Proposed Yeti configuration - please tear it to shreds

docc

After a lot of helpful advice from this forum, this seems to be the best bet for my needs. I'd prefer a diesel, but we do mainly short journeys of just 6 miles or so. The 1.2 TSI gets good write-ups from the forum.

Any suggestions to add, remove or change would be greatly appreciated. Tear it to shreds if experience tells you it's flawed. A few additional thoughts if anyone has the time to comment:

The colour (Corrida Red) is a bit of a gamble. I'd prefer metallic, but the metallic reds are too dull. We want something bright and cheerful.

Not sure whether we've gone for the right leather option, either - little experience.

Park assist sounds fantastic- is it as good as it seems on paper?

Space-saver spare wheel according to the dealer will take a full-size tyre. That can't be right?

Would prefer steel wheels (stronger and less stealable than alloys) but not an option - I'm guessing you can down-specify?

Is the rough road package worthwhile?

Yeti Elegance

Equipment Elegance

Engine 1.2 TSI 105PS

Interior style SE & Elegance Onyx Leather

Colour Corrida Red - £0

Optional equipment

1. 17" 'Erebus' alloy wheels - PJH £0

2. Load through front backrest - PHI £110

3. Park assist, park distance control (front and rear

sensors) - PPA £505

4. Rough road package - PK4 £200

5. Temporary space-saver spare wheel with car jack

and false boot floor - PJA £85

6. Textile floor mats - 0TD £65

7. Tyre pressure monitor - 7K9 £100

Thanks for the time - getting close to a purchase now, and it's a question of whether to use a dealer or a broker. Brokers offer a discount of around 15% - I wonder how close a dealer is prepared to get to that? I'm also wondering how far off the new model (or is it just a facelift?) is, because that's likely to bring about discounts.

• Like 1

If you plan on using the vehicle off-road then the rough road pack is worth it. Its not bomb proof but it does offer a lot more protection than normal, especially with the Yeti having limited ground clearance.

Having said that, I have put a few holes im the side protection on my old Yeti when it hit rocks underneath. :giggle:

I'd have lost the TPM and Load through and gone for the heated windscreen.

I'm also not bothered about park assist but it is a cool thing.

overall it is about what i'm considering for next year, colour would be subject to change but that's always a personal thing :happy:

• Like 1

Park assist is brilliant. it works great and it wasn't that much more than front park sensors when I bought my car.

Space saver wheel will not take a full size tyre, as your car will no doubt come with 17" rims, if you are in the UK (You don't specify where you live).

The space saver is 16". Take a look in the technical section at the tyre & rim guide.

Some people have managed to change to 16" Moon alloys, but nobody yet has gone for steel rims instead.

Many of us use 16" steel rims for our winter tyres, although.

Nobody has posted about having had their alloy wheels nicked, but they have posted they can't undo the locking bolts!

A full size spare wheel will not fit properly without modification as the 'space saver' is 195mm wide and the full size is only 225mm.

The dealer supplied mats are better than the factory supplied mats.

Tyre pressure monitor was a no brainer - I hate empty spaces where buttons should be :rofl:

Rough Road Package does help protect the car underside a little, but as mentioned above, it is not bomb proof.

The load through backrest would be useful if you intend on carrying long items inside the car, without a front seat passenger....

Alloys.....they are round and there is one at each corner :giggle:

• Like 1

Park Assist works well enough, but I don't find it ideal for occasional use - you need a bit of practice/familiarity to use it slickly. The 4 key things you need to do are:

1. Think ahead - you can't wait until you're halfway past a space to use it

2. Activate it - you need to be familiar enough to press the relevant button almost as second nature as you approach a suitable space

3. Follow the instructions, eg you need to stop more than momentarily before starting the reversing manoeuvre

4 Resist the temptation to touch the steering wheel while PA is in control

None of this is at all difficult and it will be second nature if you use it eg every 2-3 days. But once a month or less and you'll possibly fumble one of the steps.

Personally, I'd choose rubber mats - much more practicable.

Can't see any real flaws in the spec.

