Fabia VRS Engine replacement required - 36K

rchhiba

On Monday night I was driving my car home from work and came off the M1 and stopped at the lights. I noticed that the car wasn’t idling correctly and the exhaust control light started flashing and then went out. I carried on driving without any issues and when I got home the light started flashing again and this time stayed on.

On Tuesday morning I called my local Skoda Dealership and was asked to bring the car in to get checked. After being assessed I was told that there was a fuel injector fault and that they would order the required part and they gave the car back to me and I was asked to bring it in yesterday morning.

I took the car in yesterday morning and around 90 minutes after dropping it off I got a call to say that the fault was a bit more serious than first thought and they had to take the head off and they would need the car overnight. I have just had a call to say that they have found scoring on the engine block and they will need to replace the engine – which has been authorised by Skoda.

Haven’t got any details on the cause or how long the engine replacement will take but will need to pop in tomorrow to get a hire car which Skoda are organising currently so will hopefully have more details then.

That's a shame, feel for you, does this mean eventually most if not all fabia vrs will no doubt be getting new engines? What a palaver

I think you're going a bit far with "most if not all."

This doesn't sound related to the oil consumption issue - engines fail in all makes of car - happened to my mate in his Porsche with less than 20,000 miles on it.

Just been informed that mine is being "opened" up...

Waiting for final diagnosis

Sounds like an absolute nightmare. I don't know how you have put up with it for so long. If mine was requiring multiple trips to the dealer and/or was heading for "open engine surgery" of any type I'd have cut my losses on it and chopped the blighter in for something else long ago! :-)

...does this mean eventually most if not all fabia vrs will no doubt be getting new engines? What a palaver

Eh??? Seb strikes back... The above must be a new record on how you can defy all statistical laws and common sense in one sentence....

A+Job+Well+Done+Pat.jpg

(Rumour has it that he has even convinced problem-free owners that their car is about to explode...)

• Like 1

The 1.4tsi engine really does sound like a nightmare, I do follow this thread because eventually i'd like to own a mkII vRS but I think I've been scared off them altogether after reading all the engine troubles and oil consumption threads.

Seb - don't be a pleb.

Most, if not a high percentage of vRS will be fine, and use little oil. The pistons scoring block can be down to faulty injector spray - early ones suffered this - ie 2010 model.

All new cars have faults, and don't forget this engine is shared amongst the 4 brands/ SeatCupra is plagued with faults on early cars.

Apparently the new engine out now fixes the oil consumption fault.

• Like 1

The 1.4tsi engine really does sound like a nightmare, I do follow this thread because eventually i'd like to own a mkII vRS but I think I've been scared off them altogether after reading all the engine troubles and oil consumption threads.

dont be put off mate, I have covered 41,000 miles in mine, and its not put a foot wrong... uses no oil :) there are far more good ones than bad ones ;)

• Like 2

I'll be extending the warranty and keeping mine (unless there's a change in personal circumstances) when it's three years old at the end of September next year. For the money I can't think of another car I'd swap it for (new Fiesta does look tempting though).

• Like 1

I'll be extending the warranty and keeping mine (unless there's a change in personal circumstances) when it's three years old at the end of September next year. For the money I can't think of another car I'd swap it for (new Fiesta does look tempting though).

mines three years old then too! and I was thinking exactly the same... been the best car I've had so far, i may buy a warrenty and keep it :) I think the fiesta will be too expesive, and i wouldn't have it without a twin clutch gearbox... the clio ticks the boxes, BUT will be circa £19k If I remember the magazine reports! :o too rich for me... I'll check out the UP! GT , and the new fabia, and new rapid vRS, but with the standard rapid prices, dread to think what the vRS will be ....

I forsee, a keeping of the car! lol.... (just need to make sure I get a warrenty with wear and tear cover on DSG boxes!)

Seb - don't be a pleb.

Most, if not a high percentage of vRS will be fine, and use little oil. The pistons scoring block can be down to faulty injector spray - early ones suffered this - ie 2010 model.

All new cars have faults, and don't forget this engine is shared amongst the 4 brands/ SeatCupra is plagued with faults on early cars.

Apparently the new engine out now fixes the oil consumption fault.

Sorry :(

At the dealers now to pick up the hire car. Issue was caused by piston ring cracking and therefore leading to the scoring on cylinder number 2. New engine has arrived although they are waiting for other parts. Repair should hopefully start on Monday.

Had my engine replaced the other week, on a nearly three year old Greenline diesel!

Under warranty, it will be a brand new item. Mine had turbo issues, that got replaced (£1400-ish, retail), The very next day, I had issues with oil light and loss of power. Skoda replaced the complete engine unit. This was only a few months after having the head replaced, again, under warranty!

I am gonna place a post about that anyway so, if interested, look out for it!

Sounds like bore wash issue leading to rings rubbing directly against bore, overheating, breaking and fubaring the bore.

Make sure they checked the rest of the engine as rings are made of hard material and travelling through valve train or turbo or oil pump might have damaged it as well. Don't get fobbed off with "I am a mMaster Tecnician with million years of experience so trust me, I know what I'm doing" type of lines. Ask questions, in writing and get responses in writing. Just bring a letter to them and e-mail it as well. Doesn't cost youi anything and then later on down the line you will have it to back up any cliams you'd wish to make.

Sounds like bore wash issue leading to rings rubbing directly against bore, overheating, breaking and fubaring the bore.

Make sure they checked the rest of the engine as rings are made of hard material and travelling through valve train or turbo or oil pump might have damaged it as well. Don't get fobbed off with "I am a mMaster Tecnician with million years of experience so trust me, I know what I'm doing" type of lines. Ask questions, in writing and get responses in writing. Just bring a letter to them and e-mail it as well. Doesn't cost youi anything and then later on down the line you will have it to back up any cliams you'd wish to make.

Cheers, thanks for the help. I will make sure I get it in writing

dont be put off mate, I have covered 41,000 miles in mine, and its not put a foot wrong... uses no oil :) there are far more good ones than bad ones ;)

Yeah, if I'm being honest it wouldn't really put me off altogether, it's just slightly concerning reading about X amount litres of oil used in 1k miles etc plus near enough new cars having engines replaced. but like you say mate theres more 'good' ones than bad. do you own the highest mileage MKII vRS then? :)