Snow!

Chan110

Eventually got a smidge about 01.00hrs. Hardly worth the effort.

Everyone on the main road across the green driving as if it didn't happen.

But will stay home anyway, and cook something hearty. Had some beans on soak overnight.

Snowed steadily yesterday but didnt settle on the road. THEN this morning it fell with a vengeance. Its only mm's but its wet and slimy and the stock summer tyres cannot cope! I almost lost it trying to stop coming downhill slowly; it just wouldnt scrub any speed off.... It was too dangerous to consider my 25 mile commute so turned around. The 4x4 system helped me drive back up the hill but whats the point of going if you cant stop?!

Tiny bit of snow here in London, not enough to cover my van annoyingly, had to move it to another borough to avoid a fine but probably enough to shut down the underground and all the airports in the south east.

Don't have winter tyres, don't really see the point here as I have no where to store them, and now we've had a bit of snow the prices will have shot up 200%.

The furbie coped fine a couple of years back when we had real snow, it's not the car it's the driver ;)

**FREEZING FOG** & temperatures around Zero degrees.

(Hardly able to see your hand in front of your face.)

Now those with fog lights which seem to be on permanently can happily keep them on. (will they now switch them off?)

Good idea if the others without any on, now put theirs on.

george

' timestamp='1358158662' post='3088837']

Tiny bit of snow here in London, not enough to cover my van annoyingly, had to move it to another borough to avoid a fine but probably enough to shut down the underground and all the airports in the south east.

Don't have winter tyres, don't really see the point here as I have no where to store them, and now we've had a bit of snow the prices will have shot up 200%.

The furbie coped fine a couple of years back when we had real snow, it's not the car it's the driver ;)

Yes it needs storage :-(

Yes not needed much in warmer parts of the country :-)

Yes price shot up :-(

Yes it will be neigh impossible to find any :-(

Yes its the end of the world as we know it :-)

Had a reasonable covering in leicestershire overnight, main roads all clear though.

Got to work iN Daventry - again reasonable amount, started to snow steadily now but not settling.

I wish we would have some real snow in Redhill. We've had nothing but a light dusting and even that has pretty much melted now. :(

The novelty of the white sh¦te wears off when you see it every year.

Get some winter tyres, mate!

Weighed up wheels and tyres ranging from £400 to £800- post xmas and skint so just cant afford more on the CC :sweat:

4 cheap 16" steel rims

Plus some part-worn winter tyres (maybe new - if budget allows).

Not sure if i ned to recalibrate the speedo (and other things)?

Just to replace the stock 18s with 16s winter -

AND thn re-calibrate again whn 18s go back on!

Just got in from uni (via asda). Walking in Vans is interesting, they have rock all grip in slush. As for the car, Avon ZV3... not much better. Result? Car's booked in for a full set of new Avon Winter Tourings. £240 fitted with my NUS discount so could be worse. It's cheaper than my £750 excess!

You sure she meant snow??? ;):D

I refuse to indulge you in your coarse and vulgar humour.........though she did sound out of breath :think:

I've got it. You want it, you're gonna have to pay for it :p :p :p

In cup cakes or brownies??, what's the going rate for a good 8 inches in Rainham? :)

Still falling this morning but didn't amount to much, now just out of ignorance and mild curiosity what's so different about winter tyres that makes them special?.

• Like 1

bloody raining here now :(

I got 4 matched conti winter tyres for swmbo's citygo off ebay for £140 .. bargin :) 5-6mill so enough over the 4 mill reccomended for snow to last her the 2-3 winters she will have the car (considering the small miles she does!)

4 cheap 16" steel rims

Plus some part-worn winter tyres (maybe new - if budget allows).

Not sure if i ned to recalibrate the speedo (and other things)?

Just to replace the stock 18s with 16s winter -

AND thn re-calibrate again whn 18s go back on!

speedo shouldn't be that far out, try this

Just do not go changing your Rolling radius by much

& the Winter tyres fitted might actually have your Speedo more accurate than the tyres fitted before the change have it.

I imagine you are going up a little bit in total diameter of the tyres even tho the wheel rim diameter is getting smaller.

http://www.kouki.co....ize-calculator.

Back to the OP,

i can not see the change of vehicle which is 4x4 and on LPG,

being that much less economical than a change to the Skoda.

I think i would be keeping the Subaru.

george

just out of ignorance and mild curiosity what's so different about winter tyres that makes them special?.

The rubber is softer and stays softer in the cold so it can still flex to the shape of the road and the tread is heavily siped (the little slits) to grip better.