Horrible noise from engine

Hi guys, I don't know if anyone can help, but I've got a horrible noise from my engine which gets worse when accelerating.

The only way I can describe the noise is like a tapping... I've noticed it since I got the car in December, but it's recently had an oil change and (whether it's just me or not) I think it's got worse. I now use a premium 5w 40 oil if that helps.

I think had exactly the same tapping noise at the beginning of last year. Does it increase linearly with the speed of the car? From what I can remember, mine tapped continually while my foot was on the accelerator.

Mine started a few weeks after I'd hit a kerb at 40. It was due an MOT so I just put it through and told them about it. Got the car back the same day, with them noting that everything was good except a cracked front suspension bush (probably from the collision with the kerb).

The knocking was still there, so I took it to 3 different garages none of them found a thing. Couple of my mates had a look & came to the same conclusion. Then, after about a month of bouncing about and not finding anything wrong my oil light started flashing. Stopped straight away & checked the oil. The level was perfect, so I started the car (schoolboy) drove about 200m and the engine seized. After ripping the engine out, the boy said he thinks the oil pump was fine & there was no blockages anywhere. So no idea what caused it.

Bit of a horror story with no real help for you, but I'd take the tapping seriously. I'm still not convinced that the pump was operating as it should.

At first listen I thought it sounded like a diesel should sound, then I realised yours is a petrol.

My mum had a rover years ago that suffered from piston slap and it sounded like a diesel, I noticed someone else above suggested this too. Isn't it a common fault on these engines? Is yours a high mileage one?

The oil change may have made everything else quieter so the noise seems worse, I don't think changing the oli would have done anything. If a garage did it make sure it's not overfilled or very low.

Here is an example on youtube of piston slap.

Edited by Dunkuk

Yeah I see what your saying, I done the service myself and oil level is fine. I've had a listen to the clip and that does unfortunately sound very similar :/ my engine has only done 80,000....

• 5 months later...

I apologise to bring the thread back up, but ive been thinking again :L im pretty sure the noise I have is a tappet noise.

Has anyone got any experience with this? And has anyone got any experience with the tappet additive for oil? Thank yaaa

I still have the noise. Now that the weather is getting a little cooler I can hear it for the first 5 minutes of running, I have tried everything but it's still there.

DB.

Just a remote chance that your noise is an exhaust leak. Pinhole or manifold gasket up near the engine. Have a feel for a blow of air round the gasket and pipe work.

Nigel