Fabia DSG for £9834 on the road.

Or an SE Plus Fabia DSG with metallic paint for £11408 on the road.

Nice gearbox and a bit more metal for your money and not that much dearer than a Citigo.

Edited by oldstan

Hi George,

I used to hate automatics and never owned one until now and have a vrs with the dsg.

I have driven a lot in the past tho with previous jobs ranging from 4 speed slushymatics (old Fords) to the latest 8 speed ZF unit (Jaguars.)

I got the auto since a stint in the US earlier this year and got the bug.

Hahaha!

I just read the 'review' of the Citigo you posted. I put the word review in quotes as they can seriously not have driven the auto version.

"The Citigo however also feels quite nippy, due to the quick smooth shifts of the ASG gear box"

That is simply a lie!

Double de-clutching is definitely more the description I'd go for as Bill mentions above. I am of course too young to remember such a thing however ;-)

Looking with even more anticipation to the test drive.

I wonder if the salesperson will come away with 'its an automated manual, and it may feel slightly different'.

What are VAG thinking. 2012/13 surely they could come up with a smooth autobox. or even Automated Manual.

the Multidrive (CVT) in the iQ 1.0 is wonderful IMO.

I know others dislike it tho.

george

i think death traps a bit harsh you just need to buy a manual then you will have quite a nice car,but sounds like you might get wet now and then. And now my friend says she gets covered with water every time she opens the door when its wet, oh dear skoda.back to the drawing board. cost her £10.000 as well oops

bill

It has to be said that you can buy an new Fabia DSG for £9834 on the road.

Or an SE Plus Fabia DSG with metallic paint for £11408 on the road.

Nice gearbox and a bit more metal for your money and not that much dearer than a Citigo.

But ask yourself why you can buy a Fabia for these prices. The reason is because they aren't selling very well - that is why they are heavily discounted - not because Skoda want to give the world am early Christmas present. And when you come to sell it you will get even less for it because the forecourts will be full of second hand ones that they can't shift. With the way running costs are going a Citigo will be worth more on three years time - just wait and see. I have tried an automatic. I didn't compare it to DSG because it isn't a DSG and therefore doesn't command the premium that the DSG does. I still didnt particularly like the ASG though so I went for the 5 Speed Manual gearbox which is a little gem IMO. I haven't noticed any unusual whines or clattering as described in other posts and it is slick and smooth right from cold in the morning.

The Auto box on the Citigo is the same type as the Smart. Every motoring journo has called the auto box in the Smart saying the same as is now being said about the citigo,however they do say the change is better in the diesel Smart.

I owned a petrol Smart in 2003 and now have a 2009 diesel Smart. I find the auto change is perfectly ok as long as you do not race around everywhere.If you take things nice and easy it is fine. In the diesel i find the change nice and smooth.

I am sure i would find the auto Citigo ok as well,infact i would not dream of having a manual car these days in todays traffic conditions. What is driving today?It is just a load of stop starts.Drive a few yards and stop for traffic lights.Another few yards and stop for zebra or pelican crossing.Another few yards and traffic jams etc etc up and down the box on and off the clutch,NO THANKS.I love autos,perfect for town driving.

If the auto box in the Citigo is not smooth as silk or 100% perfect i can put up with it. I have had loads of manual cars over the years and loads of automatics,but now it will be automatics every time.

Edited by SMART EXAMINER

I think the problem is that it is all too easy to compare these semi-auto boxes to true auto boxes or DSG boxes.

If you think of a manual box it would take a couple of seconds to change gear in that too.

What this box offers is all the benefits of a manual (lower fuel consumption, simpler tech etc) with the added benefits of driving with a auto liscense or easy town driving without the hassle of the clutch and moving the lever.

Phil

Having driven the ASG a few times, at first I had my reservations and it was all too easy to try and compare it against a DSG.

Will agree with Phil and SmartExaminer on the points raised, it's no DSG and does act more like a manual.

Reference to Smarts comments, if you are just pottering around town, stop start driving etc, it is good as gold and you would easily live with it - low rev gear changes etc. If you want a car that is going to seamlessly change through the gears, then it's a DSG.

I had an ASG go out the other day and from taking it in to our yard, I thought I'd have a go using the 'manual' side. Admittedly it won't be to everyones taste (why buy an Auto and drive it as a manual?) but it did click through the gears smoothly.

May have to pay a visit to some rival manufacturers just to see how their boxes fair up.

Hi, We had a Citigo ASG last weekend and we are used to DSG from the Superb.

In need for a replacement of my wifes old car we are considering this one.

First impression: Dreadful and we will never get used to it.

After some driving: We actual found it OK and it fits to the car. Driving to work and back in the busy hours, we found it more pleasant than manual. We have decided for a ASG now.

I agree in the point that it is not everybodys taste.

Many people will be happy to buy an automatic and use it as a manual quite often if they work ok,

many people have only the use of one foot & it is a clutch that they can not use.

Motability have them on their lists as one of the cheapest weekly rental & nil deposit automatics available,

it will be interesting to see comments from drivers with disabilities once there are more available and being driven.

http://www.motability.co.uk

If they become popular with Motability Customers there will be a plenty of used ones available in 3 years time at the end of the lease period.

george

But ask yourself why you can buy a Fabia for these prices. The reason is because they aren't selling very well - that is why they are heavily discounted - not because Skoda want to give the world am early Christmas present. And when you come to sell it you will get even less for it because the forecourts will be full of second hand ones that they can't shift. With the way running costs are going a Citigo will be worth more on three years time - just wait and see. I have tried an automatic. I didn't compare it to DSG because it isn't a DSG and therefore doesn't command the premium that the DSG does. I still didnt particularly like the ASG though so I went for the 5 Speed Manual gearbox which is a little gem IMO. I haven't noticed any unusual whines or clattering as described in other posts and it is slick and smooth right from cold in the morning.

