Support the boot floor when spare is removed

cpa

The friend Weyland asked this interesting question, but not in a proper thread:

For those that have ordered a spare and then removed it, what did you do to support the boot floor when the wheel is removed?

I'm interested in question too, and the friend 90000 suggested me to create a new topic, so here it is...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the parts Kenny refers to are to fill the floorpan well/indentation & cover to return to full-size boot - not to support false floor.

You can use the original spare wheel floor, it you lift the rear seats a smidge then the centre seat holds the carpet.

There is a very small amount of flex over the empty wheel well

You can use the original spare wheel floor, it you lift the rear seats a smidge then the centre seat holds the carpet.

There is a very small amount of flex over the empty wheel well

But if you have removed all the polystyrene boxes as well, it would have no support.

So you need, to do it properly, the filler and the boot floor, like the ones I have in storage. :rofl:

I didn't bother changing over this winter. My full size spare wheel is still in storage, but I think I might put it in the car, as I'm going to Weston tomorrow for a couple of days.

I forgot that I had already removed the large polystyrene boxes

Its just the filler you don't need, you can re-use the spare wheel carpet flush with the steel floor.

I only carry the spare on holidays also.

Thanks for the info guys (and thanks CPA for reposting). Tempted to add a spare wheel to my order if it is easy and cheap enough to remove.

About 10 mins to remove and put the other stuff in.

Most of that is carrying it from the shed to he car :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 months later...

I have ordered a 1.2 TSI SE Plus with spare wheel, due for delivery next month. I have never seen a picture or diagram of the boot with spare wheel. Do you lose a lot of storage space and flexibility? Should not be a show stopper for us wrinklies as we don't do anything adventurous these (twilight) days, but I'd like to know what to expect.

With the spare wheel, the boot floor is level with the sill. Boot capacity drops by 100 litres to 315. Folding the rear seats makes a flat loading area.

Andy

Edited by AndyC
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have a 6 yr. old 1.2 Yeti Elegance. I was surprised when I found  that it had no spare wheel, just a tin of compressed gunge ! I eventually bought a 'spacesaver' wheel, but have had to carry it around on the boot 'floor'...I have just parked next to a Yeti owner, and as we were comparing models, he asked why I had my 'spacesaver' wheel just sat on the boot floor...he said that I need not put up with that any longer ( bet he though I was a bit dim ) because he took me over to his boot, and it had a RAISED foam fitted floor that allowed depth for a 'spacesaver' wheel, which he had sitting their out of the way. He said that all I had to do was to purchase this heightened foam floor which would simply raise my floor up, and 'job done' ! He was baffled why I hadn't found out that this raised foam floor was avilable to purchase, and hence, stow away my spacesaver wheel !!  Maybe I did feel a bit 'green', he said 'they' will know the propper name for this raised foam floor for the wheel to drop into, and off he went...I stood staring at my boot, and it just sounded to simple to discard the present box, drop in a new one with more depth, and job done in 10 minutes !  AM I GREEN ?  Doesn't it prevent the rear seats being brought down 'flat' ? Although I don't have them in at present, so I can have plenty of room for my 3 large dogs.   Regards  Yani. ( ex Burgundy Boy )

Thank you KENFOWLER 3966... I can't get too technical for the understanding of most Briskodians !! lol   I have just been to the car, the wheel is a TRUE 'spacesaver' wheel.  All I can say is that it's diameter is 64cms. it's and it's depth ( up to the most elevated circular area just outside of the wheel nut holes )  is 13cms.  I do not know what you say by 16".  I bought this spacesaver wheel from a local 'breakers' firm..it was unused. To settle my worries, they jacked a corner of my Yeti up,, and fitted the spacesaver wheel, let my car down on to it, and it appeared to be what it should be..  As  for legal requirements, if I took my car for it's next M.O.T. ..IF, just IF the wheel did not conform in some way, surely if I removeed it from the boot, and  presented my car as I bought it ( just a can of gunge to seal a puncture ) then surely, this would be as the car was sold NEW to me ?   Yes, ?  No, ?  So I wouldn't be contraveneing requirements...just to add, in 6 yrs. I have only done 30.000mls. only drive locally, never go near a motorway, and would be at my tyre dealer within about 20 minutes or less. 

