Poor tyre wear

kgm

Car is just 2 years old, mileage only 9,400.

I am quite elderly. Driving has always been very local up and down the A40

averaging about 12 miles each trip and many more very local.

No motorway trips.

Serviced today at local Skoda dealer, and was shocked to learn that both Continental front tyres were barely at legal limit.

Is this an unusually low mileage for these to wear out so soon?

Car is just 2 years old, mileage only 9,400.

I am quite elderly. Driving has always been very local up and down the A40

averaging about 12 miles each trip and many more very local.

No motorway trips.

Serviced today at local Skoda dealer, and was shocked to learn that both Continental front tyres were barely at legal limit.

Is this an unusually low mileage for these to wear out so soon?

My 3.6 4x4 has covered 22,000 miles and will do at least another 2-3,000 on its' first set of Continentals at front, even more at the back.

I average 55 miles a day mostly A and M roads.

All depends on the journey's, I have been very impressed.

My diesel 170CR was worse at only 18-19,000 per set at front on similar Continentals.

at 18,000 in my 1.4 TSi , and 4mm+ on my front Conti's, almost 6mm on the rears.

Granted, the 1.4 is not putting a lot of weight over the front wheels, and I do drive smoothly, but still think this wear is perfectly acceptable

That doesn't sound right. Even my Porsche will do 10,000 miles on its rear tyres, 20k on the fronts.

Is the tyre wear even across the tyre, or more worn at one edge? If uneven then there is something wrong with your suspension/tracking.

As mentioned above, I would definitely look at wheel alignment. Before I bought my Octy and did a wheel alignment check, which was way out all over, it had eaten no fewer than 18 tyres in 3 years, from the invoices I got with it.

Continentals are rubbish. And I didn't get much better on some.

There's othing wrong with the Continental PremiumContact 2E 205/55/16 tyres fitted as standard to my GL Combi. After 47,200 miles I have between 2.5-3mm of tread remaining on the FRONT axle and 5-6mm on the rear axle.

This compares against approx 25,000 miles from the Michelin Energy Saver tyres fitted to my previous Superb, a 1.9Tdi hatchback.

Whilst these Contis have been excellent, I'm probably going to try the new Dunlop Blue Response tyres which appear more eco friendly than the current Contis. Ideally, I'd choose Michelin Energy Saver Plus tyres, however, our leasing company won't authorise this brand.

After 47,200 miles I have between 2.5-3mm of tread remaining on the FRONT axle and 5-6mm on the rear axle.

Awesome - you are heading for 50K miles + on the front tyres of a fwd diesel!

Have you fitted some weird anti-gravity device, which is actually keeping your tyres just above, but not actually on the road surface?( but still keeping you on the road)

The only other conclusion is you must be the smoothest accelerating, turning and braking driver in the world. 47,500 miles! - Kudos to you!

• Like 1

My 3.6 4x4 has covered 22,000 miles and will do at least another 2-3,000 on its' first set of Continentals at front, even more at the back.

I average 55 miles a day mostly A and M roads.

All depends on the journey's, I have been very impressed.

My diesel 170CR was worse at only 18-19,000 per set at front on similar Continentals.

Just my luck, got a puncture in the front and had to change the fronts the day I posted this. Tyre place confirmed rears have got plenty left. Also remarked that tread wear on fronts was very even saying that tracking check was unecessary (don't fix it if if isn't broke they said)/

Just my luck, got a puncture in the front and had to change the fronts the day I posted this. Tyre place confirmed rears have got plenty left. Also remarked that tread wear on fronts was very even saying that tracking check was unecessary (don't fix it if if isn't broke they said)/

Rotten luck mate. Did you stick with Contis?

Rotten luck mate. Did you stick with Contis?

Yes I did - the 5's and not the 3's and I must confess having done 300 miles over the weekend I would have to say they are quieter.

As mt driving is hardly ever stop/start twn driving as long as I get around 20K miles I'll be happy.

I wish I could get close to the wear some of you guys are getting - I've never previously been hard on tyres - except in an xr2 many many years ago. Previous car was a 2.5 ton land cruiser which after 45,000 miles still had 5mm of tread on the rears and the front pair got changed at 38,000.

The continentals were down to 2mm (and replaced) after 12,500 miles - even wear across both tyres and the rears have no more than 2.5mm left on them now (at just under 16,000 miles). Are the 18" ones a softer compound?

I've had Falken stuck on the fronts and the noise/wear/drip appears pretty good so far so I guess I will add another pair on the back in the next month or 2.

Car is mostly driven at a leisurely pace with just me sat in it.

Tyre longevity is usually at the expense of grip , we usually get around 16k out of the front tyres on the Superb , we are on our 5th set at 60k thanks in part to potholes I always put Eagle F1's on it

I have Conti's on my little Fabia and have been really impressed with the grip during the bad weather , I know they wont last long though

If i were doing so little mileage and no motorway use id go for a tyre giving good economy and tyre life something like the Falken ZE-914

Just had my Superb serviced and have been advised that all 4 tyres are at 4mm.

The rears are the original Conti's and the car has 18,500 on the clock. They'll see out over 20,000.

The fronts are Michelins and have less than 10,000 miles on them. I won't be replacing on a like-for-like basis.

I drive 85 miles/day in a straight line up the M3 and back. Tracking was checked after the Michelins were fitted as I'd hit a pot hole and destroyed a tyre just as the Conti's were coming to the end of their life.

So Conti's are out, so are Michelin's, any other suggestions?

Yes I did - the 5's and not the 3's and I must confess having done 300 miles over the weekend I would have to say they are quieter.

As mt driving is hardly ever stop/start twn driving as long as I get around 20K miles I'll be happy.

I changed my Conti 2s for Conti 5s all round after 18,000. I'm well pleased with them. Much quieter and my mpg has increased. I got a good tyre pressure gauge and keep pressures as recommended and tracking checked and slightly adjusted at wheel change. I'll be interested to see what I get from the Conti 5s . The noise sweet spot is around 55mph, but really not intrusive at 70-80. BTW have had my combi 4x4 just over a year and it just keeps getting better.

There's othing wrong with the Continental PremiumContact 2E 205/55/16 tyres fitted as standard to my GL Combi. After 47,200 miles I have between 2.5-3mm of tread remaining on the FRONT axle and 5-6mm on the rear axle.

Sure you didn't forget about a tyre change in the middle somewhere? The UTQG (treadwear rating) on those is the same as sport-contacts.

Very impressed with conties 20-30k miles sounds about right. I find that people who do lots of three point turns who sit in one place and rotate wheels while stationary get greater tyre wear. Instead of moving slowly and turning wheels gradually.

Damo

Thx for the Toyo idea. Was looking at them on Camskill's website yesterday. Good rating with the new tyre info that manufacturers now have to provide us with. Hankook also looked quite good.