Water Ingress.....Found the source guys and its not rear doors..

Glycerine (from the chemists) applied to rubber parts helps keep them supple in colder weather. Can use vaseline or even 3-in-1 oil but they stand a chance of perishing the rubber.

Then the solution is red rubber grease. Actually intended for rubber !

So it continues!

I today fitted my new rubber, in the picture below i have placed the rubber upside down to see if it made any differenec so i know its on the wrong way... as you can see i am still getting water the wrong side of the seal and all around the latch area

20121219_173817_zps55cb6a2b.jpg

So i decided to water test it with a hose and the below picture is where i have found water to be getting in

20121219_155533_zps6be4b4b5.jpg

As you can see the black cable connector is wet and you can clearly see the wet patch where water is running in, im not sure what those two nuts hold or where that cable goes but thats where water it coming from, i think its somwhere near the number plate.

Having looked at the boot lining i have taken off its also wet in the same area, that water is runing down the back of the boot card and missing the boot seal all together, it lands nicely in the latch area and steams up my rear window

Edited by Jon_woo

Had the same issue in my hatchback fabia. My body shop found two leaks in the actual tailgate, plus water was getting in thriugh the adjustable rubber feet, so had to silicon seal the adjuster in. Had already tried the seal, but it was not the cause of my leaks. Had to remove the inner trim and water the car with a hose pipe while the someone sat inside to find the leaks. Water was getting into the actual tailgate trim.

I have also come up with a cunning plan for stopping the water getting to the door carrier seals......I have put a bead of hot glue along the last bend above the seal on the inside of the door carrier, so water hits the bead and drops to the bottom of the door, rather than tracking along the surface of the carrier and round the bend to the seal. I have also sealed the carriers with Plumbers Gold, to make 100% sure. So far so good!

Edited by Fabby
  • Like 1

Had the same issue in my hatchback fabia. My body shop found two leaks in the actual tailgate, plus water was getting in thriugh the adjustable rubber feet, so had to silicon seal the adjuster in. Had already tried the seal, but it was not the cause of my leaks. Had to remove the inner trim and water the car with a hose pipe while the someone sat inside to find the leaks. Water was getting into the actual tailgate trim.

I have also come up with a cunning plan for stopping the water getting to the door carrier seals......I have put a bead of hot glue along the last bend above the seal on the inside of the door carrier, so water hits the bead and drops to the bottom of the door, rather than tracking along the surface of the carrier and round the bend to the seal. I have also sealed the carriers with Plumbers Gold, to make 100% sure. So far so good!

My next step will be to water test the car with me in it, did the body shop say where the water was actually getting in? did they fix it?

New boot seal did nothing.

I have today water tested my car with the entire boot interior stripped out. I have water pouring in through the rear wiper assembly, i have water pouring in the vents in the wheel well that lead from the rear bumper and i have floods of water at the back of both my brake lights.

Been told by SKODA all these parts have seals that could have gone, they said they will look at all the leaks and tell me whats wrong with if for £45, im then hoping that a few seals will not be expensive and i will get them to sort it

Keep us updated fella, I love my Fabia but this steaming window saga is doing my head in, takes forever to clear before it's safe to drive.

I'm still waiting on those moisture bags to come.

So ******* annoying - the moisture that is!

Seriously guys water test your boot, all your panels just pull off (held on by metal clips), lay the rear seats down and remove the boot carpet and all the spare wheel etc. Peel back the boot lining on the sides.

Then get someone to hose the car whilst your sat in the car on the now folded down seats, i saw within seconds where mine was leaking from, i would say that if mine being an 07 plate is leaking from all the seals on the rear parts then its likely to be the same for older ones.

The entire boot panel and floor pan were covered in dry dirty water, SKODA tech said this is where the seal around the back bumper has failed and letting it up into the brake lights and boot.

Im guessing i will be getting a new rubber gromit for the rear wiper and new seals for the floor pan vents and brake lights and whatever seals the back bumper area

Edited by Jon_woo

I'd be tempted to attack any leaking areas with some silicone.

My rear door sealant has failed :( going to have to strip all that off and take the carrier off again in order to re-do it. Something I will attack when the weather is a bit warmer though! Just going to put a plastic bag there for now in order to channel the water out.

My moisture bags have arrived...

97416286-672F-474A-B4EC-03F184AC423B-14773-00000C566A1A811B.jpg

Put one on the dashboard and one under the driver side rear seat, see how they fair although its raining. It tends to be worse when it's in freezing temperatures.

I bought a load of small dehumidifier packs from aldi afew years ago. Hopefully, my mantra of "that'll come in handy one day" will pay off , as i'm gonna stick a load of 'em in the car and see how the window-misting-up saga goes. Moisture bags and contents are all still fine, 'tho the trial one that's been in a few days is virtually rock-hard!!

keep you all posted.