o2 P+GGG @

alkip

Bearing in mind the the o2 pay monthly at £10.50 goes up to £13.50 after 12 months and, that after February 2013 it goes up by 3.2% anyway and that I'm reading a little too much about drop outs from Giff Gaff I'm leaning towards the o2 P+GGG which is not going to be affected by the 3.2% and will stay at £10 but I'm wondering whether anyone has any experiences with any of the above and can shed some light or indeed, suggest another viable alternative.

My missus has just moved to Giff Gaff from O2 after a disappointing exchange with their retentions department. She was looking at SIM only and didn't want to be tied into a contract so the Giff Gaff route seemed to make sense. So far so good and no drop outs, etc. Time will tell though :D If you want to stick with the O2 network, Tesco Mobile may also be worth a look - they seem to have great prices and decent packages and my Mum swears by them.

Chris

Giffgaff is brilliant :) now and again there are server dropouts etc, but they are normally resolved pretty quickly.

You must remember that GiffGaff piggybacks O2 therefor there is next to no difference between the two except price!

If you are getting dropouts on o2 then you will get them with giffgaff since the same network is used. Giffgaff buy airtime from o2 to sell onto the end user. To try and avoid dropouts you'll need to change to another one of the main networks, eg. Vodafone or EE.

Cheers guys, I know giff gaff and tesco both piggyback o2 and I'm currently with t-mobile (EE) on an expensive contract that I have no need for and have no coverage at home whereas my wife, who's with o2, has great coverage.

Good to hear positive feedback about giff gaff and I'll have a look at Tesco.

I'm currently on a sim only 12 month contract with tesco for £12.50 with 500 mins, too many texts and 1gb usage. Not had a problem with them and the 12 months prior as I got my iphone contract through them.

In May though I think i'm going to swap to Giff Gaff as their usage is unlimited and i'm finding every now and then i'm reaching the 1gb. I use my phone more than my laptop now!

Dam. Im on the o2 £10.50 sim only tarrif. Didnt realise there was a price hike coming. May well have to change.

All i know is it currently works well for me but i'll follow this thread as cheap monthly mobile is what i need for all i use it for. My crappy phone doesnt even have a camera, how lame is that. All i need is texts and calls plus an alarm clock and as long as i can retain my number im a happy chap.

I'm with o2 for my home broadband and am delighted with it but Giff Gaff does look extremely tempting and they also allow calls to some 08 numbers within your minutes, I'm going to have to register on their forum and ask a few questions.

Jockdooshbag, there are quite a few on the o2 forum that are considering swapping to p+ggg I just hope that they don't decide to up the cost of that in the near future due to the forthcoming influx.

In May though I think i'm going to swap to Giff Gaff as their usage is unlimited and i'm finding every now and then i'm reaching the 1gb. I use my phone more than my laptop now!

Could be wrong, but as with most companies, their "unlimited" service is still limited, although it is still fairly generous. IIRC, they don't like you using more than 1Gb in an hour or 3Gb a day. They also prohibit tethering.

Chris

Could be wrong, but as with most companies, their "unlimited" service is still limited, although it is still fairly generous. IIRC, they don't like you using more than 1Gb in an hour or 3Gb a day. They also prohibit tethering.

Chris

Giffgaff has changed a little, the £10 tariff is now 1gb a month and the unlimited tariff is £12

I've been told that they allow tethering on the £10 package (1Gb) but not the £12 unlimited package, which sort of makes sense but DYOR

Giffgaff has changed a little, the £10 tariff is now 1gb a month and the unlimited tariff is £12

I've been told that they allow tethering on the £10 package (1Gb) but not the £12 unlimited package, which sort of makes sense but DYOR

Thanks for bringing me up to date - will have to ask which package my other half went for as unlimited for £12 would seem a no-brainer! :D

Chris

At the end of the day Telefonica own giffgaff so there should be no difference in service between them and O2/Telefonica.

Yup and it also means the O2 retentions team don't care if you move to Giff Gaff and don't try to keep you as a customer :rofl:

Chris

• Like 1

Ive recently cancelled my O2 sim only contract and went to giffgaff. Running both phones side by side just now until O2 contract ends. So far I have had no problems at all with giffgaff. Strangely I get a better signal on my HTC phone running giffgaff as compared to my iPhone with the O2 sim. Its worth remembering that giffgaff is PAYG. Once you register and get a sim. You activate it an top up your account. Minimum top up at activation is £10. You can use the credit on your account to fund your calls and text's etc or you can buy "goodybags" which last for thirty days. These goodybags range from £10 upwards.

Its also worth remembering that if you get someone who is a current giffgaff user to send you a sim card, you get £5 credited to your account and they get 500 points payback. I would be more than happy to do this for you although any giffgaff user can do this.

I am with Tesco (O2) for the last 3 years, never had any problems. Just changed again with them to new monthly SIM only for £15.00 a month you get 1000 minutes, 5000 text and 2GB data or you could go for 600 min, 5000 text and 1GB for £10.00 quid on SIM only.

Tesco, GiffGaff and O2 are pretty much the same, though different customer service teams and pricing. I depends what you want really, yes, tesco and GiffGaff are a tad cheaper, but when it comes to network support, you may find yourself a bit short changed, as at end of the day, O2 are the main network, so they have the best support teams.

With regards to this price hike, the 3.2% RPI increase is hardly a hike to be honest, it'll take the 10.50 contract up to 10.84 approx, hardly extortionate! All the other networks are following suit too, Vodafone did it a few months a go and it was an extra 95p on my £41.00 a month contract.

So keep that in mind guys, just because it may say O2 on the service bar for GG and Tesco, the support can be an entirely different experience! You'd also lose out on priority moments too which is a pretty nice app apparently, various discounts etc.