K & N Air Box

MacFadyin

Has anyone gone the whole hog and fitted this?

57S-9501.jpg

I've bought one in preparation for having the engine chipped but am not 100% happy with the instructions. It's a long weekend here so thought I'd ask on the forum

The intake hose (top right in te photo) is routed to the bottom of the radiator, too low IMHO for wading, although the instructions mention boring two holes in it (?) these would seem insufficient. Is it possible to hook up to the original intake at the top of the rad.?

Air intake that low down is asking for trouble!!

I have never been really happy with the concept of the K&N system on a diesel car. I can see the increased air ratio working in a petrol car but not with a diesel. Plus there have been stories in the past of the oil used affecting various air meters in the intake tract.

It's a long weekend here too - sorry I've not got a clue about the k&n system though. :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Graham.

First time I've fitted one to a diesel though my Chevy and the Harleys seemed happy enough with them. Looks like an ABS elbow will be fitted and bring the hose back to he original intake. The airflow through it should definitely be greater. I blew through one, and an original as comparison. Also with the increased service intervals nowadays, OE filters must be pretty near their sell by dates come service time

The oil shouldn't be a problem if I follow the instructions on cleaning the filter, There should be no oil left on it..

Will have to go to the little room and ruminate.

The oil shouldn't be a problem if I follow the instructions on cleaning the filter, There should be no oil left on it..

Err.....no.

When you clean one you then have to re-oil it, as it is the oil that acts as the dust trap.

I always fitted them to my petrol Skodas, and think the only one I ever noticed it made a difference to was my "somewhat" tuned 130 Rapid.

Will have to go to the little room and ruminate.

Never had an issue myself and I've had an uprated filter on every car that I've re oiled every 10-15k miles. However, I do put it on the oven for 20 minutes after oiling on a medium heat. Yes, I kid you not. :)

Current ITG setup in place on mine which I've yet to clean.... (and apologies about the dirty engine bay after the last offroad session!)

IMG_0007_zpsa639719d.jpg

Been there, seen that, ,she's got the T shirt.

gaelicthing_zps2f71bc98.jpg

Her tshirt has spelling errors (although 'tu' is the correct spelling in Irish) :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Never had an issue myself and I've had an uprated filter on every car that I've re oiled every 10-15k miles. However, I do put it on the oven for 20 minutes after oiling on a medium heat. Yes, I kid you not. :)

Current ITG setup in place on mine which I've yet to clean.... (and apologies about the dirty engine bay after the last offroad session!)

IMG_0007_zpsa639719d.jpg

I took one of these off my Scirocco (tractor), but I haven't fitted it to the Beastie yet. It made a great noise on the Scirocco, but not much difference to performance. I might fit it before summer officially gets underway.......

It'll be a long wait methinks!

OP, if it's just a remap you won't see any benefit from the intake kit.

Unless you are going for big power or spending £££ on a custom map it'll be a stock map designed for the stock intake anyway.

By all means fit it. But it'll shout "Modified" at the Skoda garage if you have any work done.

For just a remap I can't personally see the point.

• Like 1

OP, if it's just a remap you won't see any benefit from the intake kit.

Unless you are going for big power or spending £££ on a custom map it'll be a stock map designed for the stock intake anyway.

By all means fit it. But it'll shout "Modified" at the Skoda garage if you have any work done.

For just a remap I can't personally see the point.

+1. A standard airbox with a paper element isnt restrictive for a stage one mapped car (on the TSi anyway). I only went for it at the stage of swapping the turbo for a larger unit, then there were additional benefits to having the ITG in place. :)

I took one of these off my Scirocco (tractor), but I haven't fitted it to the Beastie yet. It made a great noise on the Scirocco, but not much difference to performance. I might fit it before summer officially gets underway.......

It'll be a long wait methinks!

Very different to mine then. Very little noise, just that you get to hear the turbo working more and pretty much as quiet as standard on cruise. :)

Thanks for all the info.

Must admit, I hadn't considered the attitude at the garage after fitting it.

This is the first car I've considered re-mapping. In the past, small block fitted to Chevys and Harleys and all responded to air filters with larger area/less restriction, plus an improved exhaust.

Looks like this was an expensive mistake an will go on Ebay. Plenty of Audi/VW owners out there interested I bet.

Going off topic but still on mapping, and as it's a leap from 103 to 170, would the experts really recommend the larger brakes? or should I just wear heavier boots?

If you are increasing the power and torque by that amount id personally consider the brakes as a 'must do'. Match the OE 312mm disks with some decent pads (and fluid if you intend to be hard on them) and its an upgrade that offers an excellent bang v's buck. :)

• Like 2