VRS TFSI Estate - towing a caravan

My wife has talked me into caravanning and so I am going to have tow a Sprite Alpine 4 with my 2010 VRS TFSI estate. Has anyone done this? If so do you have any tips and how is it as a tow car?

I was thinking of going for a detachable tow bar with the proper VAG electrics. Any advice on this one welcome.

That will be a good match, but you might want to beef up your rear suspension with some MAD spring assister's,I used VAG 13 pin electrics just for the options they gave with alarm, bulb warning and stability function, you will need two kits one for the main functions and the second kit for your aux charging circa £300 just for electrics, but I would shop

around with installers ,

If you have children you will have a grate time caravanning !

They are a good match and you will enjoy the Alpine 4 like us, ours is a 2006 and never had a problem. I opted for a fixed flange type (factory towbar prep,dealer fit towbar with VAG electrics 13 pin) and just put on an Alko towball for the vans Alko stabiliser. As said, make sure you get the extra wiring and relays for the caravan fridge and battery charging. The caravan had 12n/12s plugs, so I changed them to a 13 pin plug, both cables went into the plug with easy wiring.

Get out and enjoy.

AzurCampingWertheimGermanyx.jpg?t=1358094284

http://chriscaravana....wordpress.com/

I tow with my vRS and its brilliant. The remap obviously helps, but I still beat most people away from the lights! Mine is slightly lowered and I get no issues even with the boot fully loaded. I have a detachable Westfalia. Couldn't fault it.

• 3 months later...

Many thanks for the advice. I went for a Westfalia detachable with electrics to match the car. I'm now thinking about the MAD air suspension assisters to give a bit of help to the rear springs although it doesn't seem too bad right now.

Here's the outfit, as they call it.post-92896-0-05148400-1366576075_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We tow with a 61plate vrs estate and ive just fitted some mad air helpers and they seem brilliant as you can adjust the air pressure to suit your load

That sound great. How do you adjust the air pressure?

VRS will pull your rig (much better description than outfit) into the middle of next week.

I found traction was a problem with wheel spin in 3rd on Michelin Energy tyres with "only" 140bhp. Also the saggy bottom with 65kg of awning in the boot and 75kg nose weight

Wet grass? Go give a bottle of plonk to some one with a 4 wheelerdrive to get you off.

Other than that great fun and much warmer than camping!

• 1 year later...

Hi very new to this and on an old post by the looks lol I have a 2008 Scout with DPF delete and 170bhp I pull a swift charisma 570 6berth and I'm interested in the mad air but don't know where they are available so any help would be greatly welcomed thanks

• 6 months later...

You should be alright with your DSG, you will have the wet clutch 6 speed version which will handle the extra load OK. I had one in my Octavia and it pulled and manoeuvred a 1300kg caravan no problem. 

We tow with a Octavia 4x4, 1.9pd 2006, i find it a very stable car to tow with, very capable even being the 105 bhp model, so the VRS would have no issues.

Interestingly the 4x4 seems to have no issue with rear springs, certainly i dont think it needs any assistance, in fact i could do with the towball being slightly lower, im hoping on a big holiday it will sit a little lower with extra stuff in the boot.

All in all a fantastic towcar.

Our outfit !

DSC_0247_zpsaeebynpp.jpg

Bit of a necro, we're also having an initial look at caravans and have a 2010 VRS estate. Any issues with this being a DSG that we should be aware of?

Cheers

About the dsg, we have the 55 plate 140 bhp Elegance and pulling Charisma 535 1340 klg. Problem started with juddering on inclines so had oil s and filter change to see whether it was that but no it is the box internals, not the clutches or mechatronics . Cost near £4000.. Skoda weight mean you have to have a lightweight caravan up to 1320 klg whats yours?. Regarding springs , if your loading is correct you do not need it.