Is today 'Rapid' Day?

Exactely. I've not seen one up close in the flesh yet but it seems to me people are forgetting the market that these models are aimed at. Granted with a load of options ticked then it becomes a bit costly but is it not meant to be a cheaper route into a larger car, provided you don't go mad.

I see or read similar comments about the Citygo...oh it's underpowered, or too small.....it's meant to live in the towns and city's therefore it seems to have perfect power for the job to me.

• Like 2

What makes you think there are no DRL?

They could be built into the headlights, like the Citigo.

I looked at one at my local stealers and the sales manager showed me the car and HE told me that the Rapid didn't come with DRL's

I will stand corrected though.

Miss informed by the Stealer, they DO have DRL's

By the way Auric, you are right. They are law on new models.

From the AA:

As a result of European legislation adopted in 2008 dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) have been required on all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012.

By the way Auric, you are right. They are law on new models.

From the AA:

As a result of European legislation adopted in 2008 dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) have been required on all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012.

Edited my Last Post, they have to be fitted but don't have to be used,

I think once the Octavia III comes out, the model line up will settle itself out and more people will "get it". I can see this being added to our company car list and them trying to tempt people out of their Golfs & Leons.

8182952688_0d6e44297b_c.jpg

At least I now know where they got the inspiration for the grille from:

112_0606_cars_36zdisney_pixar_film_carschick_hicks.jpg

• Like 1

That interior looks contemporary enough to me - it'll age well and won't look ridiculous in 7 years time on the second hand market, unlike the interiors of Citroen C4s and Honda Civics I've been looking at lately where my immediate thought is "they must have given the interior design contract to Tomy"

• Like 4

The DRL's are standard, but as mentioned do not have to be on all the time.

I think where a lot of the debate about price comes from is the fact (and has been mentioned) that it appears a tad expensive compared to the current Fabia Estate and Octavia. With the VAT free offer on the the other cars, especially the Octavia, it will come across dear. But when the Octy 3 comes out all prices will be reflected between the 2 cars.

I don't think there is anything in particular wrong with the car. I am sure it will sell ok, particularly in central Europe where people are looking for a car with a decent sized boot and plenty of passenger space for not much money. Is anyone else actually offering a car this large with a modern range of engines and gearboxes for this price?

But I think there are two "problems" with the pricing which is skewing people's opinion of the Rapid:

1) Skoda UK have gone in too high with the pricing. IMO it would have been better to keep the list prices lower and give smaller discounts than go in high and offer large discounts.

2) The current offers on the Fabia and Octavia, which really are a bargain, are making this look comparatively pricey. But the Octavia has stopped production and is only on run-out stock now and the Fabia is to be replaced in little over a year's time.

To anyone who thinks even with the available discounts that this car is expensive, I would say go and spec up a Polo - quite an eye opener!

So if we think 17-19k for a rapid is expensive.... i dread to think what an Octavia will be...

I thought Skoda was the budget end of the VW arm?? seems its trying to compete with them.

Just had a very quick scroll through WhatCar? on the compare 3 cars bit.

Admittedly the Rapid is lacking on some data, but the main point on comparing the Rapid (1.2 SE) to the Cee'd (1.4 2) and Focus (1.6 Edge) were:

Boot space: 550 (Rapid) 380 (Kia) 3something (Focus).

Emmissions: Rapid wins again.

Fuel Consumption: Rapid (55) Kia (46) Focus (47).

Just 3 points that customers tend to look at now days. Interestingly from the WhatCar? website you cannot get a Kia in a 3 or 4 spec in petrol, all engines were showing CDI or CRDI (although I may stand corrected).

As mentioned this was a very quick play around, just to see, and my knowledge of other marques is minimal so I could be comparing 3 completely different cars.

Prices do appear to be creeping ever upward (more so than income); paid less for a optioned Yeti 4x4 Elegance two years ago, than these optioned Rapid SE showroom cars :S

Wasn't for VAT free on the Fabia I think I'd be giving up on new cars; let someone else take the initial hit, especially as ESP at last is becoming standard (about time SUK).

Do like the looks of the Rapid though and a second hand one might be on the cards when I replace the Yeti, probably in 2014/15.

TP

• Like 1

Go and have a proper look at the VW pricelist...

Just have done. An S spec Golf with the 85 TSI lump is over £17k :sweat: The Rapid SE 85 is £14,650 :happy:

I know I'm a dealer (sorry stealer :giggle: ) but I think I know where I'd be spending my money.

On a seperate note. Ignore the SE showroom cars for standard pricing, these are highly specced (£2,500 of options IIRC) to show other options that can be fitted. The Rapid doesn't start at £17k :whew:

The Rapid SE 85 is £14,650 :happy:

What's the main difference between the S and SE trim levels? I'm on a Fabia 1 Blackline atm, and while the leather steering wheel and sunroof are all well and good, I'd much rather have had central locking and a light in the boot :doh:

S with the TSI engine is £13,700. SE over the S is alloys, A/C, leather steering wheel and gaiter, MDI, 6 speakers, Electric mirrors, MAXI-DOT and Bluetooth @ £14,650 + Metallic.

A snag with the S is that you can't order A/C. But going by Fabia prices, £560 just for Air, I'd be more inclined to part with a few more £££'s and get the SE spec anyway.

Interesting... I'm looking to change mine next April/May time and normally I'd be looking at the second hand market, but depending on what contract deals are available I might be tempted (pending a positive test drive, of course).