Ex Motability. Good buy or not?

spember

Hi

My 2002 Fabia Estate is beginning to fall apart(!) and I'm looking around for another Skoda. I've noticed a Fabia Scout, which is 3 years old - low mileage- but it's a former Motability vehicle. (One owner)

There is no handbook/service record - only invoices to show it's two past services. I was told by the dealer that Motability vehicles have their service records retained once the contract has ended. Is that true?

Does anyone have experience of buying a Motability car?

Cheers.

My mums got MS and gets mobility vehicles, services every year, gets tyres whenever it needs it, most of the people are sensible so the cars arent hammered about in the slightest, the service history gets kept as proof for the disabled persons record that they look after the car or they could lose the next one if they dont make the car available for services/repairs.

Id buy one!

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. Very useful. ( I thought the dealer may be trying to pull a fast one - so good to know the reasons why service records might be retained) I'll definitely check the car out.

Cheers

As above, they are a good buy, dealers do whatever is required so if it can even be remotely justified its done. Dealer who serviced it can provide a duplicate service book if you are bothered about having one.

Id look around first if i was you make sure its been looked after. Im not trying to tar everyone with the same brush here so hear me out.. We get a lot of mint motab cars coming into our garage that are maintained and spotless inside and then other times we get others coming in when they finally decide the scraping noise and crunching noises are beginning to annoy them and they are complete sheds and vile inside and out.

Just have a good look at it, you should be able to get the service book no problem if not get the dealer to supply a new one.

Id look around first if i was you make sure its been looked after. Im not trying to tar everyone with the same brush here so hear me out.. We get a lot of mint motab cars coming into our garage that are maintained and spotless inside and then other times we get others coming in when they finally decide the scraping noise and crunching noises are beginning to annoy them and they are complete sheds and vile inside and out.

Just have a good look at it, you should be able to get the service book no problem if not get the dealer to supply a new one.

Well myself was in charge of motability for a well known Ford dealership and in around 10 years of dealing with mobility customers. Myself have never ever seen single car that could be described as a complete shed or vile inside or out.And if the car was returned in a unsatisfactory condition,they would be reported and any damaged or cleaning would have to be paid for by the mobility hirer,plus the fact if they were reported they could lose there motability allowance.And I am 100% know one on the motability allowance would risk that, motability cars are excellent buys with very low mileage and full service from the dealership involved.

Edited by padi

There will have been a mint condition Ford Fusion 3 1.4 TDCI just sold as my step mum has motability cars. The Fusion had seat covers on from day one and mats on the floor and well looked after.

Give it 3 years and there will be a mint Ford BMax 1.0 L ecoboost 100ps up for grabs.

As above thought it will depend as some people don't give a **** about the cars and don't look after them!

Same with any car really!

Phil

Went with my nephew 18 months ago to check over ex-Motability Fabia 2 estate 1.4 petrol. Lovely car 9000 miles after 2 years, serviced by selling dealer even though not upto mileage.

Now done over 35,00 trouble free miles and he's a Skoda convert. That's 2 sons, a nephew and a neice with Fabias 'cos I recommended! My Fab now has 60,000 plus and it's great.

As usual, you need to be careful about kerbed alloys etc as well as checking interior for damage in case of wheelchair pulling in and out over the sills.

I once looked at an ex motability car. There was interior cosmetic damage and the gearstick was loose and just flopped about. Gear changes were awful, but the dealer was very proud of the full service history it had!

Well myself was in charge of motability for a well known Ford dealership and in around 10 years of dealing with mobility customers. Myself have never ever seen single car that could be described as a complete shed or vile inside or out.And if the car was returned in a unsatisfactory condition,they would be reported and any damaged or cleaning would have to be paid for by the mobility hirer,plus the fact if they were reported they could lose there motability allowance.And I am 100% know one on the motability allowance would risk that, motability cars are excellent buys with very low mileage and full service from the dealership involved.

my mum has MS and the car she gets through motability is looked after, on the other hand, I know a guy that gets motabilty cars and they have been treated so badly you wouldn't believe - regularly at the local 'meets' doing burnouts, handbrake turns, j-turns and generally driven without care, not always but often enough that I wouldn't want to pay money for one of his old motability cars

Treat them the same as any used car. The negative statements posted above could be said about any used car you may buy, not just motability. There are some great deals out there, my dads brothers partner (sadly departed) had one and it was driven by her daughter. Well looked after, and very low mileage.

The only issue I can think of is that most will most likely be used to do short town runs, and the wear that this can impose on the clutch / seats etc.

Treat them the same as any used car. The negative statements posted above could be said about any used car you may buy, not just motability. There are some great deals out there, my dads brothers partner (sadly departed) had one and it was driven by her daughter. Well looked after, and very low mileage.

The only issue I can think of is that most will most likely be used to do short town runs, and the wear that this can impose on the clutch / seats etc.

absolutely, treat them like just another used car; people some seemed to be of the opinion that an ex-motability car will be a carefully driven, low mileage and fully looked after used car bargain - anything that was paid for by my mum's DLA had would have been, but it's not a given

Thanks again all.

I think - 'take a careful look and a test drive' seems to be the best option. Good to know I could get a copy of the full service info if I need it too.

Watch this space I suppose!

Cheers