Key fob surprise

Locked my car yesterday via the remote and noticed I'd left my drivers window down, however found out that if I held my finger down on the locking icon the window closed itself. I remembered this being a feature on a Beemer I once had so was pleasantly surprised to see it also worked on my Octavia..

Top tip number 3, put the keys in your pocket and sit down at home. Wake up in the morning to find all of the windows down and a wet seat :giggle:

Tip No 4, not if you have rain sensing auto wipers cos the detector picks up the rain and shuts the windows for you

• Like 2

Top Tip number 5; if you warm the car up with second set of keys in, you can only lock the car with other set via the key-hole. When you return and unlock the car (again via keyhole), you will find that 1 time in 5 it only unlocks the drivers door, this rises to about 3 in 5 if you walk round to other side of the car carrying your two year old and try and put them in the back. If it's raining, the other doors will hardly ever unlock if you walk around the other side carrying a two year old, without first checking.

Edited by zacherynuk
  • Like 1

Top Tip number 5; if you warm the car up with second set of keys in, you can only lock the car with other set via the key-hole. When you return and unlock the car (again via keyhole), you will find that 1 time in 5 it only unlocks the drivers door, this rises to about 3 in 5 if you walk round to other side of the car carrying your two year old and try and put them in the back. If it's raining, the other doors will hardly ever unlock if you walk around the other side carrying a two year old, without first checking.

Top tip number 6 - if you warm your car up with the spare keys in, your insurance is most likely invalidated if some pikey smashes a window and nicks it

• Like 2

Tip No 4, not if you have rain sensing auto wipers cos the detector picks up the rain and shuts the windows for you

Top Tip No. 7: The rain sensor will only close the windows if its activated on the MFD (Skoda Superb).

Top tip number 6 - if you warm your car up with the spare keys in, your insurance is most likely invalidated if some pikey smashes a window and nicks it

My Insurance I have states car must be locked. The law says you can't run an engine untended on a public highway.

In my case the pikey would have to walk 10 meters up the drive after spotting the opportunity through the hedge, avoid getting spotted through the front windows and after succeeding in stealing the vehicle all they would accomplish would be to have a nicely warmed up car to ram into the electric bollards at the end of my drive with! :)

Top Tip No. 7: The rain sensor will only close the windows if its activated on the MFD (Skoda Superb).

Same on the Octy, both mine and the wifes Octavia's have auto wipers but don't put the windows up with a wet screen :thumbdown:

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I'd double check that policy mate - almost (if not) all insurers will invalidate for this. That said, your bollards do give a decent level of protection so it's unlikely to be an issue.

Did you sell those wheels in the end by the way? I picked up a couple very cheap but almost immediately buckled one of mine. That leaves me with just one spare and I'd rather have a couple........

Top tip no 8...I think. Hold down the boot unlock and the boot lid pops up. Only found it the other day while at the dealers and he was showing someone around a new octy. I said " oh that's a cool feature " he said yes you have it as well, to which I said " oh yeah I already knew that " and quickly scuttled off with a red face!

• Like 1

What's the difference between pressing the boot button and holding it?

I'm sure my boot pops open with a single press of the button?

Or do I have to hold it? If so what does a single press do!?

Single press just unlocks it, holding for a couple of seconds pops it up. If not touched after a few seconds the lock engages again, locked but not fully closed I think. Good feature though if you have your hands full and can't fiddle around for the pressure pad part for opening.

Single press just unlocks it, holding for a couple of seconds pops it up. If not touched after a few seconds the lock engages again, locked but not fully closed I think. Good feature though if you have your hands full and can't fiddle around for the pressure pad part for opening.

So ur saying if I keep hold of the boot button instead of just pressing once den it'll open all the way up on my 2009 octy hatch???

Tip 498576. For boot one I find it handy if getting stuff out of boot that will leave my hands full and a pain to set down to get key back out of pocket to lock car, if you get out of car lock it then go to boot hold the middle button on key fob to open it then put keys back in pocket soon as you close boot after your sorted (normally with elbow if arms full) it relocks itself with a beep and flash of indicators. :thumbup:

Another Top Tip: If you hold the door lock/unlock button down that is located on the centre console (near the hand brake) the windows also go up/down.

Only found this out the other day - knew about the key fob but not about the one on the centre console.

• Like 1

Same on the Octy, both mine and the wifes Octavia's have auto wipers but don't put the windows up with a wet screen :thumbdown:

It has to be activated via Maxidot but it definitely works - tested it with a water sprayer bottle. If you have a sunroof that closes too.

So ur saying if I keep hold of the boot button instead of just pressing once den it'll open all the way up on my 2009 octy hatch???

It doesn't open all the way.

Single press unlocks the boot but you still have to press the release pad on the boot lid.

Press and hold unlocks then makes a noise almost like an electric motor, the boot lid pops up about 2-3cm and you just lift without having to rumage around getting your hands dirty pressing the release pad.

Top Tip No 10 - If the car was locked when you opened the boot like this, then when you slam the boot shut the car locks again - so make sure you don't put the keys down on the boot floor!!

I was going to mention the boot trick - i.e. holding it down pops the boot open.

Is there a switch in the car to release the boot? Also what does the switch do on the drivers side, mid-pillar, by the seat belt do, does it disable the alarm?

The things I have discovered, no doubt most other people know this but they surprised me:

The lid of the jumbo box slides back and forth so you can adjust it as an arm rest, its can also be raised slightly and lock to adjust height. I use it all the time now.

Behind the seats (maybe just on the estate?) there is a compartment the length of the seats that can be opened, it would fit an umbrella or kids games consoles.

It doesn't open all the way.

Single press unlocks the boot but you still have to press the release pad on the boot lid.

Press and hold unlocks then makes a noise almost like an electric motor, the boot lid pops up about 2-3cm and you just lift without having to rumage around getting your hands dirty pressing the release pad.

Top Tip No 10 - If the car was locked when you opened the boot like this, then when you slam the boot shut the car locks again - so make sure you don't put the keys down on the boot floor!!

Depends on several things by the sound of it. If I "pop" mine, after 2 seconds you can hear the motor return and you still have to squeeze the release under the badge.

If you have an estate you can fit some springs that will open the tailgate all the way (be careful in low car-parks though). Sadly the glass area in the hatchback makes it far far too heavy to do. :( :(

Rain sensors / auto-close:

Not always activated. May be possible in MaxiDot (although not all seem to have it turned on in there at all), easily done with VCDS though;) ;)

Top Tip #1701:

Read the owners manual for more surprising things your car can do! ;) ;)

• Like 1

Top Tip #1701:

Read the owners manual for more surprising things your car can do! ;) ;)

Boooorrrring! :rofl: :rofl:

That way you miss out on the little delights of finding something new on your car after a year - like getting a new car again.

After 30 months and 27k miles I just discovered a little throttle activated button - press the throttle to the floor then press harder and there is what feels like a switch with a pretty stiff spring. Whether the DSG is in D, S or Manual/Tiptronic, pressing the throttle far enough to activate this button causes serious kickdown with red lining in every gear (probably! At 85 in 3rd and accelerating hard, I have to back off!!). Kickdown is activated in D or S with any rapid depression of the throttle but this works in all modes. I am sure I have activated it unknowingly when under hard acceleration but now I know it is there... :devil:

BTW - are there any "hidden" menus in the Bolero or the FL climatronic? The sort of thing where you push this button and that button together, hold for 10 seconds and a hidden menu appears?

Edited by eccleshill