Hi ! - new owner and Car is dead already ! please help : (

Hi there, so I bought a 2000 model 1.9 tdi Octavia last week - I paid £800 for it which was the most I could afford to spend, I bought it from a dealer near Epsom downs race course and he said it needed a new battery.

I drove it away from the garage after it was started with a jump pack, I was suspicious but I was under pressure to get a car sorted as I needed to get to work and had no transport to drive around viewing loads of cars.

Next morning after I got home the car would not start at all - just a very slow turning over of the starter motor but it wouldnt catch, so I bought a new battery on ebay and it was delivered the next day.

I was skeptical of the new battery because it seemed to be 2/3`s the size of the one that came with the car, however I charged it up and it started the car on several occassions - job done ! I thought.

I then left the car overnight again and went to start it again today but now it wont start, once again all I get is a slow turning over but no chug and no start up - the car is totally OEM that I can see, could I be experiencing a battery drain of some kind?

I have the battery back on charge now and I will try it again next morning but it will probably start with a freshly charged battery but still I cant leave home knowing it has failed to start when left over night because I can see its going to leave me stranded somewhere.

Any ideas please? what would you check first ??

Thanks

Rob

If it was just a new battery needed, why didn't the dealer just fit a new battery before selling?

I hope it's nothing more serious but the new battery doesn't sound right either if it's a different size?

Are you with the AA or anyone to get them out if it goes wrong?

If it was just a new battery needed, why didn't the dealer just fit a new battery before selling?

I hope it's nothing more serious but the new battery doesn't sound right either if it's a different size?

Are you with the AA or anyone to get them out if it goes wrong?

Hi, thanks for responding - yeh it looks like I have been totally ripped off, I am with the AA but ideally want to be able to sort the car so that I dont need roadside assistance - what would you check next in terms of fault finding? thanks

Sounds like your alternator isn't charging the battery. Had something similar happen to my Father-in-law's Octy last year, with similar results. Best thing to do is find someone with a multimeter and measure the voltage across the battery when the car is turned off (should be around the 12V mark). Repeat the test when the car is running and if the voltage shows less than 14V, then the alternator isn't charging the car.

Sounds like maybe battery is too small to start with, but maybe an alternator issue too

1st thing to do would be to check the required battery size.

If you post up on here what type of battery you've bought I'm sure someone will be able to tell you if its right type, probably already mentioned in an existing thread

That issue dealt with, testing alternator charge would be next

Doesn't sound at this stage like a dead car

tbh at 800, not surprised a dealer (or any seller) would want to put a new battery in

thanks guys , here is the battery I bought -

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

I have a mate with an altimeter coming round on satday so I will do that check then, thanks for your help

Do Octavias really use the same battery as Felicias and Favorits?

As Pitbull69 says, take it to Halfrauds and get it tested

This is info you might need; it's not an opinion on the problem until/unless you have a proven good and right capacity battery.

Just in case it's not the battery, the alternator has a sprague clutch in the drive pulley, and this has been known to fail so you can have a good alternator with no drive, which gives the same symptoms as a duff alternator.

It's worth using Eurocarparts online. Type in your reg & suitable batteries will come up, & if you use BRISK25 in the promotion code box you'll get 25% off too.

It's worth using Eurocarparts online. Type in your reg & suitable batteries will come up, & if you use BRISK25 in the promotion code box you'll get 25% off too.

Doh! Just 20 minutes too late. I forgot about this, too :doh: