Fitting new Anti Roll Bar Bushes

KIDD

How do folks,

I fitted new discs and pads to the Fabia yesterday and did the drop links whilst I was at it. These were easy jobs... whilst I was under the arch I looked at the anti roll bar bushes and undid the clamps that hold them on.

What I couldn't figure out was how I would change the bush? There is a lip on the anti roll bar itself to stop the bush sliding, this lip is fabricated onto the ARB and not the plastic type.

Do you need to bend the clamp open to get the bush out and then somehow stretch the bush over the lip? I read on here somewhere that you just slide them on but with the lip there, there is no chance of just sliding them on...

Ta

How do folks,

I fitted new discs and pads to the Fabia yesterday and did the drop links whilst I was at it. These were easy jobs... whilst I was under the arch I looked at the anti roll bar bushes and undid the clamps that hold them on.

What I couldn't figure out was how I would change the bush? There is a lip on the anti roll bar itself to stop the bush sliding, this lip is fabricated onto the ARB and not the plastic type.

Do you need to bend the clamp open to get the bush out and then somehow stretch the bush over the lip? I read on here somewhere that you just slide them on but with the lip there, there is no chance of just sliding them on...

Ta

Pop the retaining clamp off of the bush and then on the straight edge of the bush there is a split which you open up and prise the old bush off.

Simples chk!

• Like 2

I see sort of cut through half way? I guess the clamp makes the gap tight again.

You don't need to cut them, they already have a split in them, you just open it up and peel the bush off. When it comes to fit the new one, you open it up, position it on the ARB and then put the clamp back on, a little washing up liquid will help lubricate and assist in the refit of the clamp plus, it doesn't rot the bush like an oil based product would.

Edited by Coffin Dodger

• 3 months later...

Hopefully someone is still active on this thread, didn't want to create a new one.

I've had the Anti-roll bar drop links and console bushes replaced on my Fabia 1.9 TDi Y-Reg Estate. The Anti-roll bar bushed hadn't been delivered so couldn't get the local independent to fit them, so rather than pay them another hour I was going to try and fit them myself.

I bought a pair of Topran 19mm antiroll bar bushes http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180630153803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Can these be replaced fairly easily on a ramp, without removing suspension etc as if changing the whole anti-roll bar? or do you need the wheels to hang loose from axle stands? Can you just unbolt the clamps, replace the bushes and bolt it back up?

Thanks for the ebay link m8, mine need doing, was going to get powerflex but for less than a fiver the ebay ones will do if its a diy job with jack and ramp. Going to do droplinks while im at it.

It does seem that the knocking is casued by the perishing of the bushes rather than the roll bar or drop links, so replacing just the bushes may be all some of us require.

I was actually hoping someone might tell me if it's as simple as putting the car on the ramp, undoing the saddle clip around the old bush and fit a new one. I've not done it yet, but as I'm not replacing the whole anti-roll bar and the drop links are done I'm hoping I don't have to undo anything except a few bolts. I don't really fancy dropping the whole suspension.

If these plastic stops on the roll bar are damaged/loose I wonder if they could be replaced with a pipeclamp or something instead of replacing a whole bar or welding on metal stops.

Before buying for the Ebay link you may want to ensure they're the right ones for your model, I don't know until I try at the weekend.

i changed mine a couple of months back and i'm no mechanic, so you shouldn't have any problem, i bought the anti roll bar bushes from skoda, 1st one was a pain :wall: but the other one took a little bit less time after a couple of "get on there" and "how can i put that there". then wipe the forehead :sweat: a couple of times. then after i had changed them hell of a difference, no thumping sound going over the bumps.