running light upgrade for black & white's citygo

sharkrider

replaced the standard running light bulbs with these.....

img0741um.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

before, yellow looking running lights....

img0744ul.jpg

after white "LED" look running lights...

img0746h.jpg

note: these are replacement bulbs, not actually LED's so no errors occur, they are "blue/white" which gives the LED look, instead of the soft yellow of the standard bulbs.

sorry for the crap pics from my phone, couldn't get square on to the car where its parked for equal sight of the bulbs... they are both equally bright, just the daft angle that makes them look odd :)

EDIT: next is a headlight bulb upgrade, as the standards are very weak...

just checked the sight and they have some new ones! proper LED's :( http://www.hids-dire...-t10-194-bulbs/

Don't be disappointed as they are different fitting, and only 5watt, whereas Citigo requires 5w/21w like the bulbs you have, as the bulbs run brighter during daylight running (hence the 20w rating) and reduce when the headlights are on.

I fitted Phillips X-Treme Vision +100% discussed in this thread, which you might find helpful http://www.briskoda....bulbs/??I'm going to order a set of the Mtec's you have installed. I think they should look good during the day, and probably blend better with the Phillips heads at night. Won't break the bank to try them anyway.

• Like 1

Don't be disappointed as they are different fitting, and only 5watt, whereas Citigo requires 5w/21w like the bulbs you have, as the bulbs run brighter during daylight running (hence the 20w rating) and reduce when the headlights are on.

I fitted Phillips X-Treme Vision +100% discussed in this thread, which you might find helpful http://www.briskoda....bulbs/??I'm going to order a set of the Mtec's you have installed. I think they should look good during the day, and probably blend better with the Phillips heads at night. Won't break the bank to try them anyway.

Thanks Liam, it was your original thread that i got the running light bulbs from :) I'll look at the headlights next :)

I ordered the Mtec running lights and will report back on how they look with the Philips Extreme Vision +100. Bear in mind when choosing headlights that the whiter the light (higher the Kelvin rating) the less visible light is produced. They are chosen for looks, but are not as effective in lighting the road as a bulb of the same rating, but lower Kelvin. The Philips ones are 2500 Kelvin.

• Like 1

The OE bulbs for the DLRs have two filaments. 21w and 5w

The 21w are for the DLRs, the 5w are for the sidelights.

When headlights are switched on, I am presuming that as the bulbs shark bought are single filament 21w and there is no 5w filament for sidelights they won't be lit with the headlights.

• Like 2

The OE bulbs for the DLRs have two filaments. 21w and 5w

The 21w are for the DLRs, the 5w are for the sidelights.

When headlights are switched on, I am presuming that as the bulbs shark bought are single filament 21w and there is no 5w filament for sidelights they won't be lit with the headlights.

bang on

Ah I never spotted that there was only one filament. When I looked at the box I saw what I expected to see rather than what was actually on it, taking the voltage figure to be the second filament. I can't seem to locate a similar bulb to the one ordered which has the two filaments. Does such exist?

I can't find one, been looking for a while , don't think they exist yet!

Thanks. When I installed the Philips Extreme Vision +100's the side lights looked a bit yellow by comparison, but at just 5w output were swamped by the heads, so it wasn't an issue really. I just thought that a whiter light, as demonstrated in Sharkriders helpful pics probably would have nicely filled in the inner periphery of the cluster when the heads were on.

For the time being, until hopefully, a two element equivelant is introduced, perhaps the whiter more eye catching driving light is a good option. I'll post before and after pics when I get them.

I think it looks way better... being more visible too in normal conditions, when its dark the 5w sides are irrelevant.... so I dont see it as an issue... all it means, is there is the very rare instance, when you may park your car on a road at night, that ISN'T a street lit 30 zone, and therefore have to leave your sidelights on... you couldn't do this.... its not possible for ash to be in that situation, so its not an issue... thats is the only circumstance where you would need the citygo's sidelights.... otherwise your dipped headlights or running lights would be on :)

• Like 1

I think it looks way better... being more visible too in normal conditions, when its dark the 5w sides are irrelevant.... so I dont see it as an issue... all it means, is there is the very rare instance, when you may park your car on a road at night, that ISN'T a street lit 30 zone, and therefore have to leave your sidelights on... you couldn't do this.... its not possible for ash to be in that situation, so its not an issue... thats is the only circumstance where you would need the citygo's sidelights.... otherwise your dipped headlights or running lights would be on :)

That's the way I'm thinking too. Iv'e been driving for 51 years and I cannot ever recall having to park a car where side lights were required. Until something more suitable comes along at least the rears will be available.

I have fitted Osram Night Breaker Plus on my Elegance 75 and the wifes SE 60 much better than the standard head lights. As we both do motorway & country lanes driving a big differance in distance light cover. I am interested in the daylight improvements as well but as there are no light blubs made so far I will wait.

• Like 1

I have the NB + on the yeti and will definitely be fitting them to the Citigo.

They're a much brighter, have more defined beam pattern and extended throw too.

Worth every penny :)

• Like 2

Fitted the Mtec running lights today, same as Sharkrider.

1) First the heads with the original running lights.

2)Then the heads and new running lights fitted. Hence no side lights when heads on. The heads are Phlips Extreme Vision +100.

3)Lastly the new running lights in normal running mode.

post-95188-0-71993100-1353958100_thumb.jpg

post-95188-0-67344300-1353958142_thumb.jpg

post-95188-0-89501600-1353958161_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have done the same I have Phillips xtreme vision also Phillips xenon look ones name escapes me and have ordered the mtecs

How long did they take to arrive?

Were dispatched following day.