High milage CRs- how did you run yours in?

Chaps,

Been following a thread originally posted by Brooksuk on running in his CR vRS. I was wondering are there any CR high milers out there and if so what's your engine like now (Fuel and oil consumption, emmisions results, how's it run etc), how did you run it in and did you think it made any difference. Did you think you did a good job if so why and also if there's any brave ones out there do you wish you'd don it differently and if so how.

cheers

Ade

I have a CR 170 in a Yeti, it has covered 60k in 18 months and it has been absolutely hammered from day one, I even towed a 1500kilo caravan 150 miles across Wales within the first 1000 miles.

It is now free revving, uses no oil at all and is returning mid 40's mpg, it is on standard long life servicing and the bonnet gets opened very rarely between servicing.

So I would probably worry a bit less and enjoy the VRS for what it was intended for, putting a huge smile on your face when you plant the fast pedal.

Mid 40's mpg isn't excellent. My old Vectra was returning high 40's and yet it was 6 years old with old technology engine. Doesn't necessarily support the "cane it from day 1 theory !"

• Like 1

Mid 40's mpg isn't excellent. My old Vectra was returning high 40's and yet it was 6 years old with old technology engine. Doesn't necessarily support the "cane it from day 1 theory !"

It's a yeti, it's not aerodynamic and probably 4x4.

Yet again another running in thread just to cause more arguments like the diesel v petrol and when should the Cambelt be changed.

Thrash it when warm and enjoy it.

Mpg 50 average, 500ml of oil in 34k, and 0-60 in 6.9

• Like 2

It is a Yeti, not too aero dynamic and is driven hard so drinks diesel, if I go steady, sitting behind trucks or staying below 60 mph I get the mpg well up into the 50's it just depends how it is driven, it's usually keeping up with the flow of traffic on the motorway and with a boot full of gear.

I am not too bothered about mpg as it is a company car so gets filled on the allstar card.

• Like 1

Mines not high miles in fact its done 500 miles but I'm running mine in with care, change gear at 2000rpm never go passed 3000rpm when over taking.

Fingers crossed it will be ok further on in life

Don't do it, give it some beans.

• Like 2

It is a Yeti, not too aero dynamic and is driven hard so drinks diesel, if I go steady, sitting behind trucks or staying below 60 mph I get the mpg well up into the 50's it just depends how it is driven, it's usually keeping up with the flow of traffic on the motorway and with a boot full of gear.

I am not too bothered about mpg as it is a company car so gets filled on the allstar card.

Can you let us know when your at the pumps next- I'll be able to hide behind you and tailgate your pump. No one will notice ;)

Great for nectar points, I got an iPod off them last year! On a serious note, the diesel engines seem to respond better to being worked, I had an Audi A4 B8 CR before the yeti and that did 135k in three years, again it was well used from day one with no let up until it went back with 135k on it, I would have been happy to follow it to auction and buy it back.

Yeti should be the same I guess, well serviced and well used.

I wouldn't get too concerned about running a car in, I cant honestly see how its going to make a difference over time. All I would suggest is perhaps take the 1st 500miles easy just to get things goig, then drive how you please once the engine is at temp.

Mr CR Vrs is 6 months old and has just gone past 12.5K.

I gradually built up the revs over the first thousand miles to let everything bed in and then used it normally. Daily commute is either 90 or 125 depending on dads taxi duties. I regularly give it hard driving and cruise at 70-80 depending on traffic. On a trip to northern Holland it cruised at 130KPH hour after hour.

Serviced at 10k, no extra oil use, no issues whatsoever and the engine is loosening up nicely.

Average MPG now at 51

I would have to disagree with ChrisRs.

The Met police use TFSI Octavia Vrs and they get used (thrashed) from day 1. They ALL use loads of oil.

My TFSI that I had for a year was run in the same way as my present diesel and used no oil. I wonder why????

Yes I used it and drove it properly and hard once run in.

Mr CR Vrs is 6 months old and has just gone past 12.5K.

I gradually built up the revs over the first thousand miles to let everything bed in and then used it normally. Daily commute is either 90 or 125 depending on dads taxi duties. I regularly give it hard driving and cruise at 70-80 depending on traffic. On a trip to northern Holland it cruised at 130KPH hour after hour.

Serviced at 10k, no extra oil use, no issues whatsoever and the engine is loosening up nicely.

Average MPG now at 51

Why when you are doing 24k a year? They are set as variable from the factory.

JRW

Reason-

3 free services. Plus I believe in regular oil changes.

A good few years ago I was going to by a Subaru Legacy 3.0 Spec B estate and they had recently changed their service regime from 6k and 12k oil changes and servicing and had seen a significant increase in engine issues.

The reason for change was to try and compete with Audi/BMW running costs.

JRW

Reason-

3 free services. Plus I believe in regular oil changes.

A good few years ago I was going to by a Subaru Legacy 3.0 Spec B estate and they had recently changed their service regime from 6k and 12k oil changes and servicing and had seen a significant increase in engine issues.

The reason for change was to try and compete with Audi/BMW running costs.

Ah ok, 3 free services makes sense.

VAG have been doing Variable servicing for around 10 years now (I had it on my 03 Polo) and think if there was any issues they would have come to light by now.

I would have to disagree with ChrisRs.

The Met police use TFSI Octavia Vrs and they get used (thrashed) from day 1. They ALL use loads of oil.

My TFSI that I had for a year was run in the same way as my present diesel and used no oil. I wonder why????

Yes I used it and drove it properly and hard once run in.

OK...However this a thread about the CR Diesel....not the TFSI

Mine uses no all at all

I have driven it properly from day one