TSI HT lead failure

weaver

Protected leads?

Yes, it's one of those funny things you find with those funny petrol engines, where they have to pipe a spark along a wire.  :giggle:

Has to be protected from the nasty air around it.

• 2 months later...

We have a skoda octavia 2011 1.2 dsg and last week RAC saved me after 3 hours and towed us to the garage. You guessed it ht lead 3 had burnt through and was replaced with a modified lead with the extra protection everyone has referred to. As out of warranty we paid £145.12 which was for a cable at £15.93 and the rest labour and diagnostics. This week we have broken down again same problem and rescued by RAC after 2 1/2 hours. This time ht lead 2 was damaged according to the diagnostics. This took Mr RAC man a couple of minutes to find the problem and not much longer to give us a temporary lead to get us to a garage. He said all 4 leads should have been replaced! Interesting on several fronts, firstly how quick he was versus the Skoda garage in Grimsby and his recommendation versus the garage. We have also spoken to Skoda and now wait their response. I work all week and do not want to spend my weekends waiting for RAC to save me. I dread to think how much this would have cost in call outs if I hadn't got cover with RAC. If this is a know issue, which it clearly is Skoda should own up and deal with this properly not just coming to deals with those of us that complain. Will keep you posted with how our complaint goes!

• Like 1

We have a skoda octavia 2011 1.2 dsg and last week RAC saved me after 3 hours and towed us to the garage. You guessed it ht lead 3 had burnt through and was replaced with a modified lead with the extra protection everyone has referred to. As out of warranty we paid £145.12 which was for a cable at £15.93 and the rest labour and diagnostics. This week we have broken down again same problem and rescued by RAC after 2 1/2 hours. This time ht lead 2 was damaged according to the diagnostics. This took Mr RAC man a couple of minutes to find the problem and not much longer to give us a temporary lead to get us to a garage. He said all 4 leads should have been replaced! Interesting on several fronts, firstly how quick he was versus the Skoda garage in Grimsby and his recommendation versus the garage. We have also spoken to Skoda and now wait their response. I work all week and do not want to spend my weekends waiting for RAC to save me. I dread to think how much this would have cost in call outs if I hadn't got cover with RAC. If this is a know issue, which it clearly is Skoda should own up and deal with this properly not just coming to deals with those of us that complain. Will keep you posted with how our complaint goes!

It will be interesting to hear what SUK have to say. It would have been a sensible precaution to replace all the leads with the extra protection.  This is clearly a design problem and a potentially dangerous one at that. There have been several breakdowns reported on this site.  My wife was stranded for hours on a remote country road a couple of years ago but it would have been a lot worse if it had happened on a motorway. In my view this should have been a recall issue. I now carry a spare set of leads just in case.  I feel the VW group is poor when I comes to admitting to such problems.  I love the Yeti but won't be buying another one because of this breakdown and concerns over DSG and timing chain issues in the long term. 

• 1 month later...

Well mine went this weekend (March 2010 / 35000 miles).

Initially thought it was a turbo problem (had a new one under warranty!) - but relieved to find just some new leads needed.

Car well out of warranty, but main dealer serviced -

Out of those who had the issue, did anyone get anywhere with Customer Services regarding a contribution ?

I dont mind replacing for a worn/broken part - but replacing it with a redesigned part that would have avoided the issue seems a bit steep !

• 7 months later...

My 1.2 TSI DSG is currently in the VW garage, we have lost use of the car now for 6 days (bank holiday weekend).

This is the second time it has happened, each being a real inconvenience. Now the garage won't replace the last remaining 2 leads under warranty but it wanted £50 each for them. I might modify them myself when I get it back, as this is a load of nonsense.

Edited by snowplay

• 1 month later...

We've joined this cosy little club!

Our 4 year old Roomster 1.2 TSI DSG, went into limp mode after stopping to fill up with petrol. Complete with EPC, TCS and Exhaust Control System lights. 

The car is out of warranty and we were quoted £335 inc. diagnostics fee and labour to fix a spark plug and leads - the highest quote so far! 

Not the greatest service from the dealer. The car will have been off the road for a week, they’ve had to send away for the parts, no courtesy car and what seems like a ridiculously pricey quote considering it’s a 30 minute job with inexpensive parts.

Don't think we were offered the chance of an extended warranty (possibly because we bought it as a demo car) but at £305 it seems a bargain considering all the stuff i've just read regarding dodgy DSG boxes etc. 

From what i gather, i should be pushing for Skoda to cover the cost of the whole bill, for something that is essentially a design fault and for putting our lives at risk?

Even if i manage to get them to change all the plugs and leads, the same thing could happen again in the near future?

The timing chain was also mentioned as being noisy - but this was an ‘advisory’.

We usually buy a Volkswagen as our 2nd car and were considering replacing the Roomster with the new Fabia.

Is it time we run a mile from this Roomster or Skoda in general?

• 3 weeks later...

Please get your timing chain sorted asap.

We are currently awaiting a £3000 bill for a replacement engine - absolutly no joy from SUK and now proud owners of a Honda. We will sell our 1.2 TSI Yeti as soon as it is fixed as we have lost all faith in Skoda as a result of such poor customer care. Such a shame as we loved our Skodas till this debarkle.

We are currently awaiting a £3000 bill for a replacement engine - absolutly no joy from SUK and now proud owners of a Honda. We will sell our 1.2 TSI Yeti as soon as it is fixed as we have lost all faith in Skoda as a result of such poor customer care. Such a shame as we loved our Skodas till this debarkle.

What year is your car, what mileage and service history. Did you oil change at 10k. 

On further investigation, i found out it was just the Cylinder 1 ignition lead that failed. The 4 spark plugs were just replaced for good practice.

When the fix was quoted for, i was told the spark plugs hadn’t been changed at the independent garage where we had the last service (the car has done 32,000 miles and is about 4.5 years old).

I was told as the plugs were a serviceable item and should have been changed at last service, Skoda wouldn’t contribute to the fix.

I’ve gone back to the dealer to highlight the fact that the problem was with a non-serviceable item, not the spark plugs and i should be eligible for some sort of contribution as previously alluded to.

Before putting the car into the dealer, i was told i should get a discount from Skoda because we’ve had 3 out of 4 services with them.

Contradicting what they said to me earlier, they inform me Skoda UK wouldn’t make any contribution as i’d shown a lack of brand loyalty by having the car serviced somewhere else and the car was too old to receive any sort of goodwill gesture.

Skoda UK, after speaking with the dealer, were just reiterating the dealer’s original reason - that the problem was with serviceable parts. They eventually came back with an offer of 20% off the cost of the ignition lead - £12.

Both the dealer and Skoda UK deny any knowledge of there being any problem with 1.2 TSI engine ignition leads or covering the cost of this fix when out of warranty. This goes against what is being said on these threads.

Do people think this is worth pursuing through the ombudsman or is it just a case of Skoda UK favouring some drivers over others?

Have there been any reported failures with the newly designed ignition leads?

Thanks for feedback and sorry about your own predicament. This seems to be the most sensible thing to do from what i’m understanding from the various threads.

It was an advisory issue but it seems similar to my issues with the ignition leads. Skoda seem recognise there is a problem with the timing chains for 1.2 TSI engines built pre 2012 and have covered the cost to rectify it for most other posters on this forum – but not mine (or yours). Again, there is a modified part that has come out in the form of a belt.

I’ve going to post on this thread to separate the 2 issues.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/252849-12-tsi-timing-chain-recall/

There is TPI been attached in the other thread i have posted on relating to the timing chain issues. It might be of use to you in your discussions with Skoda http://www.briskoda....g-chain-recall/