Cabs been writen off

After jus a year, my 1.9PD Superb's be written of buy another one of our drivers pulling out on me at a junction. It was a 2008 57 plate car which they are offering £4,950 back. As this is the last year of Mk1s I'm having trouble finding many for sale under 5 years old and most seem to be 2.0PDs. From memory there was a problem with these engines oil pump, is that the case for even late cars or was it resolved on them?

£500 more than I paid for it last January but I knocked them down on the price as it had been flooded and no interior lights and wing mirror LEDs were not working. I dried it out and fixed about 5 nodes and removed the bungs and it been fine since.

Problem is getting hold of another one for the money, only seen 1 1.9PD and it was £6,500 and in Ireland.

here are some pics of the damage, the repair shop have quoted £4,800 to the Insurance company to put it right.

damagefromside_zpsb0eba384.jpg

damagefromfront_zps7ae6d48f.jpg

closer pic of front wheel, top arms are bent, which is pulling top of the wheel in. I nearly got around the car that pulled out so not full impact on the front of the car so I would not have thought there was major chassis damage.

damagefrontcloseup_zps7a0d3410.jpg

Hi Bryan, i'm guessing you'll probably need to get a car for work pretty quickly, maybe worth getting something else for a while with a chunk of the insurance money, and see if the insurance company would let you keep the car and fix it yourself?

With them quoting £4800 to fix it, would there be much damage behind the bodywork (other than the top arms you mentioned?) Is that something leaking, or just a bit of rain?

Others on here will be able to give you a better idea of second hand prices, but i would imagine the headlight might be the priciest bit as it'll need to be the Superb one, most of the panels/innards should be fairly common?

D

Why don't you let the insurance company write it off and then put it back on the road yourself. £4800 seems a lot for that repair if its panels and suspension only that are damaged. Surely it's worth more to you as a total loss car than if you replace it.

Water leak is from washer bottle.

Got a rental replacement car at their cost at the moment.

As a Taxi in our borough, the Superb is a 10 year car, so replacing it with another saloon car thats only liscensed for 8 years would mean Im loosing 2 years use of it after its paid for in Jan 2015. I value that at about £1,600 per year based on a £5,000 car repaying over 3 years, plus the maintenance I have in it with recent cambelt/water pump and other bits, I would be loosing out to the value of over £3,500.

Ive been in to see the assessor at Nationwide today to find out what is actualy damaged on the car with a view to getting it sorted by a friend and his father who do repairs. Its only bolt on part's that need replacing and is written off because they want to replace the whole of the nearside suspention with new genuine Skoda parts. My friends dad has been to look at it and is saying its a fairly easy repair and is saying about £1,500 maximum to get sorted, will need a wing, headlamp, wheel, both upper arms and possibly lower, front bumper and a few other bits including a new CV joint the be safe. May also need a rack and driveshaft, but he doubts it.

They say I can have the car for £1,733, which they would deduct from the payout. giving me nearly £3,300 to fix it which is a good option I think, even if it needed a gerabox.

Water leak is from washer bottle.

Got a rental replacement car at their cost at the moment.

As a Taxi in our borough, the Superb is a 10 year car, so replacing it with another saloon car thats only liscensed for 8 years would mean Im loosing 2 years use of it after its paid for in Jan 2015. I value that at about £1,600 per year based on a £5,000 car repaying over 3 years, plus the maintenance I have in it with recent cambelt/water pump and other bits, I would be loosing out to the value of over £3,500.

Ive been in to see the assessor at Nationwide today to find out what is actualy damaged on the car with a view to getting it sorted by a friend and his father who do repairs. Its only bolt on part's that need replacing and is written off because they want to replace the whole of the nearside suspention with new genuine Skoda parts. My friends dad has been to look at it and is saying its a fairly easy repair and is saying about £1,500 maximum to get sorted, will need a wing, headlamp, wheel, both upper arms and possibly lower, front bumper and a few other bits including a new CV joint the be safe. May also need a rack and driveshaft, but he doubts it.

They say I can have the car for £1,733, which they would deduct from the payout. giving me nearly £3,300 to fix it which is a good option I think, even if it needed a gerabox.

I'm not a Superb fan-boy, it's just a car and a fairly ugly one at that, so this decision comes down to financials. However, I'd say you just made your own case right there.

