Citigo ASG Gearbox - Fault or Design

Ryn

Has anyone with the Skoda Citigo 75 ASG had a problem with the gearbox failing to connect drive? If so could you please let me know.

Having reversed out of a parking space and then selecting D (Drive Green Light on) my car would not drive forward, as though the gearbox was in neutral or the clutch had failed. Attempts to then move the car in R reverse or M sequential shift all failed. Switched off the engine with the car in N neutral then restarted and drive OK. Had this problem twice both times after reversing. No further problems to date and have been unable to recreate the fault.

Can only assume that for some reason the gearbox servo electrics got its knickers in a twist which then cleared when the engine was stopped and restarted. The car had only done 105 miles to date of the fault.

Have reported the fault to Skoda UK and the car is going into the dealers next week for investigation. Neither Skoda or the Dealer are aware of anyone else reporting this fault.

Will post the outcome on this thread.

Regards,

Ryn.

I remember a similar fault reported on some of the DSGs. The box basically gets in a fluff and thinks it's still in neutral and so doesn't engage the clutch. This was termed a "false neutral" by Skoda.

Definitely not right and needs to go back to the dealers.

Phil

• Like 1

my next door neighbor had the same problem, when she first picked her car up, came nocking on my door saying her new car would not go backwards or forwards.

bill

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and advice very much appreciated. I will contact Skoda to get their reaction.

What was the outcome for those that have had this fault, was it simply some form of system reload or adjustment or were replacement parts required?

The reason that there may have been few or no faults of this type reported with the VW Up! could be that the ASG models have only recently been delivered to owners. When I looked at the VW I was told that I would have to wait until late January at the earliest for an ASG model. No experience of the Seat Mii.

Stopping on unmanned level crossings is not as frightening as blocking the car park entrance at Tesco when all those angry mums want to get their shopping and then pick-up the kids, been there got the tee-shirt.

Thanks,

Mike :whew:

• Like 1

Have you pressed fully on brake pedal during the switching between R>N>D? Not always but,I also experienced this issue on a even ground without pressing the brake, then I found out ASG gearbox uses brakepedal as a means of confirmation for applying the clutch. Try it.

Anyway ASG probably will recieve a number of updates.

Edited by rumiexile
  • Like 1

Reference the posts from aToOoOoMboi and rumiexile thank you for your suggestions.

I am pretty sure that I had my foot on the brake and waited for the green D light before trying to accelerate but spent some time this morning trying to create the problem using both of your suggestions. No luck, could not recreate the fault.

You may well be correct but the car is going to dealer next Tuesday and I will bring the suggestions to their attention.

Thanks,

Mike.

• Like 1

My Citigo ASG spent the day at the local Skoda Dealer yesterday to investigate the "False Neutral" problem. This was in conjunction with Skoda Technical who I had contacted about the fault and who had asked the dealer to keep them informed.

The car diagnostics were interrogated and no fault codes were found. The dealer technician then ran a series of static and on the road tests, some asked for by Skoda and the fault could not be recreated.This test included actions suggested by members of this forum.

The outcome was as I expected, that no fault could be found but Skoda and the dealer are monitoring the situation to see if any other customer has a similar problem. This includes contacting VW Technical to see if a similar fault has been reported on the VW Up ASG. They are going to contact me next week to give me an update. My understanding is that in the circumstance of "No found Fault" no investigative or remedial action is taken until 5 incidents are reported.

If you have this fault with the ASG gearbox would you please contact Skoda/Your Dealer to let them know. I will post any information I receive about this.

Thanks

Mike.

Hello Ryn, you are quite right to get the car checked as you have done. But I would not be too concerned at this stage that you have had an 'incident' with your cars gearbox, or that no fault has been found with the car. With just 105 miles on the clock at the time of the fault, I would bet it's just a case of a sticky solenoid or the fact the whole transmission linkages are very taught and not run in yet. This can cause false info to be posted back to the ecu causing some electrical knicker twisting. I think that's what you probably experienced. This won't show up with any fault codes either as in fact there is nothing really wrong, except, everything is a bit tight still causing electro mechanical misalignment with all the sensors. It's something I've come across with some commercial vehicles with the same system a few short years ago. Do keep posting on this though. Good luck.

• Like 2

Hello Estate Man,

Thanks for the information. I have not had any further problems with False Neutral since the two incidents and totally agree with your analysis. If the fault occurs again then I will report it but until then I am going to enjoy the Citigo.

Skoda and the dealer have been excellent in dealing with this and have said that they will let me know if this is a problem with VW and Seat versions of the ASG.

Regards,

Mike.

• 5 months later...

I bought a Citigo ASG last September and so far its been back to the dealer 3 times for not selecting reverse gears. The problem is still happening even though its had a new gearbox and a new sensor. All this and I've only done 3000 miles. The dealer has assured me this is the first gearbox problem they have heard about, but that's obviously not the case. 

Although they state that the problem needs to reoccur 5 times before they they consider it a dud, I have spoken to the C A B and they have said this is Skoda's warranty policy. Nothing to do with your statutory rights as a consumer. I'm considering getting my money back and using it to buy a Kia Picanto as this is the courtesy car they have given me when my cars been in the garage. It's a wonderful drive and no problems reversing off my drive.

