Track day noise level testing - what rpm?

NoSmokeNoPoke

Hi All,

I'm looking to get involved in a few track days this year, and was wondering what tracks need noise testing and at what rpm they test? The reason i ask is not because my car is loud, its the fact it has launch control and only revs to ~2700rpm while stationary...! :D

I may need to get this disabled!

Thanks. So your old MK1 Fabia had a limiter too? What rpm did yours rev to? I take it you never got any issues from the 'noise police' hitting a limiter at lower rpm?

Can't remember, I was actually talking about the Yeti and Nissan.

Even in the Fabia I was always way under the limit anyway. Diesels are quieter unless you put something daft on.

At Brands Hatch they saw my car was a diesel and didn't even bother testing it, just gave me the sticker and told me to go.

I've been tested on the rev limiter four times.

They can only test the car stationary so basically they have no choice.

If in doubt give MSV a call, but I can't see it being a problem.

• Like 1

dome a few brands: they should ask you to rev 3/4 while in neutral

if they don't then it's there choice to break the rules.

they cannot send you home if the reason is they did not follow their rules. they only send you home if you break their rules.

your launch control should only become active if in gear and clutch down (or equivalent if dsg ).

if not you'll end up hurting people.

then again, launch control is useless fornon-professional track work.

your launch control should only become active if in gear and clutch down (or equivalent if dsg ).

if not you'll end up hurting people.

How will it hurt people? The launch control that gets mapped in by a lot of companies just limits revs below a certain MPH from standstill - nothing fancy like a Ferrari!

2.7krpm is around 3/4 of 4.5krpm anyway so that should keep most tracks happy :)

Most people look and realise its a diesel and know its never going to be that loud. Usually when they test mine they are surprised it is in the low to mid 90s, but that is below most limits, and my exhaust is not made of very much....

Mine went through at 2.5k, was the quietest car they'd had all day............that's my excuse for driving it like it was in reverse

Quieter than my stock exhaust system Yeti with a DPF?

Wow.

At Combe they have bung like objects, basically a muffler that if you are over you can hire, doesnt affect car, just makes it quieter.

First time at Combe last year in spring mine was 72bd, then in summer one it was 78db with all mods, now I have a 4" slash with non resonated so will be interesting to see, but at least i have 20db to play as they were 98bd iirc.

But it's bloody loud, i suspect when i hit 4k like at combe it will be quieter than on full chat. lovely note, just loud. a mate heard me leave his house and drive 2 miles home all the way. :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

You can just turn up at a trackday and have it tested, see how their rules unfold. Don't book in to go on track, just go for a test when you have a spare couple of hours.