Very warm water to defrost windscreen.

Hughp

Yep I use it too.

A small watering can used for house plants, filled with warm/hot water from the hot tap. If it's very icy and can get the door open I start car first, and put heaters on first.

Remember to use wipers once ice has gone from screen, as water may refreeze.

Edited by Jim H

I use a double garage!!!

Edit:- still just thinking about motorising the door, need to create a side/alterative access point.

Having heated seats is posh enough for me... a double garage would be pushing it a little far

I neither scrape or use warm water or de-icer.

I walk down the garden, open my garage door, unlock my furby and then depress my remote door button and drive out.

The seat belt is then clicked into place while the door closes behind me.

Sorry to brag but its ace!! :rofl: :rofl:

Pah, garages are for projects, not parking in! Thats a waste ;)

• Like 1

I use warm water or an ice scraper. When i used to work for a hire car company i used to boil the kettle and then pour on the windscreen straight away cos i was lazy and it wasn't my car. Never had a windscreen crack once (would never do it on my car though...and wouldn't recommend it either) :coffee:

I use cold water :D. As long as it brings the screen up above freezing it's fine. Some times need second jug if it's really cold.

This. cold tap water is still much warmer than ice! I go out and start the engine, put on the rear screen heater, then walk round with a kettle full of cold water. Use the wipers to clear the front screen of the water before the ice re-forms whilst I take the kettle back in, jump in the car, and off I go!

I use water, BUT when it gets super cold that just wont work....so,

heater blower INSIDE the car for 20 minutes - whole inside of car lovely & warm and all windscreen ice gone

Saves having to run the car with keys in too

I've been using hot water (from the hot tap only...not boiling!) for nearly 20 years and no cracked windscreen yet.

I like the thought of the heated front screens in Fords, until I sit in one and look through it when driving at night.....you can see the tiny diamond pattern of the element, and I find it a bit annoying.

• Like 1

I'm gonna get an in-car water heater (i.e. a car kettle)

Fresh cuppa made at same time as being able to defrost windows.

My dad had one of those in car kettles. They take a very long time to boil the water.....after all, connected to the 12v socket they can only draw 15 Amps maximum. That's 180 Watts...the kettle in your house is 3000 Watts....16 times the power!

Edited by booke23

My dad had one of those in car kettles. They take a very long time to boil the water.....after all, connected to the 12v socket they can only draw 15 Amps maximum. That's 180 Watts...the kettle in your house is 3000 Watts....16 times the power!

Ah, but if you only need warm water for the defrosting, might not take so long???