Snow!

Chan110

What's even more amazing is that mine is the DSG - that off road button really makes hill starts on snow a possibility. The issue is the expense for the limited use and hassle swapping over as its my job to do my partners Vito van tyres twice a year as she won't get paid if she can't get out to see her customers. I only have a 5 mile commute so is it justifiable? If I crashed then the answer is clear.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Yeti with decent winter tyres will be far better.

As said many times, 2wd with the right tyres (winters) is better than 4wd on the wrong ones (summers). 4wd on winters will be virtually unstoppable!

Well yeah. Id guess that ;). Aha.

It would be stoppable round here. Got some mates that are into 4x4. Defenders n discoveries with massive ground clearance, massive wheels n the lot, theyre strugglin at some side roads where the snows drifted aha :)

• Like 1

As from last night, we have snow in Fenland.  At least an inch.  Bright sunshine now though, and temps up to 2C.

I noticed it as I was driving back from Nottingham.  Big piles of dirty grey stuff on the side of the road approaching Market Harborough.  Once I got to Corby it was hacking down, all the way to Peterborough, maybe as far as Pious Drove.

I love winter tyres.

If they have only had a few hours of snow in the winter so far, and maybe not even a few days in a year then you can understand it.

The roads tend not to have snow on them like in Norway, it gets back to Black Top rather quickly in many areas.

Edited by goneoffSKi

After browsing around in this thread abit, Im kinda amazed that so many drive around in the snow with summertyres! Thats just insane....

I've never had winter tyres on any vehicle ive driven, I don't think the North west of England actually needs them since we get so little snow each year. That said, if we did have bad winters and prolonged snow/ice I would be open to buying them however I never keep my cars longer than 18 months to 2 years so it just isn't worth it for me.

I've never had winter tyres on any vehicle ive driven, I don't think the North west of England actually needs them since we get so little snow each year. That said, if we did have bad winters and prolonged snow/ice I would be open to buying them however I never keep my cars longer than 18 months to 2 years so it just isn't worth it for me.

Last year was mild and wet so no need, however this winter is shaping up to be a cold one. I live in the north west and I still have sheet ice in places. We had a series of cold winters about 5 years ago where I had winter boots on the Octy Vrs otherwise I'd have been stuck at home. They're not just for snow and ice but for Improved traction and braking generally. I agree that it's a balancing act between cost and real necessity as you really need a spare set of wheels to swap out each season. My partner has a RWD van and without her winter boots she'd be unable to earn a living being self employed

Last year was mild and wet so no need, however this winter is shaping up to be a cold one. I live in the north west and I still have sheet ice in places. We had a series of cold winters about 5 years ago where I had winter boots on the Octy Vrs otherwise I'd have been stuck at home. They're not just for snow and ice but for Improved traction and braking generally. I agree that it's a balancing act between cost and real necessity as you really need a spare set of wheels to swap out each season. My partner has a RWD van and without her winter boots she'd be unable to earn a living being self employed

It must be a lot colder where you are compared to the Lake District, I've only had a de-ice the car three times so far and winter is almost over.

I understand they're for ice and generally cold weather however even back in 2009/10 when we had decent snow I still managed fine with standard tyres as the roads are well gritted and soon cleared in cumbria. I'm not trying to be billy big .......... But I just can't justify the cost of them for the small amount of benefit is get, I still drive up whinlatter pass in the snow (last time was 2 weeks ago) and get up and down without issue, even our police cars don't use em because they are useful for such a short amount of time. Hopefully when we get decent winters again I'll change my mind and buy some.

I wonder if the greater volume of traffic packing the snow down makes it more treacherous here? My Yeti was one of the few cars to traverse the narrow lane the other day - summer tyres took me up but massive amounts of anticipation were required to slow us down

I can absolute understand People in more hospitable climates not buying wintertyres. What I dont understand is why they drive on the few snowy days. Most likely it will go just fine, but the day when a kid or something runs in front the car, you'll have no chance to stop or evade. Is it worth taking the risk?

A car with summertyres in the snow is like Bambi on ice in that old Disney cartoon.

Edit: meant to quote mdon. I blame it on Gremlins.

Edited by Gromle
  • Like 1

Some companies don't make allowances for snow. No work no pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True that.

And if you're self employed like myself, no work no pay either.

Although the snow slowed us down somewhat, we were never completely stuck when we had 12 inches a few weeks back. So still managed to get some jobs done thanks to the winters.

Would of been at home for 2-3 days without them maybe more.

Still got bits of snow left now, nearly 2 weeks on

Some companies don't make allowances for snow. No work no pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not here either. Snow is not a valid reason for not going to work or school.

Good clothes and good tyres are all thats needed.

• 9 months later...

I'd add to that ,proper driver training, where a light touch is taught .Unfortunately, in UK, this is not taught, and the idiots way of getting out of problems in mud/snow is that more power to the driving  wheels means more grip, except that this is the opposite. it's the brawn overcomes brain approach.In years past, I've moved vans out of problem areas, with this approach, where the driver could only sit still, with rear wheels doing 90 MPH. 

I'd add to that ,proper driver training, where a light touch is taught .Unfortunately, in UK, this is not taught, and the idiots way of getting out of problems in mud/snow is that more power to the driving  wheels means more grip, except that this is the opposite. it's the brawn overcomes brain approach.In years past, I've moved vans out of problem areas, with this approach, where the driver could only sit still, with rear wheels doing 90 MPH. 

That's correct 95% of the time.

I did get SWMBOs Beemer up a steep slope in the snow without winter tyres by gently getting it rolling and then wellying it up the hill. Quite entertaining it was too :devil:

Sounds silly but I've always found the secret in the snow is to keep moving, if you can keep moving, then you can keep moving. Snow is much worse in towns with traffic lights and junctions. they force you to stop then you're screwed because you've lost your momentum.

• Like 1

Some companies dont permit winter tyres, and dont let you change the summers until theyre below 2mm.

Also. Its not the kids that have a problem getting to school here.. Its all the teachers that come from out of town and are clueless

• 1 month later...