Protection Under The Wheel Arches

jonceebee

Washing the Yeti yesterday I took the sponge to the underside of the wheel arches, I noticed the front protectors are plastic but the rear ones are of a different material, a sort of rough hard sponge like material. Is there a reason for this, and do all models early and late have this?

My 2012 blackline has the same, so looks like a pan Skoda thing..... I'd have prefered plastic myself- SWMBO's 57 plate Seat has plastic inner wheel arch protectors as well as full plastic sill covers on the underside, rather than stonechip paint. That's got to be better for preventing rust?

This was also fitted to my previous Audi (A4s) and I was informed by a Audi fitter that it was to cut down on spray in wet weather.

I'd have prefered plastic myself- SWMBO's 57 plate Seat has plastic inner wheel arch protectors as well as full plastic sill covers on the underside, rather than stonechip paint. That's got to be better for preventing rust?

Hmm, not totally convinced of this. A plastic cover which could have heaven knows what going on underneath it, or a tough, painted-on protective coating which can easily be checked for damage and repaired/topped-up if required?

I can believe the spray argument as well. I imagine that would work rather like the spiky finish on the inside face of the flaps/wheelguards you see on a lot of HGVs these days.