Can DVLA Save the Planet . . . Please ?

Clunkclick

I've been renewing my annual Road Tax over the internet more or less since it started (8 years ago ?). But for some reason DVLA keep sending me the paper reminder each year -.I don't need it.

Is there a way of turning it off - the most I need is an E-Mail.

Thinking about it, given that it us now the registered owners legal responsibility to ensure a roadgoing vehicle is on the DVLA database and that the vast majority car owners will have an internet connection of some description with a calendar app embedded in their devices software, what's the point of sending out reminders full-stop.

Why's there the need still to display a road tax disk, given the definitive information is in the DVLA darabase ?

Assuming tbat there still exists some overwhelming unalterable requirementt to continue to display evidence of Road Tax payment about the car wouldn't an indication in the LCD dashboard most modern cars suffice ? - and after-market suppliers could cater for older vehicles lacking a dashboard LCD witb a stick-on LCD equivalent equipped with a bluetooth or USB link ? Or Failing that couldn't you just print-it a suitably security coded item out on an inkjet ?

Fewer trees axed, less printing, storage, distribution and postage and fewer expensive window envelopes ?

Nick

Thoughts of anyone saving the planet while buy car road tax for an internal combustion engine vehicle,

and wasteful paper or post tickles my fancy.

I think people would be amazed how many car owners are not computer users.

I know many car owners that have never been online and still need to go to a post office, which in its self is not so easy anymore.

george

I've heard something about droppign the requirement for a physical disc too.

Also, like others, I've been renewing on-line for years now (not least because it makes renewing on the last day of validity easier).

Don't forget of course, that for every tax disc issued, there's at least twice as much paper again binned from where we tear it out.

Bearing in mind that we're incapable of moving forward quickly in the UK, how about a small step - wouldn't a square 'disc' be a more effective use of resources?

Why not just recycle the bit of paper instead of moaning about it.

Most people need some kind of reminder that they need to tax thier vehicle.

And a lot dont have computers or email.

I have older cars so why should I have to pay for some unwanted piece of technology fitting in my car just to tax it.

The tax disc is displayed so the powers that be can check it easily without having to spend 5 mins checking with the database which will most likley be down anyway because so many people will be trying to access it.

I want the tax disc to remain. It creates jobs for one and it allows the police to quickly check the tax on cars and as above allows joe public to do the same.

I can't believe anybody gives half a toss about this?

It's not like the tax disc is made of skin from a pandas scrotum...

It's a visible disc in the windscreen so Joe Public can grass people up

for keeping/using an untaxed vehicle on a public road which in turn

raises more revenue for the DVLA/Government in fines.

And that's fine by me by the way... I've reported more than a few untaxed

cars over the years.

Agreed, that would probably be the DOTs official position on the issue, and on its own is just an irritant and a minor inefficiency. As an ex-Civil-Servant I'm more than aware that a ross government, its a huge and costly problem as is file arcbiving (Of course, that doesn't stop the contracted-out companies running FA these five minutes making a very comfortable return out if it). A fair number of processes are still intensely paper-based, despite previous administrations committing government to the paperless office e.g. Ex-presidentee Teeth's utterance prior to 2005. I'm also aware, in addition to it being wasteful and costly and productivity limiting, it slows some processes down to the level of a glacial crawl, even in environments where speed is of the essence and with the added consequence that the taxpayer is stung for more than they need be.

Can't say I seen many of the cops in the Police, Camera, Action oulling over a vehicle and then checking the tax disk -they usually go for a reg check on their in-car terminal before even approahing the miscreants.

The recent TV coverage of the House of Lords debate of the bill to introduce VED on foreign commerial vehicles using Britains roads showed the way things are going i.e. No tax disk, pre-registration per vehicle of foreign hauliers on a DOT web-site and payment to be rendered for first and subsequent uses in any tax year -even this measure was being hammered by oponents in the House, probably with some justifucation,, cause it looked like foreign hauliers could drive their vehicles on UK roads without paying first.

So sadly, it looks like HMG policy isn't being crafted to accomodate the public spirited activities of a minority of vigilant citizens.

Personally, I think VED is stupid and too high - most of the money raised is vired off to other ends and the high tariff is indicative that the measure has been subverted into a national congestion charge/carbon tax. If you want to do that have seoarate taxes and raise them on a usuage basis i.e. Stick as an ad valorem on fuel.

With my annual mileage now only 2,500, I don't see why I should subsidise, through my VED oayment, those doing a higher mileage.

I'll have to end now as I'm getting repetitive strain injury from this quill and I've got to polish up the old penny farthing in oreoaration of the weekly trip to the supermarket.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Well same could be said for all legal documents for a car in that case, MOT's can be viewed online, Insurance documents can be emailed (some do) and tax can be done by other means but i like having the paper work. I still tax my car at the post office although im very computer literate, i like the idea of they take money and i get road tax to put in my window in exchange, not wait about in the post for it.

• Like 1

I am currently trying to renew my mums driving licence online at direct.gov.uk/renewat70,

just to save sending her passport off,

just register and get security, then give Drivers Number, Passport number etc.

Tried several times now over the last 12 hours and never got passed half way on the Registration and the site freezes.

'Not fit for purpose'.

george

Too many things are going paperless these days I for one have better things to do then spend hours sat behind a computer screen.

I do go online to view forums and the like but not for long periods.

I have no problem filling in paperwork but I guess a lot of the computer generation cant do a lot of it without spellcheck.

If everyone did it all online the system would go into meltdown.

As I understand it, not having a tax disc is a criminal offence whereas not displaying one (or not displaying it in the right place) is a civil office. Policemen haven't bothered to check for tax discs or care if one is displayed or not as "not their problem" for as long as I can remember. Well, apart from if as part of a "suss" check, unless things have changed and maybe PCSOs check now?

Probs best not go there with charging for paper bills yet freely sending multitudinous unsolicited advertising junk mail by some utility companies.

TV Licence is different. They just sent a letter saying that this was the last piece of paper they'd send but will of course be carrying on the direct debit. Hmm.

For my part, I have gone paperless for banks, utilities etc (Where they offer the service), so that's 80% of the people I deal with.

Save's me a fortune in time and money - if I trot down to the bank in the high street half a mile away, then, on foot it takes me 45 minutes, there and back, including the mandatory 15 minute wait in the queue (Even when its slack) And then if I'm clever, I'll schedule my trip to "Hit" another high-street vendor and that's another 15 minutes queing per vendor. And if the weather's bad . . .

If i go by car (Not advisable at weekends), then its half an hour return and £0.70 in parking and petrol.

If I arrange to oay my bills on-line, or make adjustment to by bank account on-line, then your talking about 10 minutes per transaction.

No contest.

I have to say I've experienced no enduring problems accessing Government websites, or those of private providers, but I appreciate that that experience may be different in country districts - me NW London, BT Infinity 40Mb service (From Dec '12, previously 8Mb BT Total Broadband - no problems there either).

I can hear you saying, what about receiots for these on-line transactions ? In the past, I used to print them out on the inkjet. Don't do that now, just print them to Microsofts OneNote (Or Evernote if I'm on the move (For later transfer to the Onenote master record) and that gives me a running tally list in chronological order which I can then cross-check against on-line bank statements, utlity bills, at a later date.

Another advantage is that I now don't have to spend 10 minutes in the morning outsorting the "Real" mail from the promotional crap.

Nick