Yep, as a taxi I can use for another 5 years, it has a value to me of about £8,000 or £1,600 per year.

Well assuming there's no nasty surprises with repairing it, all should be well. I know you've done your homework but getting a trained eye to have a look at the car before you buy it back should set your mind at rest.

No, Ive checked with everyone and its all ok. Another Taxi has just gone back on after a similar situation, think its only Cat Ds. It just needs another MOT and its done, only had one 2 weeks ago.

what are the miles?

Is the car a reliable car for you. if you consider it a good repaired car once done?

Looking at the damage it's not all that bad.

Ok the issues are the suspension this is not an issue as such but you would be wise to have it alinement checked to see how much it's moved by..

In general you will be supprised to find alot of the smaller parts have taken the impact and in real terms you should be ok..

Inner wing hmm there is a risk the inner wing has been abit damaged but any issues will and can be dressed out.

The door is stronger than you think, it will have shunted along at kissed the passenger door behind but at worse it would have cracked the paint.

The good news is that Mk1 parts are cheaper and more available as such..

your looking at

wing

bumper ( I could save that bumper )

Light

Suspension parts like drop down links, I would change the shock anyway ( pair do both )

Inner wing repair

Inner wheel arch liner

Redress the door ( if not find a scrap one from the yard ) Sell your old door, ebay amazes me what crap people buy

Aline ment check

there will be a host of small plastic parts that will be damaged.

NEW WHEEL I am old school having stuided metal at College at HNC level the metal in there has taken a knock and as a taxi you don't want the greif.

bin it get a spare.

Ask the insurance company how much to buy back the salvage prob £750 - 1000 at best

Will your friend's dad be able to get the suspension aligned correctly? The front suspension on these is a bit complex and necessitates the correct setting of the raised toe (whatever the hell that is, but I gather it's important and not everywhere can do it...)

I got a copy of the parts that the repair shop were preposing to replace and its pretty much the whole of the suspention on the left side as well as the wing (£129.32), bumper (£274.80) and the door (£348) at a total of £753.

All 4 of the suspention arms, shock, wheel bearing housing, bearing and hub, these parts alone come to £1120.

Then power steering at £1,053.

2 tie rods at £257

New Wheel and Tyre £327

Total of £4,002 and with a 12% deduction on RRP its £3,522 in parts alone.

Will get allignment checked either at Main Dealer or somewhere like Formula One if they can do it, as only half a mile from their workshop.

Should be started on this week so will post up as it goes.

Edited by bryan350lc

Spending £4K + to put a base model high mileage MKI Superb back on the road is crazy.

Personally I would be looking at breakers or eBay for everything other than the following bits:

All 4 of the suspention arms, shock,

2 tie rods at £257

My mate is saying £1,000 to £1,500 to put it right, as I have also spent money on it b4 the accident and it being a car I can use for a further 5 years which I value at £8,000, its worth far more to me than the book price of the car.

I would be looking at putting a furthe 180,000 miles on it in that time, so could be well over 300,000 miles buy the the loss in value being a Cat D would not rearly matter. We have had B5 Passats go to 350,000 plus with nothing more than new cam and followers, so the Superb has the petential to go to 10 years old, it's paid for in 2 years so I get 3 years use after costing only maintenance. Anythin big goes wrong I can just bin the car at very little loss and replace it.

Cars have to be under 5 years old when they are put on as a cab, yours would be too old to bring on.

We can only keep them on untill they are 8 years old or 10 years old for what they class as Limousine. which is normaly a bigger engine or body, which is how we got the Superb's for 10 years.

Car was collected from the Approved Body shop today and should now be at my mates workshop.

Edited by bryan350lc

• 2 weeks later...

Cars had all the suspention and hub carrier replaced, got a wing on it but the spraying is not finnished yet. They took it for a test drive and gearbox was ok, took it to have tracking done, so the mechanical side of it is done and is all ok.

As its a Taxi, it had to have another MOT b4 going back on, even though it was only done 2 weeks b4 accident, was done and passed today.

May be back to me this weekend.

Purely financial reasone for getting it back on the road, the car gets me 2 more years use than if I go and buy another 5 year old car, not many under 5 year old 1.9PD Superbs about now to buy.

Edited by bryan350lc