Is the Mk1 vRS still the 'king'?

Mr Ree

Where's all the mk2 vRS owners then?

I thought us mk1 owners would have been bombarded with "mk2 is best" posts tbh.

Not really. Loved my Mk1 for the 3 years I had it but found it's limits and it ate tyres and suspension bushes for fun so was time go to. Got a Mk2 vRS now and it's technically better than the Mk1 in every way apart from fuel economy. Is it more fun? Yes for me purely because it does handle. Obviously not a touring car but good enough. Will I keep it longer than 3 years? Probably not as I'm always looking for something better. I'm used to the speed now even if my brother isn't. :giggle: I do like DSG and know it's faster than I could ever change up or down but will probably go manual next. Only because when I use my parents car even though it's a lot slower there's something fun about swapping cogs and heel-toeing yourself and feels good when you get it right. Plus with the auto mode so good I find myself not wanting to use paddles unless I'm driving hard. It's a laziness I don't want to get into

Bit off topic here but how is that se on a 09 plate. A thought they only made these in 07??

IIRC the car was sat in a skoda dealers forecourt and was never initially registered in 2007.

IIRC the car was sat in a skoda dealers forecourt and was never initially registered in 2007.

Exactly, it was a display model which (apparently) got parked up and forgotten about.

There is at least an 08 and a 58 out there, but I've never seen another 09 mkI, so I believe it to be the last registered mkI in the UK.

Exactly, it was a display model which (apparently) got parked up and forgotten about.

There is at least an 08 and a 58 out there, but I've never seen another 09 mkI, so I believe it to be the last registered mkI in the UK.

Do you still have it?

I have owned a mark I from new to 80k, and now have a mark II from new to 44k (so far, amy be a keeper)I loved the mark I , and can totallu understand the affection shown by the owners on here!I still think the mark I looks better than the mark II! lol.....The mark II is an improvement in every way...its faster....

topspeedrun.jpg

granted jasons 270bhp mark I (mongrel not vRS) beats me in the end, but HELL its hard to beat off the line ;)

it can still do over 50 mpg, and costs the same to tax ;)img0532to.jpg

mine uses NO OIL AT ALL! and most of them don't, but forums attract people with problems, and some of these engine do have oil issues, but my mark I used "some" oil, and my mark II uses none...it handels well... less understeery...

.160616774fb66c56752d87a.jpg

granted my tyres were better than jasons, and he was "showing me round" not trying to race ;) don't take this as a comparison ;) (although the airfield was flat out)

is better equiped, feels less dated....and the gearbox... wow.... I totally understand why journo's slag it off, and why people "try it" and don't like it... but it takes time to learn.... (sam drove mine for several hundred miles, but mostly open road, no time to perfect paddles) it takes a few thousand miles to really appreciate this box, to really get to grip with the paddles down your favorite road... I will NEVER go back to a manual now!*runs! lol.....

• Like 2

I don't keep onto things long cars phones what ever else but since I bought the furb I do not want to sell love it and I would struggle to replace it...... Unless I had the option to walk to work then I'd buy something daft lol

Do you still have it?

No, after spending far too much money on it (IIRC it stood me in around £22k incl. £8k for the car) I bought something else for going quickly, which left the Fabia looking a little sad and not getting used. :(

I sold it to another Briskoda user who does not post as much as I do.

He probably has more of a life. :D (or spends more time driving it!)

Even though the "other" quick car is a flappy paddle job I still personally prefer a manual though.

People need to seperate fun and speed. They are not always the same.

Any idiot can go and buy a really quick car that does all the work for you, making them quick.

But you need to enjoy driving it. For me, the more work I have to do (up to a point) makes the experience more rewarding.

That's why with 10k miles under my belt in a DSG the mkII Fab lasted 4 days.

It's also the reason after 2 GT-Rs my 400bhp Citigo 4x4 project is going to manual, even though that will make it a bit slower.

You could put a babboon in a GT-R and he'd still overtake everyone on track while not using 80% of the car's abilities, but he'd not be having much fun (as he's not getting the car anywhere near it's limit) unless he likes boasting who he beat.

Fun needs to take priority over speed. IMO.

edit: sorry, went a bit off topic...

Anyway I found the mkII to be missing out on the fun factor because it's too quiet/refined/advanced/smooth/capable.

• Like 1

Rich - slightly off topic - but what happened to the RallyCross Fabia?

It's parked up at Jabbasport waiting for a new owner...

I got the parts I need for the Citigo off the smashed TT, so it ended up spare. :( (more money down the tubes!)

I think the VW Polo Gti is a better looking car than the MK2 Fabia by a long way, its swapped back again with this generation. Although it is probably a bit boring and over refined.

I really like the Citigo and the Up! as well, they look very cool and a lot of fun. Fun is important I think, I don't see the point of cars all trying to be like a Mercedes C Class "it feels like a bigger car" etc.

The Up! GT is out, it should be quite torquey with the turbo. Could be a good move on from the MK1 Fabia VRS. I know a lot of people went down to the Fabia from bigger cars so it would make sense to downsize once again, rather that going up again. Superminis are very cool at the moment.

Pretty pictures, I like the seats remind me of a MK2 Golf GTi

http://www.upownersc..._topic2279.html

Edited by Dunkuk
  • Like 1

I have to echo Sharkriders comments, and after owning an Ibiza MK4 FR TDI (mapped/lowered etc etc) and a Fabia vRS MK1 (lowered etc) I love getting into the MK2 Fabia :)

Its faster (granted it has more power to start with) newer technology and a good sounding engine. I would have been tempted with a TDI lump and dsg if they offered it but with the DPF issues its not worth it for the mileage I do.

I got the estate as it has bags of room and does sterling mpg when needed - no this month though, got 270 miles from a tankful lol

• 7 months later...

mk1 always! all you have to do is remap that diesel engine and it goes from 130 bhp to 170-180 bhp! and thats quicker that the new 180 bhp vrs on a quatre mile for a fact ;) awell as being much more reliable and fuel efficient 

Oh yes. i CANNOT disagree on any of those points, but in all honesty, i don't think I'd be charging down to the stealer even if they'd managed to squeeze the 2.0 170 diesel lump in it tbqh.

That MIGHT, and, I stress, MIGHT, just temp me, main reason being I just prefer the way diesels perform. From the low down get up and go, to the economy when driven with that in mind.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

and about what part of my comment would that be?

Being faster down a 1/4 than a mk2 vrs

The mark 2 vrs can get into the 14's standard

A mapped vrs mk1 will be mid 15's mapped! Over 16s as standard