Creaky front suspension

I have a June 2012 Octavia 1.6 TDI SE Plus. I have noticed that when I go over a speed hump, my front suspension (it may be just the right side) make a fairly noticeable noise. It is a sort of crunchy sound, although it doesn't sound too bad, I just wonder what it could be and if it signifies a problem that needs to fixed under warranty.

Mine does this since having both front lower arms replaced recently.

I've traced it to the lower rear bushing on the new arm......when it's a bit warmer I'll jack it up and try getting some GT85 or WD40 in there to quieten it.

WD40 will cure it for about a month each time.

In the US there was a recall on Golfs with the same chassis for an upgraded bush but we don't get it over here.

I replaced mine with Super-Pro bushes but the noise still comes back, so now I just spray a little WD40 on them every couple of months.

WD40 will cure it for about a month each time.

I was afraid of that.

Annoyingly, the old bushes were silent, but split and failed the MOT. I think the garage that replaced the arms used pattern parts, which probably doesn't help.

I thought I heard mine do the same the other day over some speed bumps and as normal taken very sensibly, only have just over 11000 miles ffs! Oh well it is in for service on Monday I will mention it.

Ours does it as well but it goes away in the rain. I've taken to spraying the bushes with some water resistant bike chain lubricant when it gets too annoying...

I checked this morning when I came in to work over a speed hump, and sure enough it did the creak sound, and it is definitely on the right hand side at the front.

the dealership I have bought it off have said to bring it in to have it looked under warranty. They have also said they will refurbish a scuffed alloy.

The problem comes when it passes an mot fine, the bushes are OK they just sit too close to the subframe so a dealer can't do much. I don't think Europe got the updated part like golf mk5's in the US. I did post a PDF link on here a while back showing the dealer recall/part change in the US.

WD40 is the cheapest option once a month in summer. Winter and wet weather you won't get the noise. A rise in temp sees them creaking like an old pirate ship.

• Like 1

My 1st 59 plate MK6 Golf GT TDi did this from the day I got it (4 months old) on speedhumps and did so until I gave it back at 3 years old, think the 2nd one (10 plate with 60k on the clock) that I had for a few weeks until giving up a company car altogether did it a bit too.....in fact think my 58 plate MK5 Golf Bluemotion did it as well.

Really shouldnt worry about it.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Do drop links cause a creak over speed bumps and a steep change in incline?

Mine does it worse when cold weather and today its 20 degrees where I am and it is better. I want to replace both wishbones as its driving me crazy. Tried WD40 only lasted a few days.

My car doesn't creak - it makes a rattly, clattering "bonkitty-bonk" sound instead of just "Thud!" when it hits a deep pothole.

I assume this is a wishbone bush, but what else might be worth checking and/or replacing while I am having the front dampers replaced during a forthcoming sevice and MOT?