Central Locking Fault - Locks and Windows

foulkesey

Hi guys,

Hope you can help. I came back to my car to find it unlocking itself over and over. I locked the car, it stopped waited for a bit then went back in. I then returned to find the car unlocked and the front electric windows down. I drove home with the car still unlocking itself repeatidly and the windows going up and down like magic.

When i got home i pulled the fuse for the central locking and the central locking on the boot. Then manually locked the door internally, and the drivers door lock. I pulled the boot fuse because i found there was no way to lock the boot manually. This has stopped the problem.

It has been raining heavily and i have driven through some puddles.

I know i have a leak on the rear left door as is wet on the floor, i do not think it is the carrier as i have recently resealed, but i cannot remember if i sealled the rivets or sealed enough, as mentioned on another forum. I think it is the rubber door seals. Anyway i was wondering if anyone could help to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Joe

IIRC, you can unlock the boot and doors using the key in the boot lock. You may need a new boot lock switch or the earth to the switch may be bad. Does the boot lock return to the vertical position?

What I think is happening is the equivalent of you holding the key in the unlock position.

Yeah its like holding the key. The boot is all fine, but it has no key barrel, only central locking. But to lock it you need central locking to send lock signal of which i took the fuse out, and to access the fuse you need the door open, and with the door open the central locking doesnt lock so i took the boot fuse out.

All the doors lock and open fine.

I have just found a piece suggesting it might be the barrel in the drivers doors sticking in the unlock position but i havent used it in a while.

I dont think its the key fob because i dont think it works while its in the ignition, but il have to check on that in the morning.

Should i put the central locking fuse back in and leave the boot out to eliminate that?

I will try any suggestions in the morning.

Thanks for your help.

This is a common VW problem as well.The actuator box in a VW is usually under the drivers seat and if it gets wet or damp then the locking and widows can do strange things.Perhaps this could be a similar problem ?Not sure where the magic box is on the Fabia though but maybe worth a follow up.

happned to me, i thought i'd left the window down over night! it's done it once and that was literally 4-5 months ago and not had a problem since? very strange then again my back doors used to leak and i repaired the seals. once again dont know if this is the cause with the "magic box" but like said does anyone know where it is on a fab. ?

Hi guys, right i havent had the problem since, i am assuming it was because i was driving through deep puddles that day.

I also found my door carrier that i had previously sealed because of a lock problem was leaking, silicone wasnt up to the job.

So i sealed it all up again including every plug hole and bolts with lead and gutter sealent.

I thought the control box for the central locking may have been under the passenger seat so may have got wet from the carrier leak. But nothing concrete im afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Drivers

I have been having a very similar problem with my SKODA ELEGANCE over the past year or so. Occasionally, when I go out to the car in the moring or afternoon to find all of the windows half open. Didn't think of it specifically being the 'magic box' being affected by water, but rather that there was an intermitent earth connection in the electrical circuit for the windows.

Reflecting on the occasions where water might be the culprit, I can recall driving through deep puddles and the car being left outside under lashing rain and sleet. Leaking doorseals anywhere around the driver's door could let water into the seat well. On Friday, 7th Dec. after constant rain, sleet ,snow and slush ( nice 'ere i'nnit!?) I came out on the following morning to find all windows, once more, at 'half mast', the floor wells awash and, in particular, water spashed over the door mounted window switches.

All in all, it does point to ingress of water to the electrics, and the prime suspect being moisture in the 'magic box'. (water on the switches could only have got there after the windows were opened.

Has anyone had their car into the SKODA agent, or other repairer, for a diagnostic investigation? Tomorrow, I will be down to my local SKODA dealer in search of the answer to the problem: I will pass on anything useful from this.

Take care and drive safely this Winter

Best wishes

Lojong

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Skodamen and Skodaga'ls

As intimated in my previous post re. central control for windows operating independendently (coming down in the middle of the night during a local

monsoon), I have presented the problem to my Skoda agent. His response was that he had no knowledge of this problem, and it had not been passed over his desk.

However, his response was very rapid and without much deliberation, adding that I should, 'bring it in, and we'll have alook at it'. Not wishing to dig into my pocket at that stage, I decided to bide my time and take a more 'Hercule Poroit' approach to the situation.

Since that time we have had some rain and cold and wind over a few days. However, the windows have stayed up so the case remains open.

With Regards

Lojong

• 4 years later...

I've got a problem with my 58 plate 1.4 tdi Skoda fabia. The car tries to lock itself when driving. I have pulled the fuse and it stops when the fuse is out. I have another problem where my Windows randomly drop, this happens any time of day and is very frustrating. Any one know what the problem  is and how to sort it?

• Like 1

OK, have you checked the wires inside the door bellows? I had a broken one in mine causing intermittent central locking problems.

ryy5u.png