Black grille surround

Hi,

Finally decided to colour code the grille on the vrs. I have a spare chrome surround coming and i have ordered a can of etch primer and clear coat. I was just gonna get the black magic from halfords. Before i do, i just wondered how good of a match this stuff is (for the black magic) if anyone has ever used it for anything.

I know it doesn't have to be perfect as its only a small area but i don't want it looking a totally different colour.

Or is there anywhere online to order a can that isn't daylight robbery.

Thanks

You can order black magic paint from your dealers parts department it's £12.00 for a can of spray paint and a can of lacquer. They are quite small cans but colour match would be better than halfords. Part number in link below

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?p_no=HFB381034

Thanks for the info, at least i know that both suppliers paint will be a good match. Hopefully do this over the weekend if my chrome trim shows up in time. Time also to replace the badge as mine in looking worse for wear.

I've done mine on my own with 3D carbon tape, it only takes around 1h with fitting and cost less then £10 . Also unlikely to paint it doesn't get as easily stone chip damaged .

Edited by VRSka

What with buying a replacement grille and then the primer, paint, lacquer and in my case a new front badge. This isn't a cheap mod! Perhaps when the old one is off i can paint that too then stick it on the bay to regain some cash.

Also painting it properly takes an age. i rubbed the chrome down last night, two coats of etch primer then i have just left it to dry over 24 hours. next will be a quick rub over the primer to prevent the orange peel finish, then black then drying time then lacquer. With the amount spare time i have this is going to take a couple of weeks around working etc.

Sorry dude, its an 07 so pre facelift. My mate just ordered the honeycomb badgeless grille for his FL though, looks well ok in the pics. Will be interesting to see what its like on the car in real life . And for the money its a lot less hassle than doing your own.

Halfords Black Magic is a perfect match, I recently sprayed Wardy's wing mirror, this did involve wet sanding and polishing to achieve a factory finish but the result was as good as original. The only thing I will say, the nozzle on the Halfords cans are carp, if you go to somewhere like Invicta Paints, the will mix the paint up but the spray nozzle on the commercial tins is excellent, a much better spray pattern, coverage and no drips.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just part ex'd my fabia vrs for a octavia vrs this is something i'd like to do to mine, would i beable to buy one from skoda or as a mail order . i think the black grill looks much better.