Octavia 3 sports suspension

Im definately getting old as all this talk of sports suspension sends shivers through my spine. Literally. I know i have a vrs but it feels so much softer than my msport bmw. I would actually pay more for comfort suspension but i admit cars do look better lower. Just not too low. I wouldnt dream of specifying harder suspension nowadays although around 800 quid for adjustable suspension sounds a bargain.

daft thing is a bmw 3 series on standard suspension would ride lower than a vrs.

bmw and audi generally seem to have a much smaller wheelarch gap than skoda. come to think of it so do most manufacturers. I really don't know why skoda do it as it just looks crap. even worse when they airbrush the gaps out on the brochure

I have found a road test which has photos of the test car with what appears to be a lower ride height- presumably as the test mule has sports suspension.

This is how they should ALL look like from the factory IMHO

skoda_zps14b82344.jpg

After enjoying my car with all it's toys for a couple of weeks I was beginning to think the low speed ride was a little harsh on poor surfaces, despair having the standard suspension. After all the comments of it looking as if it was on stilts I did check the rear suspension transport chocks were removed! Next step check the tire pressures, should be 2.2 bar, they were..... 3.2 bar!!! Pressures reduced hey presto low speed ride much improved!

• Like 1

After enjoying my car with all it's toys for a couple of weeks I was beginning to think the low speed ride was a little harsh on poor surfaces, despair having the standard suspension. After all the comments of it looking as if it was on stilts I did check the rear suspension transport chocks were removed! Next step check the tire pressures, should be 2.2 bar, they were..... 3.2 bar!!! Pressures reduced hey presto low speed ride much improved!

3.2 jeepers. Was that the dealer??

That's terrible, also dangerous as potentially it would of reduced the tyre surface in contact with the road due to over inflation. At least you found it before anything bad happened!!

right have got my new Elegance with sports suspension, and apart from the obvious difference of having 17 inch wheels compared to the Vrs 's 18's it looks very similar

Here is a pic of the elegance rear wheel area

elegarch_zps712fffe8.jpg

And here is a pic of the Vrs area

vrsarch_zps6f4f141f.jpg

Not a lot of difference.

The sports suspension is definitely hard though- I ran over a 10 pence piece and could tell whether it was heads or tails.

Cant understand why the pictures are showing as rotated- perhaps a mod could fix it?

Edited by carrock

Thanks for posting, very useful as there is a lot of confusion over the sports suspension. It's a bit of a concern if the ride quality is compromised. Is it really that harsh?

Not really it feels tight if that's the right word.

Doesn't feel wallowy at all

Prob feels harder that the vrs as it had done 130k

Still recommend it though. Ride is similar to a 320msport IMHO

Not really it feels tight if that's the right word.

Doesn't feel wallowy at all

Prob feels harder that the vrs as it had done 130k

Still recommend it though. Ride is similar to a 320msport IMHO

So the ride is shocking then. My msport on 17's was absolutely terrible. Worst ride of any car ive ever owned. The VRS is notably smoother.

certainly wouldn't describe it as terrible. feels a bit like an A5 courtesy car my wife had which had 20 inch wheels on.

No body roll, not uncomfortable, but probably not the car to drive along 50 miles of cobbled roads

certainly wouldn't describe it as terrible. feels a bit like an A5 courtesy car my wife had which had 20 inch wheels on.

No body roll, not uncomfortable, but probably not the car to drive along 50 miles of cobbled roads

I'd check your tyre pressures, I thought the ride was harsh on the standard suspension, then found they were overinflated by 1 bar!!!

I think what the sports suspension comes down to is choice.

It's not a standard suspension, it is in an option. If you want a firm ride, then tick the option of sports suspension. If you want a normal ride, you save the £150 and don't tick the option box.

I think for many the ride will not be suitable. I'm in the other (smaller) group where the firm ride is required. I have a Travel sick family, myself included. I've only ever had one car with a normal suspension, and we couldn't go anywhere without someone feeling sick!! It was a nightmare, I've always had firm suspension cars since and the sickness problem is massively improved (not cured I might add!!). The ride cannot be as bad as the civic type r with 19" wheels and 225/35/19 tyres I had!!! That was a VERY firm ride, but no one ever felt sick in it!! So it's a trade off for me!!! Firm suspension and travel sick pills please!! Lol.

