Hot Air - how long does it take yours?

This is the first VRS ownership winter, and I've noticed it takes ages for hot air to come through the blower.

My commute is very short, some 5 miles. I go home at lunch time, with a bit of running round, so probably 25 miles and i do try and get things warm. When on a longer journey the blower air is hot, but soon drops if the revs go low

With the importance of keeping a diesel engine warm, what can i do?

I don't really mind being cold by driving but it's the age it takes to get any heat there to defrost the car that annoys me lol!

Wish the fabia came with a heated front screen like some Fords!

Diesel engines are very thermally efficent, the cold weather means they take a lot longer to warm up. My old diesel Superb would take 12 miles before the temp gauge hit 90, the cold air in the engine bay and the fact you are running the interior heater passing cold air over the coolant thats trying to warm up does not help either.

My 3 series has an electric coolant heater so you get warm air faster than it takes to scrape the side windows. Up to temp in about 3 miles (water temp, not oil).

Would it be possible to fit something like that into the Fabia? I assume they must have something for the northern climates on the continent (if not the for the vRS, for other VAG 1.9TDis at least. . .)?

My 3 series has an electric coolant heater so you get warm air faster than it takes to scrape the side windows. Up to temp in about 3 miles (water temp, not oil).

Would it be possible to fit something like that into the Fabia? I assume they must have something for the northern climates on the continent (if not the for the vRS, for other VAG 1.9TDis at least. . .)?

There are various after market engine heaters. I did a bit of research on this lately. They are very big in places like Canada where outside temps in winter can get down to below -30 degrees C.

You can get various mains powered pre heaters where you plug the car in and have a time switch turn on the heater 4 hours before you use it. These come as either a pad you stick on to the sump, or an element that fits in place of either the sump drain plug, or dip stick.

You could go down the more expensive route of installing a webasto diesel fired boiler. These small boilers can be installed in the engine bay, and plumbed into the engines coolant system. They can be fitted with a timer, and will quickly heat the engine coolant to operating temperature.

• Like 1

Mine's not that clever, just works when the engine is cold. :(

Wonder which would provide heat faster. I'm guessing coolant would heat the cabin faster, oil the engine (and in turn the coolant too?).

Edited by TriggerFish

I had a webasto heater on my 5 series it was quite a cool bit of kit. I could press the remote from my bedside and the heater would come on and warm up the car and defrost the windows whilst I got ready in the morning.

Stupidly over the top, they are the same things as used on narrow boats if I remember correctly!

(and it would definitely be faster than an electric heater as it burnt diesel)

Edited by Dunkuk

If you used either set up with a timer, then you'll have operating temp hot air as soon as you get into the car.

Although heating the oil may appear to not heat the coolant, because the pre heater is on for a number of hours and heat tends to rise, then the coolant will be warmed to an extent too. All the mains heaters need to be on for a few hours to get any heat into the engine....they are only 150 Watts or so, and you have to remember to plug it in.....but they are cheap....a Canadian company would sell me a 240v stick on pre heater for £45 including delivery from Canada.

Whereas the Webasto heaters are about 5000 watts, so will heat all the coolant in 10 minutes or so.....but they are expensive....probably not much change from £500 in parts to retrofit it...and they do burn your diesel....(albeit only 0.3L/hr).

I used to have a Webasto in my Rover 75. There was an option to have remote activation and timer activation but mine didn't have this....just fired up when the engine was started and the temp was below 5 degrees C.

I decided against the pre heater in the end. Bit of a faff plugging it in etc.

Forgot to say, On my 1.9 TDI I get tepid air (enough to demist windscreen) after about 2 minutes of driving......it's at 90c after about 5 miles of gentle driving on a frosty morning.

Edited by booke23

I'd say after about 5 minutes of sitting on the drive and 5 minutes of driving between 30mph - 40mph i'll get warm air, couldnt put a figure on the gauge saying 90c though.

Thats with the cooling system being flushed through recently, a brand new water pump, temp sensor and fresh coolant.

Mines about the same as above, 5 minutes while i scrape the windows and roughly 5 minutes of driving and the air will be hot enough melt the ice and keep the screen clear.

not as good as my focus(miss the heated front screen!) but not bad tbh.

Edited by chris69

There is a coolant flange you can fit that has 3 glow plugs in it.

Think it is a straight swap with the original plastic one and from a golf I think.

No Idea how it wires up.

Other option is the electric auxiliary heater. This involves removing the heater matrix and fitting in there. Also then needs a new wire from battery (it draws up to 1000w and 80A!!) and also some programming in to let the car control it.

The last option is an auxiliary coolant heater (either electric or diesel fired).

Phil

Takes it years around town at 30mph. Takes it a mile if it's straight onto 60mph roads.

Yeh noticed the same.

We can drive several miles at 30mph and it never reaches 90.

If we drive onto the dual carriageway about a mile from home it's up to temperature very quickly once we get up to 70mph.

Phil

I got a Canadian stick-on-the-sump 240V heater a few years ago. It does work, but there is no immediate rush of hot air. Needs 2 hours at least to have an effect, so OK in garage or nearby with timer. I rarely use it now.

I got a Canadian stick-on-the-sump 240V heater a few years ago. It does work, but there is no immediate rush of hot air. Needs 2 hours at least to have an effect, so OK in garage or nearby with timer. I rarely use it now.

It will help the engine warm up but then there will still be a delay in the coolant heating up.

The coolant pre-heaters are best for this.

Phil