New vrs?

Yeah sorry not wanting to stir a massive petrol vs diesel debate. TSi is better and i generally prefer turbo petrols but just trying to make the point that they arent actually that cheap to "run", any car averaging 30mpg in todays climate wont be cheap.

30MPG assumes booting it all the time. Staying with or leading traffic to Edinburgh around 75 all the way with sonme sprints gave me 40 Mpg. When I try to find anything comparable in performance the diesel equivalent will return about 40-38 Mpg.

Yeah sorry not wanting to stir a massive petrol vs diesel debate. TSi is better and i generally prefer turbo petrols but just trying to make the point that they arent actually that cheap to "run", any car averaging 30mpg in todays climate wont be cheap.

It is if costs peanuts to start with!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I had to change from an 11 plate TSI VRS to a a pre-registered 12 plate CR VRS last year due to my mileage going up and I pay for the bills.

The CR is an estate in black with sat nav and rear parking sensors, which I got for £17k.

My year old TSI VRS had 22K miles and I was given £13K for that.

Although I had to lose money on my TSI, even taking into account the small amount I have as a loan £140 PM, I am still better off due to economy of the CR.

I still miss the petrol car though.

If you can find a SKUK approved 7 month old CR VRS wagon with 1700 miles on the clock for fifteen and a half grand

If its an 11 plate even if was registered at the end of Sept 11 that makes it at least 15 months old; not 7 as youve stated.

Its a lovely car and v rare to find a used car of its age with such low mileage but 15.5k is still fairly strong money for a TSi of that age and therefore hardly what I call peanuts.

Beef dont be daft....I never said the diesel is better just there is sound economic reasoning for choosing one over a petrol. I actually have a Fabia vRS estate right now so know v well how good TSi engines are.

In any case an Octavia vRS is not a sports car; remapping and tuning is for some people granted and I wont knock anyone who chooses to do that but if I wanted a quicker car i'd be buying an S3 or something of that ilk.

The thing is if you want an economical car you'd buy a greenline. I appreciate that a CR VRS is a compromise of performance and economy but the op has made it pretty clear that he wanted a petrol and it made economical sense. I just don't think its very kind to knock someones car when they've just picked it up.

I just hope you don't find out that I've got a tfsi and have covered 2000 miles pcm since owning it... all out of my pocket... :-O

I just hope you don't find out that I've got a tfsi and have covered 2000 miles pcm since owning it... all out of my pocket... :-O

Damn!!! What's that then about £400 pcm petrol. Fair play you r a true petrol head!!

The thing is if you want an economical car you'd buy a greenline. I appreciate that a CR VRS is a compromise of performance and economy but the op has made it pretty clear that he wanted a petrol and it made economical sense. I just don't think its very kind to knock someones car when they've just picked it up.

Christ honestly sometimes I wonder why I bother with reponses such as this.

Im not knocking the OPs car for one, hes found a v nice low mileage well specd tsi estate and i'm pleased for him...i did point out that there is no way an 11 plate car can be 7 months old and that 15.5k is hardly peanuts for one but how is that knocking him....its all true!

And lets just get one thing into perspective....why would I choose a Greenline over a 170 CR when im in the market for a quick but still economical to run car?

Plain economic facts for my position....was interested in getting a new TSi but wasnt all that keen on the fuel economy as it was likey to be similar or worse than the Fabias, road tax was also considerably more. That and the fact a factory order car was going to cost 2k more than a just as well equipped Blackline that I could have in a few weeks not months ultimately did for it.

This has never been a diesel is better than petrol debate or a forum for me to slag the OPs new purchase off, not done that at all in fact if you care to read my earlier posts you'll see I spoke positively of the purchase and offered what I considered to be useful advice.

I just wish people could actually put a little more thought into what they say before passing judgement.

Its funny cos you did reply though! Just accept that some people want petrol and some want diesel - get over it. Whether or not you thought it was peanuts doesn't mean you have to say, I think that's a bit inappropriate.

Damn!!! What's that then about £400 pcm petrol. Fair play you r a true petrol head!!

Yeah about 4k in just over a year. Was a bit shocked when I found out and have subsequently bought a Felicia to keep the miles down! Totally worth it though; you only live once!

