Possible PD VRS Purchase

Hi Everyone,

A newcomer to this site. Am looking at purchasing a VRS PD but after reading all the DPF, injector and starting problems is it really worth it?

I had a Fabia VRS back in 04 and chipped it 190bhp and would love to relive those days again!

My mrs lives approx 1/2 a mile from Jabbasport so can easily drop in there for a quick remap etc!!

I know when theyre working they are awesome but reading quite a few horror storys on here!

Help!!!

there was an injector recall. A quick call to a local skoda dealer will tell you if its been done, if not they will do it for free.

DPF issues caused by them not regerating and getting clogged. This is expensive to replace BUT aslong as you dont drive at 30mpg everyware its not a big issue.

My vrs has a daily commute of 1.5 miles each way in town but is often used out of town too so even though its normal commute never goes over 30mph the light (telling me to make sure it does a regen) rarely comes on

Thanks Ryan,

Does the injector recall matter if the car is out of warranty etc? ( just the one im looking at is an 07 with 73k on clock)

I'm aiming at doing probably 30k a year so will see plenty of motorway etc so maybe the dpf will get a good blast quite often

what about removing the DPF?

Sorry to be a pain!!

yeap. Out of warranty or not it was a manufacturer recall and they must honour it and they do. Lots of evidence on this site of people getting recalls done years after it was originaly done.

You can get the DPF removed but i have read it will be an MOT failure soon/now

Two main issues to be aware of that are specific to the PD170 (there are others but these apply to most other Octavia's too)...

1) Injectors. A non issue as they rarely fail. However they will have already been replaced (check for the recall sticker next to the spare wheel in the boot) or can be replaced for free, irrespective of warranty, mileage or service history.

2) DPF. £500 to have it removed. Budget for this when shopping around and it won't come as a shock. DPF removal is not an MOT failure.

Had my vrs tdi from New coming up five years had injectors replaced and cambelt done no probs with dpf at all apart from faulty sensor when car was a year old.

i read on pistonheads that removing ANY emmisions devices (cat, dpf etc) is a instant fail

There was a thread on here too. The MOT regs make specific reference to a catalytic converter but not a DPF.

You could maybe buy a vRs that's had all the work already done like DMF, injectors, abs sensor etc. May sell my estate if your interested? 74k FSH and everything done. Its actually in tomorrow for new inlet manifold and am replacing glow plugs while its in.

I've had the car nearly 5 years. It is silver and vgc. Still has a few months Skoda extended warranty as well.

Have been looking at prices and they soon go up beyond 7k. Would be looking at around that figure.

Edited by xyster

There was a thread on here too. The MOT regs make specific reference to a catalytic converter but not a DPF.

i'll be doing some serious research before I do any removals on mine thats for sure. Typical MOT and grey area

My re-mapped PD vRS was great, until the DPF failed. £1000 to replace, luckily done under warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't touch another car with a DPF, unless I had the funds to remove it or it had already been done.

Wait until a few more of the DPF's on the CR start to show their weaknesses.

It's also worthy of note that the vast majority of DPF issues on the PD170 were sensor related, some of which are used on the CR170.

MOT wise you shouldn't have any issues so long as you just get the innards of the DPF removed. The tester is only looking for the presence of a filter and as he can only see the housing there will be no problem. My last octy went through 2 MOTs with the innards removed.

By the way, JabbaSport remapped my PD vRS and removed the innards and it was an extremely impressive MAP.

Fitz

Thanks guys you have been a great help!

Xyster, sounds exactly what I need but my budget at the min is approx £6500!!

Fitz323, How much did Jabba charge you? ( I'm literally 2 mins walk from them, I should go and stick my nose in there I guess!)

Typcally, it looks as if the one I had seen over the weekend has sold!!! :doh:

Start the car from cold, if the idle starts to get irratic and some white toxic fumes out the back think long and hard about buying it. I had those issues on my Audi A4 Sline after the injectors. Audi checked it twice, said it was fine. The MOT bay that got gassed out by the white fumes said different (although it passed). I knew it wasn't right after the injectors but Audi/VW just did not want to know. If you google my symptoms you'll see its not just me.

mechanically, I haven't a clue. I got mine about 3 weeks ago and still grin like a child. I make excuses to go out, just so I can drive. never really had a car I am proud of, but this one is just something special.

I do 35000 miles per year mainly motorway, so I guess the dpf is not a huge issue, however pick any car at all and then google its known faults- you'll scare yourself into getting a pushbike instead!

if it helps, mine was 56 plate, nov 2006. 110,000 miles fsh and I paid £5k. looking to last a year, maybe two and then get a newer car, but something tells me it will be another one of these.....

sent via Playbook and Tapatalk

if it helps, mine was 56 plate, nov 2006. 110,000 miles fsh and I paid £5k. looking to last a year, maybe two and then get a newer car, but something tells me it will be another one of these.....

sent via Playbook and Tapatalk

thats mega cheap.