P.S.  Just to add, the gentleman that I mentioned earlier, who was parked next to MY Yeti, with his next to it, looked at the wheel, looked under my floor mat, said that the foam tool tray comes out, ..'higher' foam floor support dropped in, spacesaver wheel drops in ( there is central 'fitting' on show), which he said, would be where to secure the spacesaver wheel to.  He seemed no novice on the Yeti..by far... Regards  David.

its a std size/type of 16" treaded tyre (not like some spacesavers) but fitted to a steel  wheel with markings /warning of not to driven in excess of 50mph I believe,different countries vary,it is described in the handbook as(temporary spare wheel)

Thank you Sad555..   just been out again to look at the wheel..and yes, it has 2 warnings...on the black metal wheel...and. as you say....not to be driven above 80 kms.....or 50 mph.   I feel reasonably assured thanks to all contributors,..  all I need now is this deeper foam wheel-well, that was shown to me earlier today, when I parked next to another Yeti owner, who had done this 'simple' modification to his Yeti in 10 minutes .. Cheers.. Davide.  ps.  Iv'e scoured E-bay, Amazon...da de da de da, to locate one of these deeper wheel-wells..obviously trying to avoid a ridiculous price at a V.A.G. Dealership...cannot locate one.

You probably have 17" wheels fitted to your car, the markings on the tyre sidewall will tell you. The spare in the Yeti is referred to as a spacesaver and has the restrictions on it because it is a different size to those normally fitted( 205/55 R 16 if I remember correctly). I have a spare in my car, there is a different boot floor, different polystyrene mouldings to fit around the wheel, a big central plastic bolt and nut to hold the wheel down and a polystyrene moulding to fit inside the wheel to hold things like the jack and wheel brace sot he gentleman you referred to is correct. You should be able to go into a dealer and purchase the entire kit from them if you are feeling flush.

Ian.

P.S. Just seen your post come up so ignore this if you want.

Edited by countryboy

Why not have a look at this:-

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/yeti-spare-wheel-tool-kit-fwd-2010-2017-50321

Or try Gumtree, on a quick look there seems to be a few spare wheels on there and you just need to find the raised floor and polystyrene mouldings.

Ian

Edited by countryboy

Thank you for your information Countryboy.... I was actually given unused tools ( jack etc; etc; ) by the dismantlers who sold me the wheel..I know them & they know me from a couple of previous visits for parts to an Octavia that got damaged by one of my Alsations ( she 'got' into the front, and rested her paws on the air-vents, breaking a ferw 'fins', so was quickly fixed up by them for that. Much prefer my Yeti to me previous: Fabia, Octavia Estate.  :)

Thank you so much for that 'link', Countryboy !   You experienced Briscodians never cease to amaze me, for your knowledge and such speedy help... well done to you all, and thank you for your help.    Davide.  ( yani )

1 hour ago, yani said:

Thank you KENFOWLER 3966... I can't get too technical for the understanding of most Briskodians !! lol   I have just been to the car, the wheel is a TRUE 'spacesaver' wheel.  All I can say is that it's diameter is 64cms. it's and it's depth ( up to the most elevated circular area just outside of the wheel nut holes )  is 13cms.  I do not know what you say by 16".  I bought this spacesaver wheel from a local 'breakers' firm..it was unused. To settle my worries, they jacked a corner of my Yeti up,, and fitted the spacesaver wheel, let my car down on to it, and it appeared to be what it should be..  As  for legal requirements, if I took my car for it's next M.O.T. ..IF, just IF the wheel did not conform in some way, surely if I removeed it from the boot, and  presented my car as I bought it ( just a can of gunge to seal a puncture ) then surely, this would be as the car was sold NEW to me ?   Yes, ?  No, ?  So I wouldn't be contraveneing requirements...just to add, in 6 yrs. I have only done 30.000mls. only drive locally, never go near a motorway, and would be at my tyre dealer within about 20 minutes or less. 

It sounds like the wheel you bought is a wheel with a very narrow tyre and I'm sorry to say is illegal to use on your car. It is not fitted with a tyre that does has the correct weight bearing capacity for the Yeti, and the Yeti is not designed for it's use and has not been Type Approved for it's fitment. The fact that it fits does not matter, and spare wheels are not subject to the MOT test. If you used it even for a short distance you would be in contravention of your Insurance and could potentially be prosecuted and have your car destroyed.

Please look at the size stated on your current "spare" and tell us what it says on the tyre and we can then confirm whether it is legal or not?