Radar Detectors?

Royston

All halfords do is come of off one of these with a round crimp through an inline fuse to a cigar socket that is mounted behind the dash.

They then just plug in your Road Angel/ Sat-Nav behind the dash.

Cheeers

Lee

Well there's a good reason to save your

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an electrical engineer, do you think I'd let an Halfords gimp install my Sat-Nav. ;):D

I installed mine myself, just thought I'd let everyone know what halfords do for your

I have the Micro Roadpilot plus radar fitted.

Can not fault shows speed, warning camera, range, compass heading ,rescue me (shows your position in an emergency), satellite status, time,date and trip control.

It has saved my licence on a number of occasions especially in Nottingham and Nothampton.

It is hard wired in and cost at the time for the radar and Micro

LOGICLEE what about the idiots guide for fitting it to a Furby :)

Not done my wife's Furby but I suspect if you drop the kick panel down under the fuse box you should be able to see suitable connections the same as the Octy.

Cheers

Lee

I've done both of ours and it's exactly as lee says, pick up some power from behind the fuse panel.

Can't remember off the top of my head which CCT I used now but it would have been an accessory one with a switched live.

There is a back cover on the Fuse Box which pulls off and you can get yourself a wire in there. Make sure you pick up the outgoing fused side though.

I ran the cable into the void above the fuse box and along to the door pillar, then you can squeeze the cable along the edge of the dash.

I posted pics ages ago of SWMBO's S3 here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/showpost.php?p=320050&postcount=28

You can just see the wire to the right.

Andy

They are two completley different products.

B2 is a speed trap warning device.

Tom Tom is a navigation device. You can get a speed camera overlay but it is only 'user' maintained. You will have no Laser protection.

If you want the combination of SatNav and detection why not use the Origin's GPS output to a PDA with TT installed.

Andy

They are two completley different products.

B2 is a speed trap warning device.

Tom Tom is a navigation device. You can get a speed camera overlay but it is only 'user' maintained. You will have no Laser protection.

If you want the combination of SatNav and detection why not use the Origin's GPS output to a PDA with TT installed.

Stu I know they are different things.

Not bothered about laser protection, just fixed camera locations.

Probably going with Tom Tom Go.

Stu I know they are different things.

Not bothered about laser protection' date=' just fixed camera locations.

Probably going with Tom Tom Go.[/quote']

The database on pocketgpsworld includes laser sites, which is probably better, as by the time a laser detector has detected that you've been zapped, Old Bill will have already taken speed reading so it's too late! :doh:

I use their database on my ViaMichelin GPS, which unfortunately needs a bit of tinkering to work. It's very good once it's done, though! I gather for TomTom, however, that pocketgpsworld have something you can download for your PC that'll automatically download updates and install them on your Tom Tom unit...

The database on pocketgpsworld includes laser sites' date=' which is probably better, as by the time a laser detector has detected that you've been zapped, Old Bill will have already taken speed reading so it's too late! :doh:

I use their database on my ViaMichelin GPS, which unfortunately needs a bit of tinkering to work. It's very good once it's done, though! I gather for TomTom, however, that pocketgpsworld have something you can download for your PC that'll automatically download updates and install them on your Tom Tom unit...[/quote']

SWMBO has an Ipaq 2110 with the TT3 Navigator kit. We have the Postcode DB as well as the SC DB installed. The SC DB is in no way as useful as the Snooper she has. The SC DB has lots of sites that don't have SC anymore as well as not having some that do. I'm not sure that you can set the SC DB to give you an audiable warning either so it relies on you looking at the screen in which case you'd be just as well to keep your eyes on the road and spot them yourself.

So I do speak from experiance when I say that I don't find it as good, we both have standalone (Snooper S3 and Road Angel) units as well. I also have a little something in the cupboard waiting to go on my car which should overcome your concerns regarding Laser guns :P .

SWMBO has an Ipaq 2110 with the TT3 Navigator kit. We have the Postcode DB as well as the SC DB installed. The SC DB is in no way as useful as the Snooper she has. The SC DB has lots of sites that don't have SC anymore as well as not having some that do. I'm not sure that you can set the SC DB to give you an audiable warning either so it relies on you looking at the screen in which case you'd be just as well to keep your eyes on the road and spot them yourself.

So I do speak from experiance when I say that I don't find it as good' date=' we both have standalone (Snooper S3 and Road Angel) units as well. I also have a little something in the cupboard waiting to go on my car which should overcome your concerns regarding Laser guns :P .[/quote']

I guess it's horses for courses - I can set up my ViaMichelin unit to give audible warnings 30 seconds away from a POI, and then again 10 seconds away. I assumed Tom Tom did something similar. I've found the pocketgpsworld database pretty accurate (including the speed camera relocations after the recent changes on the M60 roadworks), and it's supposedly updated every month.

Fair enough, it means you get 'false alarms' when passing an empty mobile camera site, but if you believe the spin about them being 'safety' cameras, it probably isn't a bad idea to be alert round those kinds of areas. Whether they're really anything other than cash machines is a debate that's already been done to death on here of course! ;)

One thing to be aware of if your 'little something' is what I think it is - rumour has it that the Road Safety Act when it comes in will have provisions that anyone suspected of using any kind of jammer can be done for perverting the course of justice, regardless of whether or not you were actually speeding. I gather Old Bill will keep a record of the number plate of any car that registers an error, and if they notice any kind of pattern, you could be for the high jump. Now it may just be another of Alastair Darling's scare tactics to stop people using jammers, but if it's true, I wouldn't fancy being up before the beak on a PCJ charge - can't imagine you'd be better off than a

One thing to be aware of if your 'little something' is what I think it is - rumour has it that the Road Safety Act when it comes in will have provisions that anyone suspected of using any kind of jammer can be done for perverting the course of justice, regardless of whether or not you were actually speeding. I gather Old Bill will keep a record of the number plate of any car that registers an error, and if they notice any kind of pattern, you could be for the high jump. Now it may just be another of Alastair Darling's scare tactics to stop people using jammers, but if it's true, I wouldn't fancy being up before the beak on a PCJ charge - can't imagine you'd be better off than a

It might still be illegal to interefere with Police Laser transmissions' date=' to have you on the PVC charge they would have to prove intent. All they could prove is yes your Honour, I fully intended to switch my outside light on when I arrived home.

[/quote']

I like that - sorry your honour, it's not my fault the speed detector can't cope with the interference from my automatice garage door opener! I think the CIA would call it 'plausible deniability'!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D:D:D

The guys at Drive Smart are working on their laser 'device' to actually fire at regular intervals and then tell you whether you are too close to the vehicle in front. The fact that it will also jam the police laser guns is effectively irrelevant, because it is a safety device in its own right.... :))

The fact that it will also jam the police laser guns is effectively irrelevant, because it is a safety device in its own right.... :))

As would my device, might stop me geting mugged because it switched the exterior light on. Might stop SWMBO hitting anything else - hmm maybe not!!