Red ones look good. :)

There are so many black/white/silver/grey cars out there it's nice to see a bit of colour and it also compliments the Yeti's slightly quirky styling.

You haven't given any hint of where you are based, so we can't guess at the sort of local terrain. You did say way back that you favoured 4x4, and you've now included the rr package - but park-assist sounds dreadfully urban. Spare wheel - yes, a 'must' IMHO. Rubber mats rather than carpet, as suggested above. I'm a bit of a sceptic about TPM; it wouldn't have told me about any of the flats I've suffered any earlier than I knew about them myself. How about going DSG?

Re possible FL/new model, don't worry about it. You've been thinking 'Yeti' since last summer - just order it and enjoy it :yes:!!

Appreciating the replies, guys. This Yeti is (as one or two have picked up on) a bit of a slow-burner, but every time I come on here I learn new stuff about the vehicle and what we want/need seems to be evolving. I've moved away from the 4x4 on the basis that we don't often need it here (rural location, but frequently driven into town) and that winter tyres might be a better and cheaper option.

DSG? I know very little about that and perhaps need to research it further.

Rough road pack probably not necessary (no off-road, but some roughish roads) but thought it might offer better overall protection, given that the plan is to keep the Yeti for 10+ years.

And the reason for the delay? Old cars just keep on going, and a feeling that there are some pretty good deals on the present Yeti just around the corner! :)

spec looks good. Personally I have a bog standard elegance other than the sunroof. It's nice and makes the cabin airy but it never really gets opened up (ie the hail / snow / rain even in Mid may precludes opening it). Not sure I'd bother with the park assist, TPM or rough road either. I've driven plenty farm tracks and army training areas with no real worries but I guess if you have the option peace of mind is worth it.

DSG owners swear by them but I've always had manual cars and the manual was what was in stock so that was an easy decision.

Spec looks pretty good though.

The temporary spare levels up the boot floor with the bumper, which robs space but in some ways makes the boot more practical. It comes down to how much height you need in the boot, and how well you can manage with a can of gunk (i.e., generally within easy reach of a tyre depot).

I would agree with previous postings that the rubber floor mats are a lot more practical than textile, and look quite smart when hosed off.

The Elegance spec is well equipped with all the usual toys. Everything else becomes personal preference, especially if you are aiming to keep for a long time.

After a lot of helpful advice from this forum, this seems to be the best bet for my needs. I'd prefer a diesel, but we do mainly short journeys of just 6 miles or so. The 1.2 TSI gets good write-ups from the forum.

Any suggestions to add, remove or change would be greatly appreciated. Tear it to shreds if experience tells you it's flawed. A few additional thoughts if anyone has the time to comment:

The colour (Corrida Red) is a bit of a gamble. I'd prefer metallic, but the metallic reds are too dull. We want something bright and cheerful.

Not sure whether we've gone for the right leather option, either - little experience.

Park assist sounds fantastic- is it as good as it seems on paper?

Space-saver spare wheel according to the dealer will take a full-size tyre. That can't be right?

Would prefer steel wheels (stronger and less stealable than alloys) but not an option - I'm guessing you can down-specify?

Is the rough road package worthwhile?

Yeti Elegance

Equipment Elegance

Engine 1.2 TSI 105PS

Colour Corrida Red - £0

Optional equipment

1. 17" 'Erebus' alloy wheels - PJH £0

2. Load through front backrest - PHI £110

3. Park assist, park distance control (front and rear

sensors) - PPA £505

4. Rough road package - PK4 £200

5. Temporary space-saver spare wheel with car jack

and false boot floor - PJA £85

6. Textile floor mats - 0TD £65

7. Tyre pressure monitor - 7K9 £100

Thanks for the time - getting close to a purchase now, and it's a question of whether to use a dealer or a broker. Brokers offer a discount of around 15% - I wonder how close a dealer is prepared to get to that? I'm also wondering how far off the new model (or is it just a facelift?) is, because that's likely to bring about discounts.

Hi docc, welcome to the group. :)

No sunroof???

:sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:

Add that to your list also, you'll THOROUGHLY enjoy it :D

• Like 2

Park assist works brilliantly. I would not have added it (or the sun roof for that matter) but the car had it when I adopted the snow monster.

I have only used it a few times as my space awareness is reasonable not to need it but given the extra cost over just adding front sensors it is quite a cheap useful addition. It was fantastic a several months ago when visiting someone where parking was a right pig. My Yeti spotted a small space between two black cars at night and in the rain with no street lights. Yeti parked perfectly, actually in a space that I would have possibly driven by. Oh and it you want to have a giggle, if you have the sun roof as well wave your hands out of the roof as it parks.

Oh and the sun roof is a real gem with the blind rolled back even it is not open. So much more light in the cabin. Even better when the weathers good and it's open.

This is all really helpful, guys - I do appreciate it. The more tips like all these, the better chance I have of getting the right car for the next 10 years. Sending a link to this thread to the wife now for her to see - she'll be driving this as much as i will, and it was her idea (obsession, actually) to get a Yeti in the first place!

We've had two puctures, both times picked up by the TPM system, saving us a flat.

Light comes on, check and see it's down to around 20psi, drive to garage to have puncture fixed. :)

I considered the fold flat passenger seat but didn't go for it in the end. I have since found that reclining the standard seat's backrest and folding 2 of the rear seats gives enough room to fit in 2.4 metre lengths of timber at an angle. Like you I wanted a bright colour so chose Corrida Red. Be aware that long term exposure to sunlight might cause fading with this colour, though VAG paint seems better than others in this respect and I have a feeling that even the solid colours have a protective clear coat these days - others may know more. I chose the Gobi Sand trim as it gives a lighter feel to the interior.

I'm on my second. First a 140 Elegance diesel, not a good choice for my typical use as it threw the Dpf light a few times. My new one (Today!!) is a petrol L&K. Very early impressions are that it is lighter on the controls and nimbler. It is the 1.8 and very much brisker without as yet thrashing it.

It is significantly thirstier but over my likely mileage won't be more costly by much -if at all.

L&K trim is the answer if you may want a sunroof. You also get the full parking gizoogle and a heated windscreen together with the really excellent Columbus, a better wireless with better connectivity and a fine sat nav.

• Like 1

OK - just to summarise:

General consensus seems to be to drop the mats, which I'll do. Fold-flat passenger seat would be useful, but doesn't seem to be available. Park assist obviously works, and we'll keep that. Concerned about possible fading of Corrida Red - which i need to ckeck out. Gobi Sand trim sounds better than black - if it can be kept clean! Sun roof might be an idea, though with air con we've rarely used the one in our present VW. I'm assuming the aircon's good - no mention of climate control in the spec.

Modern red paint is a lot more fade resistant than it used to be.

The Elegance has Climate Control as standard. It is good.

Have a look at the colour of the Gobi.

I always thought it was beige/sand. But when I saw one in the dealer it was more like a mushroom colour?

If you want a bright scarce colour how about the new Shark Blue like this one:

http://www.briskoda....50#entry3240477 (with a white roof as in the photo below)

http://www.briskoda....-se-shark-blue/ (with a standard roof)

8682944319_9949fd1b83_c.jpg

As to the rest of the spec. Looks good but to add leather to an SE? You are super close in price to just getting an Elegance which has the leather as standard plus MANY other features to boot. Have you read this thread below:

http://www.briskoda....to-think-about/

I think it is an Elegance Johann.

Yeti Elegance

Equipment Elegance

Engine 1.2 TSI 105PS

Colour Corrida Red - £0

I think it is an Elegance Johann.

Oops... I got stuck on the " Interior style SE" in there... :giggle:

It is. Rather like the Shark Blue, though!

It is a bit bright for most people, but I think it is the ONLY fun, bright true Yeti colour you can get the car in. Apart from white which is not really a colour.

• Like 1

I have JUST been on the Skoda configurator & cannot see the 1.4Tsi engine for any of Yeti the Models!!!!!!!!!! :o

Does anyone know if this engine has been removed ?