DSG Park mode

Trinity2

Is the vehicle supposed to be able to move when in Park?

My experience with other automatics is that when in Park, there is a mechanical transmission lock which prevents the car moving.

My 2010 Yeti moves when in Park, on an incline, with the engine running and the handbrake is not engaged.

Hi Trinity2, welcome to the forum.

Hmmmm, you're in the South East...................Anywhere near Brighton & Hove?? :think:

If it's in park mode, then No, it should NOT move.

Take it to a dealer for investigation.

Thanks - thought not. Not a long way from B&H. Only just bought it so will probably leave it a few weeks to see if there any any other issues to get sorted under the warranty - unless you think it might be serious.

Is the vehicle supposed to be able to move when in Park?

Hi Trinity 2 - Most definitely not! Our DSG does not move in "P"

Quote from the Owners Manual (Page 113) confirms it for you:

Selector Lever Positions:

"P - Parklock

The driven wheels are locked mechanically in this position.

The Parklock must only be engaged when the vehicle is stationary"

Regards......Tony

Don't worry, the DSG Parklock does have some movement, this is normal for Automatics.

The 'Park brake' clamps the rear wheels as most cars, with no movement at the wheels.

The DSG 'Parklock' is a Pawl (or single finger) that engages with a toothed wheel in the Transmission, connected to the output shaft.

To ensure reliable safe operation, there is inherent clearance between the Pawl & Wheel, this gets magnified by the gear backlash & final drive ratio & driveshafts. Regulations allow up to a max of 150mm (6") movement at the road wheels! but it is typically 50 to 80mm.

Most Americans just use the Parklock, without the parking brake, and accept the small free-play.

The Parklock physically locks the driving wheels to the Transmission casing, so the only way the Vehicle will move (beyond the small free-play) is due to wheel tyre slip! more secure than a friction type handbrake.

What you describe is what I have experienced with previous automatics. The movement on mine is rather more than you describe. This first time it happened the car moved forward half a car's length with a whirring noise. The second time it moved slowly in reverse as if it was in gear. This only seems to happen when the engine is running.

Sounds like a more serious fault, maybe the cable adjustment is wrong (between Handlever & Transmission), do the other positions work OK? i.e. P-R-N-D-S

Yes, seem to be quite positive, but will check again tomorrow. The DSG feel is completely different to my previous autos and so I'm not too sure what to expect. For example, when stopping in traffic, I notice that if you keep your foot lightly on the brake, it moves off immediately when you release, but if you press the brake hard you can hear a different engine tone and the clutch fully disengages. When you start again there is a slight pause whilst the clutch re-engages.

Pressing the brake cuts the power to the engine, so maybe lightly pressing it isn't activating the switch. maybe that need adjusting too.

To move off I find the best way is to remove the foot from the brake, then accelerate. in time you get used to it. The last 'normal' auto I used, I had to stand on the brake to stop it creeping forwards.

Yes, seem to be quite positive, but will check again tomorrow. The DSG feel is completely different to my previous autos and so I'm not too sure what to expect. For example, when stopping in traffic, I notice that if you keep your foot lightly on the brake, it moves off immediately when you release, but if you press the brake hard you can hear a different engine tone and the clutch fully disengages. When you start again there is a slight pause whilst the clutch re-engages.

Movement while in park should only be a couple of inches. If it's any more than that I would definitely get it looked at.

The brake behaviour you describe is normal. If you press the brake firmly it activates hill hold (regardless of whether you are on a hill). The brakes the stay on for a couple of seconds when you take your foot off the pedal before progressively coming off. Pressing the accelerator speeds up the process.

Thanks for that, at least that's one thing I don't have to get checked! If the park problem isn't causing damage I'll leave for a few weeks then book a service call. Must make sure the handbrake is well on in the meantime.

Personally i would not put off getting it into a Dealers.

It is faulty if the car can roll forward or back while the Gear Shifter is in 'P',

and it is under Warranty and they will need to supply a courtesy car.

You should be able to sit with the engine running & the Gearbox in 'P' Park, and know that the car will not move.

If the Gearbox is not locking in 'P' park, then you can not be sure what else might happen in the near future.

george

That's quite definitive then. Thanks for all your input. When a car is new to you you don't want to go moaning to a dealer if there is nothing wrong!

I will arrange for it to be looked at asap.

Many thanks

If you press the brake firmly it activates hill hold (regardless of whether you are on a hill).

According to page 102 of the May 2012 owner's manual: "The uphill start assist is active as of a 5 % slope. It is always active on slopes when in forward or reverse start off." So you do have to be on an incline (albeit not particularly steep one) for it to activate - but you don't have to press the brake firmly to activate it: "The system holds the brake pressure produced by the activation of the brake pedal" ie it just maintains the amount of brake that you had applied before you released the pedal.