Tyre Recommendations for 2010 VRS DSG 18"

If looking at £75-85 on Camskill it'll be another £10 each wheel for fitting. That takes you into Kumho KU39 and Hankook Ventus K115 territory which are decent if unremarkable.

However, £110 a corner should get you Goodyear Eagles fitted off BlackCircles? If on a budget, I found the Barum Bravuris 2's to be fine (National Tyres usually run an offer). The Barum's maybe aren't for full on VRS use but perfectly good for 'spirited' driving and making decent progress (but they do only last about 10k - at the price though, worth a consideration if budget is an issue)

Shouldn't need to spend £200 a tyre that's for sure!

• 2 months later...

A bit of [subjective] tyre opinion...

I have done a fair few miles in FL Octavia vRS estates and now I have actually bought one (instead of a company car) I have finally a choice over tyres!

I have used Dunlop Sport Maxx and was disappointed by their wet behaviour, especially poor resistance to aquaplaning. I was then moved onto Conti SportContact 2, which I went though a few of and the new privately owned one came with. I did a bit if research and the most useful test was Evo which tested a similar size on an Audi.

The Michelin Pilot Sport PS3 came out good for wet and was noted to be quiet and comfortable. Exactly what I am after with my vRS on family duties; ultimate dry grip isn't such a concern for my wife on trips to baby meets! So, I took the plunge and bought 4 at a good price from Micheldever Tyres.

I do appreciate that any new tyre is better than a worn out one, so I have tried to allow for that and think what all those Contis were like... Again, this is subjective, but I do think (compared to Conti SC2) the PS3 is quieter and certainly is significantly better on absorbing the roughness our aged roads dish out. The Conti  SC5 is out now and I have no experience of that. Hopefully all of this is of some use!

I have been sold on Michelin Pilots over a number of years on various cars.......had Pilots ,PS2s and now PS3s on a few cars. Very happy with the Michelin PS3s on the VRS now. I was impressed with the Conti SC2s that were on it and their longevity......it did make me stop and think.....but then Costco did their 20% off when you buy 4 Michelins....so this offer one this time. Still, might try Conti SC5s next time....

Surprisingly the one tyre I definitely wouldn't recommend was Goodyear Eagle F1........whihc seems to get very good press here. Mind you it was about 8 years ago....and I tried them as they were cheaper than the Michelins I was used to...so tried a change. Hated the way they felt on the car, and the only gave me about 75% of the miles the Michelins had given me.......went straight back to Michelin. Maybe just a bad experience.....but would be loath to make another expensive mistake!

I have been sold on Michelin Pilots over a number of years on various cars.......had Pilots ,PS2s and now PS3s on a few cars. Very happy with the Michelin PS3s on the VRS now. I was impressed with the Conti SC2s that were on it and their longevity......it did make me stop and think.....but then Costco did their 20% off when you buy 4 Michelins....so this offer one this time. Still, might try Conti SC5s next time....

Surprisingly the one tyre I definitely wouldn't recommend was Goodyear Eagle F1........whihc seems to get very good press here. Mind you it was about 8 years ago....and I tried them as they were cheaper than the Michelins I was used to...so tried a change. Hated the way they felt on the car, and the only gave me about 75% of the miles the Michelins had given me.......went straight back to Michelin. Maybe just a bad experience.....but would be loath to make another expensive mistake!

It's the F1 Asymmetric that people are recommending. I don't think they were out 8 years ago were they? Wouldn't it be the GSD3 with the V-shape tread you had?

It's the F1 Asymmetric that people are recommending. I don't think they were out 8 years ago were they? Wouldn't it be the GSD3 with the V-shape tread you had?

Think you and Johnny are getting confused over the Eagle F1 tyres. The Eagle F1 Asymmetric 1 tyre was not all that good, but the Asymmetric 2 tyres are fantastic

Think you and Johnny are getting confused over the Eagle F1 tyres. The Eagle F1 Asymmetric 1 tyre was not all that good, but the Asymmetric 2 tyres are fantastic

The assy 1 was brilliant, and the 2's are similarly good. The only aspect I can't comment on is wear because I never keep cars long enough to wear them out. Many people will say a tyre is rubbish if wear isn't great, but that's not really a concern for me. Both the assy 1 and 2's are great in all other respects.