Petrol vs Diesel?

t

Is that liquid Adblue?

Cos it's cheap as wee wee (it's a urea solution).

Haha, now that depends on who's wee wee.. Seriously though I was told by this guy that he was quoted £750 to get this dpf fluid put into a pug 407, was one of the reasons he then downgraded to an older pug which he then had converted to run on recycled cooking oil..

Edited by Gazman

The stuff PSA/Ford use isn't Adblue, its a cerium based additive and far more expensive. Mind you the £750 charge on the Pug would have included a complete replacement DPF for that money, not just an additive top-up.

Personally if I had a car with DPF problems I would just have the thing removed. They are still not an MOT failure and not likely to be for the foreseeable future.

• 1 year later...

In all these discussions i have never seen anyone consider performance when loaded, i would like to know how a car loaded say for a family holiday 5 occupants and a boot full of cases or with tools ( some of us have to multifunction our cars) would then compare Diesel vs petrol especially for A road overtaking.

Recent camping trip - 3 adults, 1 child, a full thule ranger 90 roof box, a boot full of camping gear including 2 tents - the car was so loaded down I wondered if we'd bottom out! Travelling at no more than 60 for a couple of hours to suffolk on mostly dual carriage way I got just shy of 50mpg from my Vrs TDi :) I was expecting far less.

In all these discussions i have never seen anyone consider performance when loaded, i would like to know how a car loaded say for a family holiday 5 occupants and a boot full of cases or with tools ( some of us have to multifunction our cars) would then compare Diesel vs petrol especially for A road overtaking.

Went to Download festival last year with 5 people in the car and all their camping gear for a long weekend. 70 mile trip, 50mpg average. You could feel the extra 400kg ish worth of people and gear, but it hardly made a difference, just with the large amount of torque on offer. Oh and it was nearly scraping  :p . I'd like to point out, I have a hatch and was rammed, but still comfortable.

Yep because that is a primary factor in buying a car, overtaking on an A road with 5 occupants and fully loaded :0 I give up sometimes, is there a minimum age on this forum ?

• Like 1

Just to add my little piece - I've owned a pd vRS and currently drive a tsi vRS. Both were initially standard and both were remapped. In my mind its really simple, the petrol is clearly nicer to drive, smoother, more refined and more fun. The diesel was very good, but felt slightly diluted, however mpg was better. Handling wise they both felt very similar until I began modding the tsi.

IMO, under 12-14k petrol, over that, diesel. Simples!

100% agree with this.  I have owned the same - pd Vrs and now a Tsi Vrs.  Came away from the diesel simply because of the endless DPF problems I got.

A 2.0 TSi vRS is notably quicker than a CR but does have to be revved a bit to really make it go like the clappers.

The CR feels fairly pokey at lower revs because of its torque output but runs out of puff when revved. Arguably more relaxing to drive at a cruise in higher gears though. The 170 CR vRS makes for an excellent motorway car.

If running cost s and depreciation arent a big deal to you absolutely the petrol is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep because that is a primary factor in buying a car, overtaking on an A road with 5 occupants and fully loaded :0 I give up sometimes, is there a minimum age on this forum ?

You obviously have a different life style to me but in my case it is a major consideration. As for minimum age the nature of your comment can only lead one to believe that you are the immature one.

Edited by Hazmatt

Here's my 2 cents worth. I have owned a 2.0TFSi and has had stage 1 remap, stage 2+ (exhaust etc) and the stage 3 (ko4 300+bhp)). I have had a lot of experience with this engine, i did put 140k on it before i sold it...

For a start whoever posted that video regarding the GTDvs GTI was absolutely pointless because unless they have equal bhp how can that be a comparison? Doesn't matter if it's a derv or a petrol......what does that prove??? If the derv had the same bhp there would be no trouncing....

A petrol vRS with just a remapp isn't that special unless it's stage 2+ onwards so whoever says it beats most things on the road hasn't driven a lot of hot hatches!

Yep, i bought a new VW Passat with a 2.0 diesel engine CR in 2013 after i sold my KO4'd vRS. I do have to say in standard form very boring and slow. However my plan was a stage 2 DPF delete/remapp which i did. It's actually quite an impressive engine for a diesel, in stage 2 form versus my stage 1 vRS petrol i can get to 100mph at the same point on the autobahn in Germany and i'm not kidding and i don't even have to rev it past 4k, the CR with the right tuning is quite quick and not to be ruled out, only if you plan to tune it.

My longterm mpg on the CR is 48mpg and the vRS was 28mpg

Edited by Micky 32