Door Sills & Clothes

survey

We replaced a Nissan X Trail for a Yeti a couple of years ago. The X Trial was an excellent car and we have not been disappointed with the Yeti. However we are getting rather annoyed that unlike the X Trail, the doors do not cover the door sills, and thus the sills get dirty and so on exiting the car one's trousers can get filthy. Anyone else noticed this?

Edited by survey

No, not really, and certainly a lot better than my last 2 Freelanders.

I guess we had just been spoilt by the clever wrap over door design of the XTrail. It is worse for my wife who is only just over 5' tall - sliding off the seat and to the ground inevitably leads to dirt on the legs of her clothes.

Can't you slide over on the seat a bit and then just put your foot down further away from the car?

It's not a problem I've noticed, but then I'm reasonably tall so I step out of the car without putting my leg very close to it.

It's unusual to see a 4x4 with doors that go all the way down to cover the sills, more chance of damaging them off road.

My wife is only about 5', she tends to stand on the sill and then step out of the car. I must agree the sills do get dirty and the mud flaps do next to nothing except for the 4" behind where they are fitted.

Try some larger heals Survey, they will act as leg extensions. :giggle:

Sorry! Note to self, read ALL the message then think about it for 10 mins before answering........... :giggle:

Fred

Before I forget; :think:

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL :cocktail:

• Like 1

Miniholly_zps60f8b273.jpg

Learning to live with it as penance for getting DSG :happy:

I'm well happy 31,000 miles and 2 years later in my diesel DSG.

I can live with a dirty sill, just put my leg out slightly further :lol:

Ps. As soon as my local Poles clean the sill (and the rest of the car) it gets dirty again.......:lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Miniholly_zps60f8b273.jpg

We did the X-Trail/Yeti exchange in September. Similar problem. Learning to live with it as penance for getting DSG :happy:

Yes, It wsa a good design point for the X-Trail, without seriously compromising any ground clearance etc. Shame it was not copied on the Yeti. However, the Yeti is proving a great car!

• 1 year later...

Another sills problem,my passenger is a bit short in the leg and shoe/boots tend to rub on the sills on exiting and scratch the paint below the door, is there any way to protect this area .

I find if I enter the vehicle bum first, my leg wipes the sill clean.

However, if I enter leg first, I can avoid that altogether.

Just depends how bad my arthritis is on a given day.  :giggle:

• Like 1

My wife is only 5 foot so will have to see if she encounters this problem.  She works up small country road so car is usually filthy.  The CRV it replaced had dirty sills though and I cannot say I noticed her breeks were particularly dirty.

I regularly clean a small bit of sill with my trouser leg. It makes up for all the mud, snow, apple cores etc that the children import.

I regularly clean a small bit of sill with my trouser leg. It makes up for all the mud, snow, apple cores etc that the children import.

Yup with my Yeti being a bit muddy most of the time I too notice the clear area that is well, clear of mud where I step in and out. Never noticed mud on my trousers though!

Yup with my Yeti being a bit muddy most of the time I too notice the clear area that is well, clear of mud where I step in and out. Never noticed mud on my trousers though!

It is usually discovered immediately upon entering a meeting room full of important clients. When instead of reaching for your outstretched hand, they're looking at one very grubby trouser leg.  

• 2 weeks later...

Shame the FL didn't address this; however it would have meant a radical redesign of the doors/cill.

And making the car lower.

It is a problem with all vehicles of the Yeti's height and above.

My Freelander suffers this as well.