• Like 2

So the ride is shocking then. My msport on 17's was absolutely terrible. Worst ride of any car ive ever owned. The VRS is notably smoother.

I can beat that - I had the last generation Honda Civic, about as reliable as a Morris Marina (towed away broken three times) but the ride in that car was unbelievably bad. I went from that pile of junk to a BMW 123d M Sport on 18" wheels which had a better ride!

I thought the ride on the standard suspension Octavia I drove was about right, but I wold have thought that sport suspension would be too hard and out of character for the car. Each to their own of course, but sports suspension is fine in a sporty or sports car - which I've spent far too much money on in recent years, even if I don't regret it.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 1

I think it is uprated springs and dampers - Eibach were the maker of the mk2 vrs units I think

At least on the vrs mk2 the optional lowering springs were indeed eibachs but the dampers were the factory standard ones. Not sure about if you ordered the sports suspension on the Elegance etc? Someone previously stated the mk3 sports suspension came with different dampers as well as springs on the mk3 but I'd like it confirmed somehow. :)

Never thought about car sickness as a reason for specifying sports suspension before but it makes sense in theory. Something learned for today. Im unfortunately in the other camp i.e the bad back camp. Maybe they should change the name of the suspension options to be more inline with medical requirements. I would specify the old farts suspension.

Actually your story if car sickness reminds me of a funny memory about a mate if mine. We were up town and were totally bloto. We ended up getting a run back home from another mate and the friend in question asked to stop the car. He hurridly opened the door and spewed his ringer in the gutter. Once he had composed himself and wiped his face he sighed and said......i always get car sick.

• Like 2

I know the car sick story seems a bit far fetched, but it seems true. I had a Nissan qashqai (don't ask), couldn't go anywhere in it as we all felt sick. There was nothing mechanically wrong just the ride to soft. Bring in my old car, merc c class with sports suspension and no car sickness!

• 4 months later...

I've had the combi know for only 48 hours with the sports suspension still on 17" wheels, so these are only my first impressions.

Visually it looks better, the 15mm drop make the wheel look like it fills the arch. It looks like my mkII vRS did.

Ride whilst I feel it's more comfortable than my vRS was, however the rear end clunks a bit when it goes over a pothole, but again is not worse than the vRS did. Whether is it down to the sports suspension or the torsion bar I don't know. I haven't had a clunk from the front, but I make just be steering round the potholes.

I've driven our three week old Combi elegance with sport suspension and 18" Golus 1200 km's, and so far I'm not too impressed with the handling. Whether or not this is a torsion beam issue or something else, I don't know. Let's say I'm driving on the motorway and over painted markings (excuse me for the lack of vocabulary) in a curve, and the rear wheels tend to "skip". As if the shock absorbers aren't responsive enough. I can feel the entire car sort of shifts sideways...

I haven't checked the tyre pressure, Maybe that is part of the issue... 

I've had my Octy since July (18" Golus & Sports Suspension).

Does not look anything like the photos in the brochure unless you put heavy concrete blocks in the front and rear to add enough weight to get those arches anywhere near the tyres!

Compared to the demo car I had for a week (same engine, 17" wheels with standard suspension) there is very little difference.

A bit harsher, not really any better in the corners.  Maybe 10-20% 'sportier' ride.

Would I tick the option again......no

I've had my Octy since July (18" Golus & Sports Suspension).

Does not look anything like the photos in the brochure unless you put heavy concrete blocks in the front and rear to add enough weight to get those arches anywhere near the tyres!

Compared to the demo car I had for a week (same engine, 17" wheels with standard suspension) there is very little difference.

A bit harsher, not really any better in the corners.  Maybe 10-20% 'sportier' ride.

Would I tick the option again......no

Maybe it needs to settle, also of note, check if the dealer removed the transport rubber profiles from your springs......on my mk2 they forgot to remove them.

My Octavia with sport suspension is without a doubt lower than standard ones.

Btw.....i have written in this thread about my dissatisfaction with , what I find, a horrible crashy  ride on sport suspension and 18 golus, so I ordered KW Street Comfort coilovers.

When I install, I will get back to you all with my impressions:)

Cheers!