100% Electric Cars - Do we have a winner?

Jabozuma

"£70 PCM battery rental" - Guess what; that's more than I spend on hc fuel! And doesn't account for electricity costs foe Zoey, never mind even look at her CO2 footprint including transmission losses.

I read through scientific analysis of CO2 footprint comparison between green diesel and EV car. Surprisingly batteries only accounted for 2.5% of the overall...

I also think transmission losses are minimised with electric cars compared with internal combustion engines. Motor drives the wheels directly without any gearbox in the way and the amount of moving parts between EV and IC cars is huuge!

Mind you, £70/month includes free of charge battery packs replacement after 5 years.

Whats the range at -5C with the heaters on driving hilly roads at 50-60mph?

I don't think I'll ever see an electric car manufacturer answer that.

• Like 1

Whats the range at -5C with the heaters on driving hilly roads at 50-60mph?

I don't think I'll ever see an electric car manufacturer answer that.

Until they manage to get more efficient batteries into mass production that is .

Even with my less than enthusiastic approach to two wheels, this is a winner for me.

......same range as those hideous electric cars, but only 30mins re-charge time and a far far cooler look ;)

• Like 2

Until they manage to get more efficient batteries into mass production that is .

yes, mine the lithium, ship it on a big oil powered boat to Europe, make it into a battery, using more fuel, put it back on a boat and ship it on another oil burning boat, take it to the car plant on a train/ truck, using more oil, make it into a car, then ship it on another boat to where it'll be sold in a car. Tell me again about these new-fangled electricimaty powered cars green credentials :think: :rofl:

I read through scientific analysis of CO2 footprint comparison between green diesel and EV car. Surprisingly batteries only accounted for 2.5% of the overall...

I also think transmission losses are minimised with electric cars compared with internal combustion engines. Motor drives the wheels directly without any gearbox in the way and the amount of moving parts between EV and IC cars is huuge!

Mind you, £70/month includes free of charge battery packs replacement after 5 years.

How does the electricity get into the batteries? The last figures I saw had the grid at about 33%, and that gives electric cars effective CO2 emissions of about 150g/km.

They still will want to fib by quoting ranges as set in the Californian desert at 30C on a perfectly flat cornerless road. Can't imagine they'll be keen to tell the truth that their 300mile range goes to 25 at -5C.

The worst thing is if I could get a real world cheap ppm electric car that'll do 100 miles in any conditions at proper speeds I'd get one in a shot even if it was bike.

How does the electricity get into the batteries? The last figures I saw had the grid at about 33%, and that gives electric cars effective CO2 emissions of about 150g/km.

Sorry, I misunderstood. :)

This is even more pronounced when electricity is produced from coal burning power plants...

Ideally, electricity for recharging batteries in EV should only come from renewable sources to make it environmentally viable.

You could have a leccy car with a range of 2000 miles and still people wont buy them because they lack the spontaneity of a petrol car that is willing and ready to drive at a moments notice.

masses of torque and it's instant with leccy though. But your point is valid, what happens if you need to go somewhere 'now!' but you have to say, 'sorry, can't come yet, car's still plugged into the wall' :p

I think that is also to do with people not able to plan ahead i.e. with EV cars trips have to be planned carefully to avoid being stranded and most people do not like that really... Limits their freedom or something ;)

Yeah, understood. But what happens if a leccy car only couple, for example, need to rush to hospital as she's pushing out a fresh consumer? Hold it in dear, the bloody car's still charging :D
  • Like 1

The only way I can ever see electric cars becoming a viable option is if the range is around 300 miles + and the batteries are mounted on a tray which slides out and a fully charged pack slides back in within 5 - 10 minutes.

The Hydrogen cars sound a good option, but the power costs used to produce the hydrogen will be high and the government will still need to generate taxes from the motorist.

• Like 1

As some people on here may remember I had a Nissan Leaf on trial for two weeks.

Some things surprised me, as I thought I'd hate it and find it completely pointless being a bit of a petrol head.

First off, I quite enjoyed driving it, because it was different. I would certainly entertain an electric car for daily commuting.

But people that moan about the range need to think how they'd use it. It won't suit everyone.

I do roughly 80 miles per day. My wife does about 30 per week, in two or three journeys.

For us we could quite happily run an electric car for my commuting donkey and my wife keep a petrol car for local and occasional use.

Then of a weekend when we go any distance (which we always do together) the petrol would be used.

Looked at like this it makes a lot of sense. The bulk of the milage would be undertaken by the electric car and a range of 100 miles is fine.

The Renault Zoe that's coming out does interest me, I want to see how good it is as I naturally have an adversion to French cars.

I also have a Vauxhall Ampera on loan from Thursday until next Monday. I blagged a go of that to. :)

I just like driving different stuff rather than looking at a reviewer's personal opinion.

• Like 1