52000 miles, a service, and total reliability

Freshacre

Just been to Sinclair Skoda in Swansea, a 46 mile journey, and back, to have a service at 52000 miles. As ever it was great value at £130 with good advice and support, which I have come to expect.

This Yeti has done a high mileage with zero faults except, as was picked up today - a duff fog light bulb, and originally no heated seat squab. It has averaged over summer (44mpg) and winter (42mpg) - overall 42.8mpg, and been serviced every 10-12,000 miles at Sinclair's.

It makes me very nervous of part-exchanging this car which has given such impeccable ownership to me, in case it's replacement is less reliable! Tho I did fancy a white Superb 170 elegance in 4*4 they had on show!

• Like 4

Good to hear.

Just curious, did the blown fog light bulb not flag up as duff on the dash?

Yes it did - but I forgot all about it when checking in! They have a system of timed appointments and I was a tad tardy in arriving, so was breathless, coughing, and flustered (LOL).

I once had a warning on the dash to say a brakelight bulb had failed, as soon as the warning arrived it went out.

Once home I checked and they were all working OK so thought no more of it.

A few months later after a routine service I checked the paperwork and noticed that they had replaced the bulb as a precaution even though it was working. They said it had logged as a fault when they plugged the car in.

Clever stuff!

Skoda (apparently) had a batch of faulty brake light bulbs supplied that were fine when stationary, but failed when you braked whilst driving along. The fault would show up on the display, but when the bulb was next checked it worked ok. Road vibration presumably rattled something apart inside the bulb as you drove along

I had this on both brake lights on my Yeti quite soon after I bought it and was really frustrating to sort out as the bulb appeared to be perfect when tested.

Edited by speedsport

The element sometimes parts in two when it fails but its still long enough to meet and with the vibration the two ends join up and it starts to work again--- until you hit a bump-----

• Like 1

Just been to Sinclair Skoda in Swansea, a 46 mile journey, and back, to have a service at 52000 miles. As ever it was great value at £130 with good advice and support, which I have come to expect.

This Yeti has done a high mileage with zero faults except, as was picked up today - a duff fog light bulb, and originally no heated seat squab.

which service did they do for £130? Seems excellent value - I cant find anything round here for less than £180, though I am on variable interval servicing.

Join the club Freshacre, my Yeti has done 65k now and no issues at all, I have been on variable servicing not fixed like yourself. I have also the exact average MPG you have stated.

I will have my Yeti until August 2015 when it will have covered at least another 65k miles so I see no reason why you should change yours just yet.

which service did they do for £130? Seems excellent value - I cant find anything round here for less than £180, though I am on variable interval servicing.

Each service theyve done has been abot that, unless I have asked for something additional. Seems to me to be great value for money, coupled with the additional texts to remind me, the follow up questions and the "warnings" regarding pptential expense coming up.

George,

Didn't they change the Haldex oil or the brake fluid?

When mine was in for its 54k service last month they did mine. Bill was a lot more!!

This was what they "warned" me about. Apparently they felt it wasn't needed just yet.

My yeti is the most problematic Skoda I've ever had (and I've had 9 before this ranging from an estelle in 1990 to my last Octavia in 2011).

So far I've had a sunroof leak which caused mould to grow throughout the interior. And I've had the aircon compressor go faulty.

Can't fault the service though, the interior was removed, car dried and new interior fitted when the mould happened, and the aircon compressor was replaced same day.

So a poor fault record but good recovery by the dealer.

My monster had a first service almost 12 months ago, at about 12,000 miles. It has now done almost 23,000 miles and I was thinking of booking it in for its annual service soon (as has been my practice with every other car I have ever owned). However, I notice that the dealer put a sticker on the side of the dashboard after last year's service, saying that it is on variable servicing - when I go into Maxidot, it tells me I don't need another service for 9000 miles (or 417 days!). Should I trust this, or are my instincts to have an annual service correct? My annual mileage is likely to drop a bit now, as I will be driving long distances less frequently, so I guess the variable service will show as due in about a year's time, ie a two-year gap from its only previous service.

Id personally do it every 12 months or 12,000 miles (I do mine every 6,000 miles or 6 monthly!!)) but almost everyone on here will disagree given previous discussions on this. A guess alot of it comes down to whether or not the car is a 'keeper'. :)

mine has done 65k and only had three services, all in the design of the vehicle. This subject has been discussed before and I think it comes down to personal choice

Fresacre

If you have the dosh and nothing better to do with it then get yourself a new Yeti.

No reason to assume it wont be as good as the present one and think of those poor Skoda dealers desparate for your cash!

Go on you know you deserve it!

Fuzzy

• Like 1