Just waiting to hear if my cars going in for the 4th time !!!!!!

Regards

Dissapointed TJH

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

My ASG has 7k on it now but in the first week of ownership I noticed the 'false neutral'  issue and sent it in for a check, they found nothing ? Since then I have a problem with pulling away at junctions as in the car starts to move but then the drive is disengaged and go nowhere for a few seconds, also driving along the lost of power. So back in it went but this this time they found some error codes! but they told me they did not know how to fix it? They had to wait for Skoda! They gave me my car back telling me that they had to order in new gearbox,clutch and ecu unit !!  Since then spoken to them and now there telling me  that it my just be quirks of the asg gearbox? Well I'm not having that! I think it's time for me to get me money back or them buy it back and i'll have a Fabia DSG instead .

Marcus

• 2 months later...

I've got an ASG (automatic clutch) Citigo and this has happened to me once when put it into R with brake on and wouldn't engage, tried again and then worked fine.  It's since been to the dealers for a computer check up and all fine - as just the once on way back from Gatwick I lost power, engine still running showing in gear but no power. Stopped at side of road, waited a few seconds then all fine.

Despite a couple of teething problems I enjoy my car....apparently the ASG gearbox has a memory so if you always drive it slowly it'll respond slowly so I tend to be a bit firmer with my acceleration where necessary - but obviously still driving sensibly & SAFELY for all road users!!  Fuel economy is great though car always goes into 5 gear asap to save you money.  I find it a very comfortable ride, good fuel economy, good road holding and easily copes with motorway driving and steep hills....Hopefully the gearbox/loss of power issue was a one off as I'm already hooked on these cars.

Edited by GSJ

• 3 weeks later...

GSJ, welcome to the site and congrates on having a great car. How many miles does your car have on the clock? I suspect the one off issue is of no real concern and probably won't happen again. But do keep post on this if it does.

Hi Estate Man

Yes I think just a one off.  My Citigo only has just over 5k on it....I'm still very impressed with it and all the extras and still drive it at any excuse....don't like getting it dirty though - specially all the rain we're unfortunately having at the moment!

Hello Ryn, you are quite right to get the car checked as you have done. But I would not be too concerned at this stage that you have had an 'incident' with your cars gearbox, or that no fault has been found with the car. With just 105 miles on the clock at the time of the fault, I would bet it's just a case of a sticky solenoid or the fact the whole transmission linkages are very taught and not run in yet. This can cause false info to be posted back to the ecu causing some electrical knicker twisting. I think that's what you probably experienced. This won't show up with any fault codes either as in fact there is nothing really wrong, except, everything is a bit tight still causing electro mechanical misalignment with all the sensors. It's something I've come across with some commercial vehicles with the same system a few short years ago. Do keep posting on this though. Good luck.

I agree with Estate Man's post above.  The ASG gearbox is the same in principle as that used by Smart in their cars (my previous Smart Roadsters has these boxes).  Basically, ASG is an automated, or robotised, manual gearbox with a clutch actuator that operates the clutch and another motor operating the gears.  They are generally very reliable, although they do take some getting used to.  There are a number of reasons why the OP had these problems.  I'm guessing a sticky actuator (it's very new, so this is possible) or a gear position sensor.  Sometimes, a glitch in the ECU can cause problems, which is why it appears that restarting the engine could have solved the problem.

You might find that the problem will lessen over time as the system beds in.

Dave

I agree with Estate Man's post above.  The ASG gearbox is the same in principle as that used by Smart in their cars (my previous Smart Roadsters has these boxes).  Basically, ASG is an automated, or robotised, manual gearbox with a clutch actuator that operates the clutch and another motor operating the gears.  They are generally very reliable, although they do take some getting used to.  There are a number of reasons why the OP had these problems.  I'm guessing a sticky actuator (it's very new, so this is possible) or a gear position sensor.  Sometimes, a glitch in the ECU can cause problems, which is why it appears that restarting the engine could have solved the problem.

You might find that the problem will lessen over time as the system beds in.

Dave

Thanks Dave for this info on the ASG box - most re assuring. 

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone

How did this work out for everyone in the end?

I purchased a Citi go in April 2014 and have had problem after problem.

I am now having to go down legal routes of rejecting the car, and would like a folder of other peoples problems with the same car (Citigo with ASG) to prove that it isnt a one off. Skoda technical have told me they haven't heard of the problems before. although quite clearly many of you have gone down a smillar route, so they are lying or ignoring dangerous faults with the car.

I hope many of you solved issues with the car and any response would be much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Interesting I purchased a CitiGo automatic this January 2017 and am encountering this problem. The dealers brought it in, couldn't find a problem although it did refuse to move from 1 to 2 when out on a test drive. They took the car in and rebooted the computer on the gearbox (Got car back on Saturday) and everything seemed well until yesterday when I moved from reverse through neutral to drive and the car wouldn't move out of 1. I had to pull up, turn off the engine, start it up and everything was fine. Skoda must know of this problem, yet they appear to be doing little to solve it. Don't think I will be buying a Skoda again.

Edited by MaggieM