I doubt you could find a CR vrs for that price, so I'd need to save £2 to £3k on fuel in 3 years to simply match the petrol. I did the maths, and I'd be saving money for the last 6 months, so it's a no brainer for me since I'm not a derv fan.

I know your not a derv fan but a gauntlet was thrown down on finding a diesel :D here is a 61 plate CR TDI VRS with DSG!! and 7800 miles for just under £16000. Not in your fav black though I like the red ones personally. Looks like a Skoda dealers too.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27ca064907

And for £16849 a 2012 diesel estate with DSG again and 5K on it bargain! Skoda approved used. And another 8K more warranty!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a7cdbda45

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a269637b4

Not for you as your after and happy with petrol but goes to show a diesel VRS estate with DSG is not much difference at moment shopping around!

If its an 11 plate even if was registered at the end of Sept 11 that makes it at least 15 months old; not 7 as youve stated.

Its a lovely car and v rare to find a used car of its age with such low mileage but 15.5k is still fairly strong money for a TSi of that age and therefore hardly what I call peanuts.

My mistake, it's a 12 plate, registered June 2012. 1783 miles on the clock. Indeed, it's not exactly peanuts, but my current one was pretty cheap, I couldn't find a diesel version of the same year / mileage from a main dealer within a grand. That's a fair bit of fuel saving to justify the additional up front cost. Ultimately, as I've said, I am prepared to pay extra for the benefits as I see them of a petrol engine. If I can get 40mpg on a long motorway journey, which is how most of my miles will be racked up, then I will actually be making a little of the fuel costs. Put another way, I can remap it, hoof it, and still not be out of pocket.

• Like 1

This is the actual vehicle:

http://www.monmotors...5/skoda-octavia

The advertised mileage is wrong (7k) and to be fair to Capitol they did the finance at a start of 7k. (3 years 60k miles, so the FMGV is based on 67000 miles)

Don't forget I've got free servicing for 2 years chucked in as well.

£500 difference in price worked out at £16pcm, so an equivalent CR at circa £17k is approx £50pcm more.

At 20k year, assuming 45mpg for a CR, and 35 for the TSI, and based on yesterday's prices at my Tesco for diesel at £1.41 a litre, and 95 RON £1.32 then the CR saves just over £500 a year.

This is the actual vehicle:

http://www.monmotors...5/skoda-octavia

The advertised mileage is wrong (7k) and to be fair to Capitol they did the finance at a start of 7k. (3 years 60k miles, so the FMGV is based on 67000 miles)

Don't forget I've got free servicing for 2 years chucked in as well.

£500 difference in price worked out at £16pcm, so an equivalent CR at circa £17k is approx £50pcm more.

At 20k year, assuming 45mpg for a CR, and 35 for the TSI, and based on yesterday's prices at my Tesco for diesel at £1.41 a litre, and 95 RON £1.32 then the CR saves just over £500 a year.

Bonus on it being a 2012!!!

Not just mpg running costs though road tax £60 a year less on the CR, for me anyway insurance was lower on diesel VRS than petrol (2 groups lower), then depreciation when coming to sell. But for you I think the price is for the enjoyment of the car and being happy with it, which if your holding on to a car for a few years or more is the most important thing. Not forgetting the sound it makes bahhhhh

2 years free servicing not just a single minor service at that mileage on variable? They will be smoked when you change it to fixed and come back every 10K :D 4 free services muwhahahahah inc 1 or 2 big ones :giggle:

Sod Tescos they appear to be high priced for your area check here £1.37 for diesel (Asda & Morrison's) within 5 miles of you displayed location and petrol low as £1.28(Asda & Morrison's) :thumbup: Beware of some Tesco's that on Saturday bump their fuel prices for folk in doing their big shop, used to see that a lot in England don't know how wide spread that practice is.

http://www.petrolpri...h=Ystrad Mynach

My mistake, it's a 12 plate, registered June 2012. 1783 miles on the clock. Indeed, it's not exactly peanuts, but my current one was pretty cheap, I couldn't find a diesel version of the same year / mileage from a main dealer within a grand. That's a fair bit of fuel saving to justify the additional up front cost. Ultimately, as I've said, I am prepared to pay extra for the benefits as I see them of a petrol engine. If I can get 40mpg on a long motorway journey, which is how most of my miles will be racked up, then I will actually be making a little of the fuel costs. Put another way, I can remap it, hoof it, and still not be out of pocket.

