Time to Replace Brake Discs & Pads - Any Recommendations?

R-and-S

Hi,

As the title suggests it's time to replace the brake discs and pads on my 07 VRS and wondered if you guys have any recommendations.

I'm not really interested in upgrading to larger discs etc but possibly to a better quality disc/pad combination, has anybody tried this and was it worth the extra cost?

Steve

It largely depends on your driving style/needs. If you've been happy with OE then Bosch/Pagid are a safe bet, EBC/Ferodo DS aren't something I'd recommend personally (some people treat them as though they are the second coming of Christ, from the horror pics/stories I've seen of both brands I'm no longer a customer. Brembo are always a decent option if you fancy a change?

It largely depends on your driving style/needs. If you've been happy with OE then Bosch/Pagid are a safe bet, EBC/Ferodo DS aren't something I'd recommend personally (some people treat them as though they are the second coming of Christ, from the horror pics/stories I've seen of both brands I'm no longer a customer. Brembo are always a decent option if you fancy a change?

I've not been 100% happy with the OE but then they coming to the end of their life, was thinking about EBCs as I've used them on bikes and been very happy, never used them on cars, what's been the problem?

I started with them on bikes and they were good in the mid 00's but OE sintered pads caught up quickly. I then started using them in light cars, the results were OK. Put them on something with a bit more power and weight and it all went wrong even though they were a forum sponsor and claimed the product was suitable for the application, eventually they admitted as much and introduced a suitable compound. Since then (circa 05-7) I've seen the state of them after a few months in family cars (black stuff) and the occasional pad delimitation but I'm told this is less common now and I don't see that many cars - I made a point some years back that unless we share a bed or a sir name don't ask me to do your brakes though recently that seems to have been challenged by in laws who I have no wish to share either with.

Either way stick to Bosch, Pagid or OE, Tarox and Brembo are more money but whatever you do ignore groves/dimples, they make no positive improvement on a road going car driven within the legal limits, all they do is reduce the surface area along with clogging up over time and cause more agro than anything else. Before/after brake tests have shown as much, a bit like adding a K&N to a stock PD with before and after Dyno runs showing no real gains.

OEM Discs

Ferodo DS2500 pads

That is all.

No. Countless examples of them falling apart on cars that have never been on a track.

No. Countless examples of them falling apart on cars that have never been on a track.

Like most things sold in volume, they all have their fair share of 'horror stories'. I've run the above combo for several years without issues.

OP asked for 'any recommendations' IMHO the above combination is fit for recommendation.

Hallelujah, praise the lord ;)

Take it that's fronts. I'd say one hour, possibly two tops .Main problem is making sure that you get the caliper retainers in with no problem. I had one of mine helicoiled, and the engineering firm told me the type of layout on Fabie /polo etc lends itself to stripped threads . Caliper is held on with two 7mm allen bolts ,and disk ( on my 1.4) with one x head screw .Can't comment of rears ,as mine is drum on rear . But again ,the rear drum arrangement is simplest I've ever seen on many cars , and that's on over 45 years of DIY car work.

Edited by VWD

How many OE/Pagid/Bosch have you seen fail? I'm not saying it never happens but as a percentage of what's in use I'd put money on it being lower than Ferodo/EBC.

Ironically I have a set of sintered Forodo's to go on my bike next time round but unlike the car pads they (like EBC) seem to be able to make bike pads that work and stay together.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice/recommendations.

I've decided to go the Pagid route, a set of four discs and pads for £117 seems to be a good deal.

Steve

Job done all four discs and pads changed.

Although none of the pads were badly worn the rear discs were corroded on the inner faces, the fronts looked OK but were fitted with Ferrodo pads.

I'm surprised how much better the brakes are now, Pagid are a significant improvement.

Steve