Audible " dong " warning sound without any dash light

bill7437

Whilst driving my four month old Roomster this last weekend, my wife and self experienced a single audible alarm "dong " but without any light apparent on the dash to indicate a problem.

This happened on three separate occasions. Both seat belts were

fastened correctly, all doors and hatch fastened, no lights on, tyres OK. Can anyone throw any light on this phenomenon as to what this sound indicates ?? - local Skoda dealer baffled and over complicated manual of little help.

Could be John, certainly temp was low although on Saturday it was raining and I thought above 4 degrees. Did not notice the snowflake near to temp.Assume it would indicate freezing although a little pointless as one would normally be aware of this. Surprised that dealer was not aware. Do you know how long the snowflake indicates on dash - is it only momentary

so could have been overlooked????.

I agree with JohnSTV6 it could be the frost warning being activated. When you next hear the 'bong' have a look at the dash board, you should see the given temperature with a small snowflake symbol flashing. It only lasts a few moments.Usually 'bongs' when the temperature drops below 4 degrees. Keep warm...

Thanks gents for your replies. Surprised that this was not actuated when vehicle first driven on cold frosty morning but later when air

temperature warmed up after journey of around ten miles. Would have thought that if a frost warning, it would come on when car first

started or shortly afterwards rather than somewhile after even though the temperature might have still been around 4 degrees.

Seems to be nothing in the manual referring to this and think it a little pointless anyway. But at least I now know what it is. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In My Roomster the warning activates at 4 deg C and turns off at 6 deg C. Other bong warnings include low fuel (when the yellow light comes on), seat belts being undone whilst moving, putting the car into reverse gear, leaving the headlights on with ignition off.

Or may be the traffic announcement function of your radio unit. I just cannot remember the function's name. TA or something like this is the abbreviation.

But to be honest I believe that it was the frost warning .

@ hertsnminds

That reverse gear bong is due to DSG gearbox or due to park sensors or both? I am asking because this is my third Skoda, all manual gearboxes, and non of them did or do (Roomster) such a sound.

Hi Bill.

Mine only bongs when the outside temperature drops from above 4C to below 4C during my journey.

It does not bong if the outside temperature is already below 4C at the start of my journey.

I think it's a little pointless too.

• Like 1

Again thank you all, pity we can't switch the b..... thing off. Certainly this forum of real enthusiasts seem to know a damn sight more than my local dealer - don't really believe the J.D. Power survey, my impression is total c..p.

Love the car but the dealer oh dear !!!!!

That reverse gear bong is due to DSG gearbox or due to park sensors or both?
I think it might be a DSG and sensor thing. I know in my manual Toyota Verso there was 1 bong for selecting reverse and another to tell you the parking sensors were active (they had an on/off switch for towing).

I'd guess it is to confirm that the reverse sensors are working and active. I have only driven Skodas with the combination of reverse sensor and DSG, but if I remember correctly the bong (actually a beep) does not sound if I have a trailer (including electrical connections) hooked up to the car and select reverse. I think this can be tuned using VCDS, but I am not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

The low temp on my MKI Fabia only comes on (snowflake symbol) and a sound when the temp drops below the set point during the drive........if it is already below the set point it will show the snowflake but not sound....but as i keep my car in the garage mine is warm........then it goes off about 100yards down the road.. :giggle:

As for the low petrol warning............mine does a high pitch loud beeeeeeeeeep.........scares the carp out of you!!!.... :rofl:

Water begins to freeze approx 4 degrees C, hence the dong sound to aid awareness of the temperature. I think the roads can be very icy still even if the temperature is above 0. Once slid on some black ice when it was 2 degrees C.

A for it not coming on when you started the car it may be that the air around the sensor was above 4 degrees, and as you commenced your journey the colder air has worked its way through the engine bay and around the sensor.

• 3 weeks later...

It'll only ever 'bong' once in any given journey, and that's only if the temperature drops below 4 degree's celcius as your driving. As others have mentioned, if it's already below 4 degress when the engine is started it won't sound.

Hardly annoying!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not supposed to, if the temp drops below 4 degrees it sounds, if it then rises and again drops below 4 degrees during the same journey it won't sound for a second time.

This is mentioned in the manual too, so if yours is sounding each time the temp drops below 4 degrees then something is wrong.