Mate thats v good value then for a 12 plate well done. My concern was that 15.5k was pretty strong money for an 11 plate despite the mileage.

I think it all boils down to buy what you want and need. And you can't be criticised for making your decision.

The whole debate about petrol v diesel is swings and roundabouts imho.

I have been driving for nearly 25 years. All my cars have been petrol. But I am now awaiting delivery of a diesel Blackline estate. My annual mileage is low, 6,000pa but why did I do this?

• wanted new and only diesel available now
  • Blackline added extras which were 'free'
  • VAT offer
  • £500 off through VW Finance and three 'free' services
  • tax disc less for the diesel
  • 30% more mpg than petrol
  • diesel less 'frantic' than petrol version http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/20787/vrs-estate
  • diesel better suited to everyday urban driving http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/20787/vrs-estate
  • friend traded in petrol VRS and he was royally spanked by the dealer for having a large petrol engine
  • think the diesel will be easier to move on in a few years
  • Thatcham insurance rate lower than the petrol (for me this doesnt make much difference)

I like the look of the current vrs and was wanting a car with poke. I am not looking for a sports car but if I did then I would want petrol I am sure. I've got a young family and am not looking to charge everywhere but would still like the power to overtake when safe to do so, especially if the car is loaded up with family and/or dog.

I am getting all this with the cr vrs - I am sure I wont get DPF problems and if the whole diesel thing doesn't work out then I will change back to petrol in 3/4 years.

The diesel not doubt cost up to £1k more than the petrol but with the above 'extras' I think it is worth it - and what is another £1k when you are already spending £17k+.

Enjoy your car whatever.

Cheers.

• Like 4

I think a bargain too - price reduced from £17k to £15.5k . There were only 19 vrs petrol wagons in the entire SKUK dealer network yesterday evening, and this was £1500 cheaper than the next under 5k miles.

Picking it up Thursday, next stop Mansfield....

Got mine (Anthracite) early November last year - Skoda pre-reg 40 'delivery' miles - glad/lucky I went for it whilst still available. Well pleased I did hope yours works out good too.

• Like 1

Got mine (Anthracite) early November last year - Skoda pre-reg 40 'delivery' miles - glad/lucky I went for it whilst still available. Well pleased I did hope yours works out good too.

My favourite colour in VRS estate :thumbup:

I normally buy petrol from tesco because the 99 ron is cheaper than the not so nearest shell. Plus club card points of course.

Until its remapped, I'll use the cheapest regular unleaded I can find, petrol prices . com is very useful.

Wouldnt buy a TSI for fear of engine failure.

No need to worry, a few have gone but that is the same with all engines. It's not a big failure problem

Edited by MarkEll

Nice looking car,enjoy! id be a bit worried about the panel gap on the drivers door though......could be a bit of wind noise & a drop of rain may get in! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey, well waddya expect, it is a Shkodaa after all ;)

30MPG assumes booting it all the time. Staying with or leading traffic to Edinburgh around 75 all the way with sonme sprints gave me 40 Mpg. When I try to find anything comparable in performance the diesel equivalent will return about 40-38 Mpg.

EH??? A comparable perfromance diesel at 75mph would easily achieve 50+mpg. My old 320d remapped to 210bhp would not do less than 50mpg at 80mph. At 75mph it would probably be mid to high 50's easily.

My VRS gets no less than 42mpg at 75mph with the roofbox on. Havent done an extended drive without the roofbox yet to see what id get normally.

Anyway its beside the point as the OP wants a petrol. Thing is i want petrol too but am not allowed. Well i am but company car rules restrict Co2 levels.

Newer petrols are getting lower and lower so come change time i may get a petrol. I love diesles but IMO petrol is simply better. Problem is you do get used to decent mpg so it may be hard to stomach the much poorer mpg now im used to it. I never gave two hoots about mpg when i ran my scooby butif i had one again now id probably be in tears.

To the OP the car looks nice. Enjoy.