Removing the interior: how do you do it?

Dear all

I recently got hold of a full set of 1/2 leather VRS interior from an insurance write off. Immaculate too!

I've never taken seats out of a car before, so I was hoping to get some tips on how to do it properly from you all before starting. I literally haven't got a clue where to start!

Cheers

Danny

Will disconnecting the battery cause any issues at all? I have heard that it's an 'avoid if at all possible' scenario, but obviously nowhere near as bad as the airbags going off!

Shouldn't do, not sure where you've got that from. All it will do is when you reconnect the battery you'll get a couple of warning lights on the dashboard, power steering, ABS and summat else, you just need to go for a v.short drive to get them to reset.

You won't need to re-enter the stereo code or anything like that.

I am a numpty with regards to working on cars, and I swapped the interior on a VW New Beetle a few years ago, and once I worked it all out, it was simple, I even managed to swap and change the airbag connectors as the replacement came from a older car so needed new connectors! Believe me, if I can do it, then anyone can!

And being a 5 door hatch it will probably be quite easy, I am guessing that when you take the back seat base up as if you were putting the seats down for extra space there is probably a long bar which clips into the base of the car, unclip that and that will come out, the seat back, probably has a couple of bolts at the base? The front seats, guessing its probably slide the seat either all the way forward or back, undo the bolts, then the other way round, undo the bolts, disconnect the airbag connectors, then slide them off the runners, and the same in reverse, then once the battery is reconnected hopefully the airbag light wont even notice you have swapped the seats!!!

Good luck, and pics when you have done it please!!!

Thanks for the tips gents, much appreciated. I'll definitely take pictures during and after the job too.

I didn't think about the electrics before I bought these. Will there be any issues if the seats are from a FL model when mine is pre-FL?

Thanks for the tips gents, much appreciated. I'll definitely take pictures during and after the jon too.

I didn't think about the electrics before I bought these. Will there be any issues if the seats are from a FL model when mine is pre-FL?

I presume the new seats have airbags.

Don't know if there is any difference in the wiring between FL an pre FL.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

It's quite easy if you take it slowly. I had water ingress from somewhere I never found out cos it only happened once so I stripped the interior to get the carpet and undermat out to dry. If you're methodical, it's not rocket science.

Dear all

I recently got hold of a full set of 1/2 leather VRS interior from an insurance write off. Immaculate too!

I've never taken seats out of a car before, so I was hoping to get some tips on how to do it properly from you all before starting. I literally haven't got a clue where to start!

Cheers

Danny

Hi,

Can I ask where u got them from and roughly how much you paid please coz I've been looking for ages and can't source a full set from anywhere. Also did they come with the door cards too? I'm looking into updating my cloth seats as I've always liked the vrs interior and mine are in need of a good clean, Matt.

Hi,

Can I ask where u got them from and roughly how much you paid please coz I've been looking for ages and can't source a full set from anywhere. Also did they come with the door cards too? I'm looking into updating my cloth seats as I've always liked the vrs interior and mine are in need of a good clean, Matt.

Got them from a breakers via an insurance write off, complete with door cards too. They were advertised on eBay @ £400, and I got the spoiler thrown in at the same time too. No idea if this was a bargain or a complete rip-off, but I was happy to pay that for them.

If you want to wait til next Feb, you can buy these off me! :p

Good luck, and pics when you have done it please!!!

Coming...

Although there won't be any of the job in progress and a picture guide sadly.

I woke up on Sunday morning to find half of my car on the road already, as my dad had a crap night's sleep and thought he'd just get started!

EDIT Just seen you've already started. If the airbag connectors are the same, and you don't get any airbag warning light errors, then you're OK, but if you get the airbag light staying on, the airbag units are not the same part number and will need changing. And you'll then have to get VCDS to clear the airbag light.

Thanks Mike. The seats are in, the connectors were the same, and no warning lights have come on. I hope that means I'm in the clear!

Looking forward to meeting you on Thursday and plugging my old beast in!