06 Black Magic VRS

Fear

Wheel update is that they are getting picked up on Tuesday at midday :) need to decide on tyres now tho! Will be sat on them potentially next Thursday, but might end up the week after!

Less exciting updates include replacing some boot trim that was scratched up for some that was slightly less scratches, trying to reduce rattles from boot area, removing cd changer and cleaning boot carpet. Oh and trying to find what is knocking in the front end!!! Its driving me insane!!!!!!!

After the wheels it will be saving for the little alpine sub and some sound deadening to make the most of the speakers. I know they are only cheap but for sake of £20-30 can get them sounding even better and still keep costs down.

Then the saving will begin again for an ebay cai and better filter and re map!

• 4 weeks later...

Small updates:

Tyres have been ordered and should be here tomorrow :) Didnt get to pick the wheels up before we went away last week so will be picking them up hopefully at the end of the week if i can get down there :)

Had to replace drivers window regulator today, all went swimmingly which i was very pleased and surprised about!

Then i set about trying to find my damn knocking noise up front!!!!!!!

After reading that rad mounts can come loose i found mine to be exactly that! So got the front bumper off and couldnt really find an easy way to sort them other than waking on a couple of cable ties. So little job done. But i knew that the knocking was not this as it wasnt the right noise or making the noise at the right times.

I was pretty sure that the ARB was the culprit, even after new clamps superpro bushes, drop links!!! So i thought i would try and take the droplinks off and cable tie the ARB out of the way to see if any different.

Went to undo the drivers side bottom nut and then realised that i may well have just stumbled upon the problem!!!

2013_117.jpg

The ARB is sat further towards the passenger side and so the nut is sat against the pancake pipe!

Quick phone call to the garage and popping up first thing in the morning for him to shift it over. Would have had a bash at it myself but couldnt really be bothered when i can get it done in the morning!

Nothing beats abit of roadside bodging:

2013_115.jpg

Hopefully next update will be wheel related :)

• Like 1

ARB moved over and knocking GONE :) :) :)

Makes such a difference as i was thinking of ditching the coilovers if it didn't work! So now cantvwait to get the rims on! Wash and wax today in anticipation :)

Well finally a wheel update!

Rubbish update tho, i dont like the colour or the finish :(

Went with a colour i thought might be something abit different! And its certainly that! Different in the respect that its horrid :(

Also i have never had powder coating done before but pretty sure its meant to give a better finish than ive got!

sam_0336.jpg

sam_0338.jpg

sam_0343.jpg

sam_0340.jpg

sam_0339.jpg

Pictures actually do them justice!

Still i think im decided that the design looks good, so will look at getting them wet sprayed on the fronts to a better colour. And with the price i paid with teh cost of that on top its still the same price as most re furbs.

It was a gamble, and i lost this time :(

Yeah pics do them alot of justice! Colour is really weird in some light!

They only owe me £200 at teh mo so even if i sell on shouldnt loose much!

Only done 20-30 miles on the Vreds so far but first opinions are very very good! Definatly quieter, What pressures you running pete?

Pete, thought it was meant to be abit more on the rear?

Skud, thanks mate. Yeah is a shame about the finish on the wheels. IM tempted to cut my losses with them and go a different route now as lost the love for them now :(

Will try a few different combinations out and see what feels best!

Although if the weather is nice tomorrow i think the spiders are going back on! Im just not feeling the R32 rims now :(

So im on the look out for something else, spent last couple of hours looking online for an option! Unfortunatly funds are very limited so does limit options some what!

Think im going to go back to looking for some BBS CH style wheels, some options are:

18_Inch_ZCW_Angel_Silver_Alloy_Wheels__PI_3350_120_120_970_970_464.jpg

20_Inch_Dare_NK_1_HS_Alloy_Wheels__PI_7236_0_0_998_998_600.jpg

3359.jpg

or just plain reps:

$(KGrHqV,!okE63(r2NcwBPDzz9CVVw~~60_12.JPG

Only thing im worried about is looking to aftermarket, so some other VAG options could include:

$(KGrHqJHJDYFFSIfDJPqBRZwJSrk,g~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!qUFEHV+pVTJBRc8iDN9ew~~60_58.JPG

Opinions, thoughts and suggestions welcome :)

Adam, if i can find a set of the audi's at teh right price then i think they might be a winner at the mo.

The TSWs are nice tho, but also liking the dares, but think they are abit bling for me!

Lloyd they are genuine OZ R32 rims so fitment and build quality wise they are perfect!

They cost me £150, but sold the 2 good pirellis off them for £100 and then £150 on sand blasting (which was apparently a right bitch because the original coating was a mare to get off, sign of good quality i guess) and then powder coating. So they only stand me at £250 max if you take into account petrol, tyre removing and stuff like that. Would probably get £200 maybe in there current finish.

Im going to ring round / pop into a few places about either wet spraying or another coat of powder coat in a bright silver or a gun metal. Powder coating again should be pretty cheap i think as thats the quick part of a refurb, its the sand blasting and prep that costs on refurbs i think. If i can find someone that will either spray them or PC them for sub £100 then i will probably do it as i think even if i then sell on they will be worth that much more.

Think i will swap them back with the spiders tomorrow, put them on ebay for a week and get some quotes for re spraying or coating and see what happens!

Would only have white on a set of split rims like LMs at a push, these in white would be too much i think!

You can have them for £200 tho Lloyd tho just because it would be bonkers to see a set of never used black spiders and a never used set of white R32s in white sat in your spare room!!!

For wheels, the BBS/Audi ones, definitely. But... if they're the ones I'm thinking of (RSII possibly) they only came in 17" / 5x100 or 18" / 5x112 so might be tricky if you want 18s. Think they're the only sizes I've seen them in - came on Audi A4 cabs and A6s I think. Actually, the A6 ones might have been 17" with balloon tyres but still 5x112...

What about old S3 whees?

Daveyboy, the Audi wheels are 8x18 5x100 et33, they came on MK1 TTs, almost a split rim version if golf anniversary wheels i think.

Ive put in a cheeky offer on them which has been accepted so i just need to have athink about logistics etc!

I think they look the best option i think, much better than the R32s!

I've the RSII's on my octy which i swapped from a MK1 TT which was traded in. With the offset and being lowered 30mm they rub on the rear wheel arch with 2 people in the back. I'm looking at the eibach rear camber kit to hopefully sort the issue. I think there maybe some pics in my gallery of them fitted.

Well that's my mind made up!!! Sorry to copy but they look awesome!

Funny you should say about rubbing i did think it might be abit close as it doesn't look like there is much room currently with the et38 R32s!

But i can always raise mine as on coilovers if needed.

I gotta admit they do look good and don't need spacers to fill out the arches. I've put some skoda badges over the Audi centre caps. Got them off eBay. Mine are in need of a good refurb as the Audi driver must have used the kerbs to steer! :S

I was wondering what to do about centre badges, was thinking bbs or Skoda. You got anymore pics?

Also how bad is the rubbing on the back? Is it metal arch or just abit on the plastic inner arch?