Newbie questions

MarieK

Bear in mind that I can't offer the benefit of experience as I don't even own a Yeti yet.

If you'll permit me to ramble aloud, these are my thoughts:

I found the 'leather' to be so hard, uncomfortable, and poor wearing, that I had no hesitation in speccing up a 'lower' model. SE+ would have made a lot of sense, but not available with fold-flat front seat, so went with SE.

Can only go with technical spec / reviews but seems to me that Amundsen has lesser audio performance than Bolero/Columbus but user interface is apparently a joy of joys. Do you rate ease of use above audio performance?

Sorry, I don't really 'know' - these are just my (mis-guided?) opinions.

I'm sticking with SE-standard Bolero & will use Nokia Drive on smartphone (bluetoothed to Bolero for nav), but wouldn't be too unhappy with Amundsen as standard on SE+. No way would I pay the huge premium for Columbus.

I've had no problems with the leather seating in the Elegance, looks nice and no sign of any wear in the 2 years I've owned it and comfort is just fine. Just my opinion for what it's worth!

+1

for the Elegance, by the time you get anywhere near the same level of equipment on any lesser model you will appreciate what good value the package is.

The leather is durable and comfortable and the heated seats are very comfy. The Bolero is a good head unit and will do well.

The mdi is available but the system for ordering is poor.

Just remember you get nearly nothing of options money back come selling time. But you will get it back on a no option Elegance. The leather is fine. Lasts and wears well and I found it comfortable in 37 degree south of France and minus X winter UK.

As to the sat nav: the Amundsen is very basic and I've yet to read a test where it was not one of the biggest moans due to being slow and archiac in its functioning. The Columbus in contrast is one of THE best sat navs out there and in most tests are normally praised. But best of these two is the money in the bank and a TomTom on your windscreen. :-) You said yourself there are few roads around you to get lost in.

So in my book: get an Elegance with no sat nav and a 12 speaker audio (I have that and it is good - not excellent as my BOSE in my Audi was, merely good. So heaven knows what the standard system sounds like...)

• Like 2

I wouldn't want to disagree with any of the above views, as people do tend to get protective about their own choices.

What I should have mentioned is that my choice is based on being early retired, having a low annual mileage, & intending to keep mine for a long time. If I were intending to trade-up in 3 years, I wouldn't have bought anything other than the Elegance - no brainer.

Just saw your recent post pop up re extra speakers. I understand that young people might enjoy a superior aural experience. I doubt whether my ears will tell the difference but I have ordered the extra speakers as, as far as I understand, it also offers a pre-amp & unlocks options on the HU. These options include graphic equaliser (I prob won't use this, as I like things left flat) + also offers surround sound optimisation (driver only / front occupants only / front & rear passengers) (which I expect to use loads)

Edited by Skoda Al Coda
  • Like 1

I don't think you can order a 1.2 Tsi Yeti with the Panoramic sunroof AND spare wheel. Apparently it is due to weight and CO2 outputs, the weight of both options would put the 1.2 Tsi into a higher tax rating.

I have a 1.2 manual with sunroof and spare wheel so it must just be the dsg this applies to

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Just remember you get nearly nothing of options money back come selling time. But you will get it back on a no option Elegance. The leather is fine. Lasts and wears well and I found it comfortable in 37 degree south of France and minus X winter UK.

As to the sat nav: the Amundsen is very basic and I've yet to read a test where it was not one of the biggest moans due to being slow and archiac in its functioning. The Columbus in contrast is one of THE best sat navs out there and in most tests are normally praised. But best of these two is the money in the bank and a TomTom on your windscreen. :-) You said yourself there are few roads around you to get lost in.

So in my book: get an Elegance with no sat nav and a 12 speaker audio (I have that and it is good - not excellent as my BOSE in my Audi was, merely good. So heaven knows what the standard system sounds like...)

Ok I hear you all. Think I should go with this option. Elegance with no sat nav, 12 speaker audio, sunroof, heated windscreen, spare wheel.

I'm told it is very good, additional amps and better speakers are well regarded. I've been happy with the standard fit-only because I don't have Hi fi reception equipment.

Not in the least criticising 900000's choice, but the standard system in the Elegance isn't bad - in fact, I've even had a compliment from an orchestra player about how good it is. But then I would not choose to spend much on upgrading speakers when listening to audio in a car is such a sub-optimal listening experience. It all depends what you want.

• Like 2

Ok I hear you all. Think I should go with this option. Elegance with no sat nav, 12 speaker audio, sunroof, heated windscreen, spare wheel.

I might be slightly biased, but that's a good option list. I wasn't fussed about the sunroof (mainly as I didn't have the budget for it) but would have liked the upgraded sound system. I did get the heated screen and the spare wheel (and used it the day after fitting my winter wheels as one picked up a puncture).

I'm told it is very good, additional amps and better speakers are well regarded. I've been happy with the standard fit-only because I don't have Hi fi reception equipment.

Ditto. Far better audio than in my previous Freelander.

(but I do wear a hearing aid now)

I should add that the standard speakers with the Bolero are very good, and go quite loud without any distortion. I'm not unhappy with their performance by any means. In fact I've found myself listening to music much more than I expected to (normally I listen to podcasts, audio books and R4 extra downloads) because it sounds so much better than the setup in my previous Mk 1 Octavia - but good music can always be improved by a better sound system :happy:

Oh what about the MDI...is it a yeah or nay?

You're winding us up now :wonder:

Course you want it - ha'peth of tar & all that. There was a time when I could / had to compress all my music down to <30gb, but these days I enjoy the benefit of lossless formats on an ipod classic & my music collection is > 100gb.

OK, I'm being flippant, but £175 is not a lot on a new Elegance - spoil yourself!

I'm glad the standard speakers are good - I had the radio off in my test drive in 2010 so should really not comment should I!. :-) I was perhaps more disappointed with my Yeti's optional 12 speaker system being far inferior to the BOSE I had had in my Audi... Than with what the standard Yeti system is like.

So then I'd say: Elegance, no sat nav, sunroof, heated windscreen, tyre pressure monitor (it's cheap) and a spare. :-)

Oh what about the MDI...is it a yeah or nay?

Have this as standard on our Fabia Monte Carlo with a USB lead and memory stick. Simple and works well but unless your really into music I wouldn't have paid for it as an option.

TP

rockhopper has that combination and with the 'wood' dash, which looks very nice but I played it safe and went with the onyx. Someone once told me light body colour darker interior and vise versa and for me I think they were right.

TP