I have no particular axe to grind....I haven't bought either a Fabia or a Citigo...merely noting, as others have before, that if you do need or want an auto. (as I do) the Fabia offers a nice box in a reasonable package for not a huge outlay. And you've overlooked the fact that you can buy a new Yeti for nigh on £3k off list if you get a top spec one with a few extras and no-one's suggesting that that will drop like a stone in 3 yrs time. Do we know that Fabias are selling slow? I don't know either way. The Fabia must be a bit long in the tooth given it's been out a while and maybe the list prices are a bit OTT?

" I didn't compare it to DSG because it isn't a DSG " .....yes, you're right, that's a statement of fact - it isn't ...but when you've had one (a DSG) and rather liked it you might not necessarily want to drive something that's not as nice. I'll go and drive an ASG Citigo as there's one at the dealers now but don't need to change right now so will wait to see what's what as they become more familiar on the road.

I haven't overlooked anything - I have Yeti as well. We are a Yetigo family like a few others on here. My interpretation of big discounts is the dealer tempting the customer as quite obviously they can't sell enough at the full price. Furthermore big discounts lead directly to lower residuals - fact. We all remember when Porsches, Mercedes and BMW's had the strongest residuals when showroom discounts were unheard of. Now they all do discount and look what's happened to the residuals. Anyway this all rather off topic now. The sun is shining so I'm off out for a ride that will cost virtually nothing in my Citigo. One thing to be mindful of us that the most expensive Citigo is £1000 cheaper than the cheapest Mini. Keeping the cost in mind I think it is a cracking car with some if the latest technology that isn't always obvious.

• 1 month later...

help!!!! my dear old mum (aged 78) has just bought a citygo automatic.....she likes the actual car but the gear box is a nightmare, she feels she is going to get rammed up the rear by someone because it seems to almost stall (but it doesn't) when changing gear and as we live in quite a hilly part of the country it is a major problem when driving up even the smallest incline. very tricky situation thou as shes not happy with it all but has brought it on a pcp and we don't know if we can get out of it. My hubby and I have both driven it and have found it to be lacking in all respects, it is not an automatic as a modern one should be (we have had a mini auto 10 plate and mum had seat arosa 02 plate auto before) . we are very disappointed and disheartened and don't really know what to do about it. Anyone out there got any ideas please? thank you. (we've tried the pulling the foot off the accelerator business, but it still feels as if its going to stop.) Also the car doesn't hold on the footbrake like hers and mine used to, so she's had to go back to using the handbrake which she finds quite hard work. Key is also difficult to turn in ignition of you have tiny frail hands, as the fob is far too bulky. If you know of anyone thinking of buying one for anyone over 40, warn them off!

help!!!! my dear old mum (aged 78) has just bought a citygo automatic.....she likes the actual car but the gear box is a nightmare, she feels she is going to get rammed up the rear by someone because it seems to almost stall (but it doesn't) when changing gear and as we live in quite a hilly part of the country it is a major problem when driving up even the smallest incline. very tricky situation thou as shes not happy with it all but has brought it on a pcp and we don't know if we can get out of it. My hubby and I have both driven it and have found it to be lacking in all respects, it is not an automatic as a modern one should be (we have had a mini auto 10 plate and mum had seat arosa 02 plate auto before) . we are very disappointed and disheartened and don't really know what to do about it. Anyone out there got any ideas please? thank you. (we've tried the pulling the foot off the accelerator business, but it still feels as if its going to stop.) Also the car doesn't hold on the footbrake like hers and mine used to, so she's had to go back to using the handbrake which she finds quite hard work. Key is also difficult to turn in ignition of you have tiny frail hands, as the fob is far too bulky. If you know of anyone thinking of buying one for anyone over 40, warn them off!

Read your post with interest but unable to assist with advice regarding what to do with it other than to go back to the dealer and throw yourself on his mercy if there are no legitimate get outs. Preston Motors, and one or two others, have said above that they felt you (she) might get used to it. Is that just possible in your case?

I keep looking at the reviews of the automatic when they (infrequently) appear hoping to convince myself that I might be talked in to one....but didn't fall in love with the one I drove.

I don't live that far from you and understand the meaning of the word 'hill' and would think, following the short drive I had in the automatic demonstrator, that round town and level driving would be worlds apart from frequent steep(ish) hill work and don't feel inclined towards one as we speak.

PS. I didn't actually get in the cars at the same time.....more like one after the other.. :-)

The DSG I have on the Yeti does hold on hills for a couple of seconds and, as you'll have seen above, I wonder whether a DSG Fabia would be a better bet given they're not much dearer. Can you chop the Citigo for a Fabia on your agreement if you pay something extra? Might be worth it? I also looked at the Suzuki Splash auto and it's barely any more expensive then the auto Citigo and hugely easy to get in and out of due to it's height and upright seating...I tried getting in and out of a Splash at the same time as the Swift and the Splash was a breeze. I have dodgy joints hence the comments.

Edited by oldstan

...If you know of anyone thinking of buying one for anyone over 40, warn them off!

Well I am 59 and perfectly satisfied with my ASG. Yes, it is not a real automatic. I had Mazda 3 automatic earlier and it was a real one. Citigo changes very early and slowly to a bigger gear. At first, this made me nervous, but it has never failed or stopped and I'am used to it now. My landscape though is probably not so hilly as yours.